The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can’t remember if we have ever had a forecast that has so many days above 30C in a row. Our crops are okay for now here around Red Deer. How’s everyone else’s areas doing?

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Not good Hanna East to Saskatoon. Couple weeks of heat and stick a fork in it

·
Registered
375 Posts
Crops like barley and wheat that were planted on last years lentil or pea stuble are very hurt now,quite burnt up already, seeing it a lot in the peas too.The wind with the hot temps is not helping.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Getting dry. Starting to see serious moisture problems in some crops. Any recropped stuff has never been doing as good as fallowed crops. Overall I would say it not far from average looking for this area. Had a great start. A week of 90 plus heat is not average! June is normally our wettest month. I got about 0.7" total this month. Way behind in moisture for June.

With everything in the forecast, I decided not to trade in my wife's vehicle at the moment even if we do get a trade in price for more than we paid for it. That should say something.

·
Registered
500 Posts
An inch in total since the end of may here nw of Edmonton. Hay crops will likely be the poorest since 09 or maybe even 02 i dare say. I suspect by next week at this time there will not much left to do but decide how much to cut for feed. I doubt we can make it through the 38 forecasted for Wednesday without huge heat damage.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
An inch in total since the end of may here nw of Edmonton. Hay crops will likely be the poorest since 09 or maybe even 02 i dare say. I suspect by next week at this time there will not much left to do but decide how much to cut for feed. I doubt we can make it through the 38 forecasted for Wednesday without huge heat damage.
**** I thought Edmonton was wetter then hell.

hay crops **** in my area. 1/4 bale acre. Maybe a hair better if lucky. Guys already looking 3-4 hours away for old hay. Good luck trying to find it. It’s dry from my area all the way to us border

Reactions: RunninREDharD

·
Registered
500 Posts
**** I thought Edmonton was wetter then hell.

hay crops **** in my area. 1/4 bale acre. Maybe a hair better if lucky. Guys already looking 3-4 hours away for old hay. Good luck trying to find it. It’s dry from my area all the way to us border
Edmonton has had more than us for sure, dryer as you go west. East of Edmonton has had more no doubt as well. 24 inches last growing season was measured 5 miles away from the home farm, what we could do right now if we had been able to save one inch of that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Had 6/10 ths in the milo area this morning but it's dry out there. Got it just in time. Won't survive high 30s.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Good morning all.
Where I live (nw of Maple Creek SK.) we had 3.5 tenths of rain yesterday , which was an inch short of what we really needed. We are sitting on about three inches since spring thaw. We have had more wind this spring than I can remember ( I'm 52) but 30 + degree days with hot SW winds are what's really hurting us down here. spring crops are holding but another week or two of hot dry winds and we will have crops heading out that are a foot tall. Got a feeling I will be cutting crop for green feed this year. Spoke for two loads of new hay out of southern AB for 180/t delivered. No , that isn't a good price , but I won't be putting up much hay this year. Gophers are a real problem also. Never poisoned in so many areas as I have this year. Getting lots of walking in! LOL.

Take care all.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Our crops look better than I have seen in a LONG time (south of Peace River, east of Grande Prairie). We had a much needed 1 to 1.5 inches of rain last week that was just what the doctor ordered but I don't know what effect this heat wave will have. The wind has been relentless all spring/summer and doesn't seem to be letting up yet so things may just change quickly for the worse the next 5-7 days. Most of the canola is just starting to bolt and only the odd field of peas starting to flower.

·
Registered
204 Posts
BBCH stadium 40 till BBCH 49 I would say, when the heads are formed within the stalks.
(But I am not a professional)

But actually most critical is the germination... xD
The earlier the drought happens, the more can be ruined

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hot weather? I am really sorry for you farmers in north east USA and west Canada...
I didn't even now this is possible in this region.

48°C or 119 °F

Althought I thinks its not big agricultural region, I bet we will read about massive wildfires next week :(

Kennewick (Washington):

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Kennewick is a big agricultural area. There are huge farms there. It's right along the Columbia river. they do have lots of irrigation there, but this heat will no doubt take its toll on the crops. 48 is insane for that area. And I see on the map 30+ temps up into the Yukon. Talk about accelerating permafrost melt. Wow.

1 - 20 of 221 Posts