The Combine Forum banner
201 - 220 of 221 Posts

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Hehe not sure if my sunglasses emoji came through

Never checked out T/C. That’s way to rich for my blood
Panama…..if I could only talk the wife into it. Sadly the way the crops are going I’m lucky to make it to a stocked dugout

Need to find another bottle of scotch or pack of unopened hockey cards to sell hehe

Reactions: bmich

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Some sort of limit, also it’s a market time period through October markets compared?
Yes the prices are based on daily averages in October posted to the pdq website run by the Alberta Wheat Commission for most crops. They use Statpub for specialty ones. It’s all viewable online on the Wheat commission website and statpub.com

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
So how do your premiums work, if your insurance prices go up by 50% does your premiums go up the same? I’m a bit jealous, wish SCIC had the same program but our provincial government doesn’t like to throw much money into ag.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Yes the prices are based on daily averages in October posted to the pdq website run by the Alberta Wheat Commission for most crops. They use Statpub for specialty ones. It’s all viewable online on the Wheat commission website and statpub.com
I can’t see this not getting interesting with all the contracts that will need to be dealt with before the end of year. Anyone in Agstab or GARs gets to claim buyouts as a expense. But how in the world is anyone going to establish a realistic price on Specialty crops, Barley or Oats?

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
So how do your premiums work, if your insurance prices go up by 50% does your premiums go up the same? I’m a bit jealous, wish SCIC had the same program but our provincial government doesn’t like to throw much money into ag.
Nope. what they quote in the spring is what you pay. Our premiums will be rising in the future after a big collection this year as your discount/surcharge is based on how much you/the government have paid into the program versus what has been paid out. So because of the massive crop prices combined with massive drought, AFSC is going to pay out FAR more than they ever have. I expect a rise in premiums beyond the surcharge/discount portion, could even see them ditching the variable price benefit.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I can’t see this not getting interesting with all the contracts that will need to be dealt with before the end of year. Anyone in Agstab or GARs gets to claim buyouts as a expense. But how in the world is anyone going to establish a realistic price on Specialty crops, Barley or Oats?
AFSC sets it off the websites I mentioned earlier. I don’t know what Gars uses, I’ve never been in the program beyond getting a quote years ago.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I would swag that the current price levels would handily pin the max 50% variable rate on all crops?
As it currently stands I’m not sure there’s a crop that won’t. Lot of time between now and November 1 but based on fundamentals it appears very unlikely that crop prices will collapse.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
As it currently stands I’m not sure there’s a crop that won’t. Lot of time between now and November 1 but based on fundamentals it appears very unlikely that crop prices will collapse.
Add another week of hot weather and another heat dome showing up

·
Registered
979 Posts
This one is different then 2002 or 1988. There is a unbelievable amount of grain contracted for Fall and beyond. Look at the boats of Barley booked to sail to China. Grain company’s didn’t hide the fact they where selling it as fast as farmers where willing to sell. I personally know lots of guys that sold 13ish Canola 15-20bu acre for fall and that’s going to hurt yet. Oats is now over 5 bucks for fall in multiple places.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
What does everyone think the top end on Durum is? $15 at Ceres, $14.75 at P&H, Pioneer sitting around $13.50 at the moment.

I'm probably one of the few with a pretty decent crop this year. We lucked out with a pretty large amount of rain this growing season but also a bit of hail on lentils. Hoping for 40 to 50 bushels on durum, 25 to 30 on lentils(might be down to under 20 depending on hail damage), and my mustard might go 18 to 20.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Scic has the in season crop price option. Can go up by 50%.

3 or better durum will be over $20/bu

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Scic has the in season crop price option. Can go up by 50%.

3 or better durum will be over $20/bu
That’s good to hear, just out of curiosity do you pay a premium for it or is it standard? I’m guessing AFSC is gonna push for it to be a premium option going forward.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
What does everyone think the top end on Durum is? $15 at Ceres, $14.75 at P&H, Pioneer sitting around $13.50 at the moment.

I'm probably one of the few with a pretty decent crop this year. We lucked out with a pretty large amount of rain this growing season but also a bit of hail on lentils. Hoping for 40 to 50 bushels on durum, 25 to 30 on lentils(might be down to under 20 depending on hail damage), and my mustard might go 18 to 20.
grats man.
If it was me once it’s in the bin I’m selling 25%. It’s win win. Ain’t no stop losses on prices. Also I’m sure your a smart fellow but no way in hell am I dropping bags in the middle of no we’re or storing grain in bins were I can’t keep an eye on them. All the **** we got will be truck back to our main yard

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
grats man.
If it was me once it’s in the bin I’m selling 25%. It’s win win. Ain’t no stop losses on prices. Also I’m sure your a smart fellow but no way in hell am I dropping bags in the middle of no we’re or storing grain in bins were I can’t keep an eye on them. All the **** we got will be truck back to our main yard
I made the mistake of selling 30k bushels of 1 AD at the end of June for $9.50 because I figured that if I did that then I'd have enough bin space. Since then, we got more rain and now I need to drop some bags no matter what. Luckily the bags will be right beside the yard.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I made the mistake of selling 30k bushels of 1 AD at the end of June for $9.50 because I figured that if I did that then I'd have enough bin space. Since then, we got more rain and now I need to drop some bags no matter what. Luckily the bags will be right beside the yard.
Hehe good problem to have

·
Registered
799 Posts
As much as I have always been a proponent of the AFSC program it does have some glitches. Their Spring price on HRS was $6.12/bus and exactly the same as the CPS. This price was not reflective of the market at all last Winter up until Mid march when they came up with their price and they still have not been able to explain that to me. The $9/b that will cap this one is quite a bit away from the over $11 that got last wk. The lower prices were good for ins prems this Spring, but since we are one of the ones who definitely make much more than what we pay in(AFSC ins is as good an input as there is) I would almost like to pay higher premiums.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
As much as I have always been a proponent of the AFSC program it does have some glitches. Their Spring price on HRS was $6.12/bus and exactly the same as the CPS. This price was not reflective of the market at all last Winter up until Mid march when they came up with their price and they still have not been able to explain that to me. The $9/b that will cap this one is quite a bit away from the over $11 that got last wk. The lower prices were good for ins prems this Spring, but since we are one of the ones who definitely make much more than what we pay in(AFSC ins is as good an input as there is) I would almost like to pay higher premiums.
I’ve talked to a lady higher up with that complaint but basically they just project what they anticipate prices to be in the fall and go from there. Thankfully the fall price is set in a transparent and objective way. I think a lot of setting the low prices is simply to lower their risk. Absolutely would be doing a lot better if they had set higher prices with higher premiums but unfortunately there’s not much we can do about it. Perhaps the government caps how much total money they’ll pay into the program so they have to keep a lid on the premiums? I don’t know, Regardless guys who insured at the full 80% are going to be in pretty good shape come insurance time.

201 - 220 of 221 Posts