The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We put a rock through one of our 8010's yesterday and are renting a 9120 while it is repaired. When I went to change the chopper speed(after running it for 2 hrs) I found the bearing at the speed selector collar so hot I couldn't touch it! I went over to our 06 8010 and it was warm but nothing like the 9120. I went over to a neighbor with 4 9120's and his are all quite hot too. Dealer was out this afternoon and replaced bearings on both sides of chopper and the small bearings on the through shaft as well as the 2 bearings in the shifter collar but still running very hot. I don't want a second insurance claim in one week!! How hot are others running? Do You think it will cool down with time?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does this apply?:

"When operating the chopper in low speed, fully disengage the counter knives.

Operating the chopper in low speed with the knives partially or fully engaged can damage the inner and outer chopper shaft or bearings. Feeding slugs of crop material through a chopper operating in low speed with the counter knives engaged places bending loads on the chopper shafts and drive components.

Chopper vibration caused by bent shafts or missing chopper blades will damage the chopper bearings. Do not continue to harvest if chopper vibration occurs."

·
Registered
96 Posts
on our new to us 07 8010 I was walking behind it one day in barley and could smell smoke. There was smoke coming from the right side of the chopper. We thought that our bearings were gone so we changed both on the right side. They still run hot. after several phone calls I've been told that they just run hot and to give them a shot of grease every ten hours. That is what I have been doing and keeping straw and chaff out of the bearing area. I've wondered about a bent shaft, but I can't seem to feel any vibration, and we always run in high with knives fully engaged.

·
Registered
102 Posts
farmerjones-

I am sorry that you have had a bad experience with a red combine. Others on this forum have had great experiences with them. The people on this forum are looking for insight on their problems not just another side comment that doesn't solve a thing. I know you love your green combine and that is fine, JD makes a good combine as well. However if you haven't noticed JD forum along with any other color also has farmers asking questions about their machines. In other words I am tried of all your negative remarks and please keep the remarks to yourself and actual answers to the problems posted. Thank you

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The mechanic shot it at 215 deg befor the bearing change,was running the same after....will check it again tomorrow,will have over 25 hours on it by then. I guess if I went this long without trouble its going to be ok!!! Tryed it in hi and low,no differant. We have the knives dropped down as far as they will go...............On a side note, what a differance from the fine cut chopper in my 06 8010's to the mega cut in this combine!!! The in cab spreader speed adjustment is nice too!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As for Farmerjones, we have two 06 8010's with close to 2000 hrs each,have never had a chopper brearing fail, dont know of any neighbors with that trouble either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts