The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an acre counter and I was wondering if you guys had one, how you mounted it and hooked it up to the 12 volt system. I want it to only count the harvested acres. I don't want to be pushing the stop/run every time I get to the end of the row. I know I have to put the magnets on the drive wheels, but I have to think of how to break the line connection when lifting up header so it doesn't count the acres I'm not harvesting. This is a great acre counter system that has all sorts of functions. After doing all my research, it's the best one I've seen for this purpose.

Here are the directions:

3.2.1 Basic Junction box colour codes
Red: +12 Volts in
Blue: 0 Volts or ground
Yellow: +12 Volts illumination
Green: Ground Speed input
White: Shaft input
Black: Not used
Sensors
Blue: 0 Volts or ground
Green: Ground Speed input
Brown: Shaft input

7.1.1 To get the area to only accumulate when the machine is in gear, fit the area sensor to a
shaft after the mechanical or electrical clutch. This way when the clutch is disengaged the ground
speed will go to zero and no area will be accumulated.
7.1.2 Another method to achieve this is to fit a switch or relay in line with one of the sensor
leads. If the blue (common) lead is broken, then the sensor will stop working and the area will not
accumulate.
The switch may be operated by a lever or relay operated by another switch or power source.
Old washing machines are a source of cheap micro switches (very small movement and accurate)
that may be suitable for this use.
7.1.3 Other types of sensors may be used, provided they supply their own power and have a
digital output that switches between 0 and 15 volts representing 1 pulse per revolution.

·
Registered
299 Posts
What brand of counter did you buy? What kind of combine you putting it in? I had an old 1480 that I put a Micro-trak unit on it. I put the speed sensor magnet on the right main wheel drive shaft. Put the acre counter on/off sensor magnet on the feeder house engagement arm so when I flipped the feeder house switch, the engagement arm with magnet lined up with the mounted sensor, thus staring the counting procedure. Worked real well. Might mention that you might want to load your bin half full for the first time to calibrate the distance traveled as the extra weight on the drive tires makes them smaller when loaded. As far as hooking to the 12volts, I just found a keyon/hot wire and hooked to that. The ground was hooked to any metal in the same area.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After looking at all designs and finding this one hard to find, I chose the KEE TECHNOLOGIES "Area Managment System". This unit is very simple to operate. It will tell you the cummulative acres/hectares total as well as the field sub-totals. It also keeps track of the time you run the machine. It has your current speed as well. It also has a RPM monitor for a shaft and also has a utility lead for allowing it to tell you when the bin is full or anything else (Nice on the 14 and early 16 series)! It is one of the most accurate systems out there. I believe Topcon bought KEE out. I really appreciate your ideas of hook up for the on/off for measuring when running the machine. I have come up with several ideas myself for the bin sensor (a micro-switch or photo eye from Radio Shack) and I like your idea best about the feeder house engagement. I was going to do it with the electrical system, but this will work mechanically with two magnetic switches. I tied in the power under the console (you don't have to use 12 volts from the machine with these because they have a 9 volt battery you can use for years without replacement) and it retains memory with/without a battery or wiring. It is a little smaller then I thought (about 3 inches wide, 1 inch depth, and 6 inches long) which fits nicely in the cab. Really nice hookup systems (weather proof connectors) and a break-away as well. Easy to read digital readout and backlight. My model is a AMS2E and came from South Dakota but the units are made in Australia. So far I am very happy. I'll try to post updates if interested.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts