The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still getting calls on plugging feeders and or destroyed feed chains. Please see link on conversation about newer Mac Dons.
http://combineforums.proboards.com/index....ad=16369&page=1

I have now discovered that many Honeybee's are also not set up right. This come kind of accidently when a custumer had a pair of matching R76s with 36' Honeybee's. One combine plugging feeder and one not. I went threw all the common stuff with the guy and everything fine. I then told him about the nightmare some were haveing with newer Mac Dons. He took my advise and strarted compairing what was different between his Honeybees. He found problem machine had a 14 tooth sprocket next to pump and that sprocket drives the feeder drum. Working machine had an 18 tooth sprocket hear. He installed 18 tooth on problem machine and hasn't plugged feeder in many days. In conversation with a guy running a pair of Honeybees on his R72s I find out they were plugging feeders to often when getting tough and the S77 with wider Dyna Flex had no trouble. JD 9770s were also plugging. He is going to check sprocket size on his Honeybees but I bet they are 14 tooth. What really takes the cake is another call today from guy running three 42' Honeybees on his R72s and he was jumping rear chains. I found out a couple things with him and one is he didn't have any degree of steep helicals and not even the helical extention accross feeder. The kicker is I ask him how many teeth on sprocket that drives feeder drum on Honeybee and he says it is a ways to machines but has replacement in the bin. He goes and gets it and it is a 14 tooth. He'll switch out with 18 tooth and install triangle filler over feeder and see how it goes. It really bothers me when jobber headers are not converted properly to match the combine (this includes shelborne renolds, Mac Don, Convey all, Honeybee, and likely a few more). An improperly adapted header can make the combine look like a piece of crap.

·
Registered
151 Posts
thanks Dan for the heads up, my drive sprocket was 14 teeth will change to 18 tomorrow. I was having trouble plugging in peas once in a while now I know what my problem was. Thanks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
We had trouble with both our Macdon and Honeybee in certain conditions and maybe that was it. But thats why we bought draper headers made by the company that also made the combine. Don't need to "adapt" anything.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Silverluv, Just what you read above. I guess the kit you need for these newer Macdons is a B-5404. You also need to be sure it has a 11cc pump. This pump is described to me to be total length of 3.5" and a 3 3/16" pumping section. Wrong pump is 3.75" total length and 2 1/2" pumping section. The kicker hear is the head may have worked fine the first season when crop was poor but when you hit a good crop everything will change dramatically. I have mainly talked to guys having trouble in wheat and likely spring wheat. Seems like we are blessed up north with conditions that demand everything to be just right (no so so crap allowed).

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Couple things I have heard to help on some makes of draper heads and maybe even good with auger heads installed. That is front drum replaced with posi-feed or angle irons welded to drum like on back drum. There is that transition between header and feeder that is important but hasn't given us much trouble with the majority of heads being high capacity Gleaner heads in our area. Here is something I did to at least a half dozen machines in middle '90s. Instead of over tentioning rear chain I welded a couple ears at rear of rear feed tention straps. I then installed a plate accross feeder with poly pads where chain could come up and bump against. This prevented chain from bowing up half way between tension drum and sprockets. These are still in these machines and working just great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts