The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see our cash strapped government has been selling OUR fleet of grain hopper cars over the last couple of months on GC surplus. Wonder if we will ever see any of those proceeds considering we paid for those cars thru the CWB in the day?

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
They make decent hopper storage for seed lots. Years ago we bought a scrap one that was damaged in an elevator fire. Cut off the bogies and put it up on some cement. Cut off the hopper slide doors and made a smaller hopper bottom on each one. Wish we had another one sometimes. (but not at $50k and no way to get it to me!)

·
Registered
485 Posts
They make decent hopper storage for seed lots. Years ago we bought a scrap one that was damaged in an elevator fire. Cut off the bogies and put it up on some cement. Cut off the hopper slide doors and made a smaller hopper bottom on each one. Wish we had another one sometimes. (but not at $50k and no way to get it to me!)
How did you move it?

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Not totally sure. It was a bit before my time. I'll ask my dad when I get a chance. It moved a total of 6 miles on gravel roads only. It would have gone under one power line too. I assume a house moving company rigged it with wheels and moved it with a semi. The rail bogies had been cut off by the scrappers at the site of the fire. Here on the farm we hired a crane to move it onto the cement pillars we poured. Works great for storing seed. The end compartments are about 1000 bu, and the middle two are about 800 each. I stored fertilizer in one compartment one year. Worked pretty well. Turns out the train cars have a pretty tough epoxy paint on the inside which seemed to still be in decent shape despite the fire.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Did we (Farmers) not pay for those cars twice?
Well all I could find out is when the CWB was given to G3 and I use that term loosely I see reference was made to 3300 CWB rail cars were expropriated so I'm thinking those cars were in fact paid for by anyone who delivered grain to the CWB.
The rest of the hopper fleet I think was owned by the government of Canada ie taxpayers.
Essentially given to the railways to use for essentially nothing as long as the railways did the maintenance?
I know farmers are billed in the railway cap for the maintenance but I highly doubt the railways ever spent what we were deducted.
Or maybe I'm totally wrong.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I don't think you are wrong! The rail companies were paid handsomely over the years.

Privatization of government services seems to be quite popular, but in reality tax payers always end up paying for it twice when it happens no matter what token payment the private entity paid the government. This is true of utilities, crown corporations, etc. It never results in lower consumer costs and more competition. Would that it did, but I've never seen an instance where it did.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Maybe I remembered this wrong, but I remember reading about 6-7 years back about upgrading of train cars to hold more. I think they were upgrading engines too so they could pull more of them. Something like 50% more capacity per train.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts