·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Think we’re suppose to be hotter then Arizona lol

Reactions: coolio

·
Premium Member
5,902 Posts
If the heat that is predicted comes it is going to take a lot of yield off the crop. Every time it gets in the 30s this summer it is also windy which is a bad combination. With the dryer past four years it was often the cool summers that saved our butt.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Kennewick is a big agricultural area. There are huge farms there. It's right along the Columbia river. they do have lots of irrigation there, but this heat will no doubt take its toll on the crops. 48 is insane for that area. And I see on the map 30+ temps up into the Yukon. Talk about accelerating permafrost melt. Wow.
But don't worry, the extra cold winters we've had make up for the tiny bit of melting from these warm heatwaves.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
But don't worry, the extra cold winters we've had make up for the tiny bit of melting from these warm heatwaves.
Whose extra cold winters? We're definitely seeing cold winters here in southern Alberta as the jet stream weakens and lets the arctic air down more often. But up in the arctic winters are definitely warming (although still cold by our standards). It's getting harder each year to maintain the ice roads. They can't be used until later in the winter, and are unusable earlier in the spring.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Durum here looks decent from road, but get on top of it and it’s already burning up bad and flag leaf is just emerging. Put some refine out yesterday to clean up some weeds since canopy isn’t filling in worth a hoot. I think it’s the worst looking durum I’ve had at this stage since 2001/02. Guessing 18-20bpa. Two hot weeks that will be lowered.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Super cold (but dry) winters and hot dry summers are a double whammy! Is it too much to want 15-20C weather year round? :)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Whose extra cold winters? We're definitely seeing cold winters here in southern Alberta as the jet stream weakens and lets the arctic air down more often. But up in the arctic winters are definitely warming (although still cold by our standards). It's getting harder each year to maintain the ice roads. They can't be used until later in the winter, and are unusable earlier in the spring.
My apologies, I was being facetious. There is constant talk of how cold our local winters are. In reality, everyone focuses on the cold snaps and makes jokes about "Gee, where's that so called global warming?" They never seem to remember the entire two months of November and December that have been close to 10 degrees warmer than they have been.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Easy primer , poking fun at somebodies misfortunes will come back and kick you in the a ss! This drought is gonna hurt some families in the pocket book.
I wasn't poking fun at anyone's misfortunes. My comment was directed facetiously at the "Talk about accelerating permafrost melt. Wow." I thought I had edited the quoted reply to signify that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's getting UGLY from.the road, its downright depressing up close. Durum dessicating without making it to the flag leaf! There will be fields that dont see a combine let alone even a baler. Getting seed back in some instances is going to be an issue.

The longer this heat lasts, the worse it's going to be!

SE AB.

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Pretty well every crop south of Calgary is done. I’d estimate an average of a 60% drop in yield across the area. Lot of guys will not combine.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Dry here at Kitty Litter SK. Not looking very promising anymore. Not looking to cut grain crops for feed just yet.

·
Registered
759 Posts
So we want to have that argument of how to wet is worse then to dry…..I dare ya:geek:
Too wet is worse. Atleast in a drought you don't destroy the equipment in the mud and tear the land a new ******* with sprayer and combine ruts. Then have a 250,000$ propane bill for grain drying, along with the heating canola midwinter because you dried it too fast.

And Im saying this as we are in extreme drought area right now.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I will be putting off any equipment purchases I had planned. I wished I would have kept more grain in the bin. We have had about 1.5 inches since April, not much winter snow and hot dry winds that come unrelenting after the showers. Ravines still look okay but hilltops are red and dead. Those spots won't make it out of shot blade. With this weeks warm weather forecast, there is not much hope left. We have been in a 1930s scenario since 2017. Get a few tenths of rain and then a hot dry wind that never seems to end right after. The only difference between the '30s scenario and now is farming practise. Back then the dirt was in the air due to ploughing, harrowing and crop rotation/summerfallow. We did see enough dirt in the air already but i am sure looking at the blowdirt in fence lines it was much more worse in the 1930s. A good indication of the drought is the promising Russian thistle crop that is abundantly growing on the land.

I have pretty well only sprayed during the night as most daytime wind is in the 8-10 mph range wtih gusts up to 15 mph. I have a weather station on the sprayer so I watch it pretty closely.

I think the crop is "well rooted" and to the point of exhaustion!

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
you must never have grown 5 bus and acre canola on 20 plus inches of rain then.... they are the same coin just different sides.
The 80 bu wheat crop would make up for it;)

Tell that to most my friends that run 200-400 head of cattle. The cattle boys can never get enough rain.

·
Registered
500 Posts
The 80 bu wheat crop would make up for it;)

Tell that to most my friends that run 200-400 head of cattle. The cattle boys can never get enough rain.
yup it did, 80 bus a quarter is real nice. Well when your still making first cut in August and September like 2019 that don't work either, you can have a feed shortage either way. I wish for neither but I prefer neither either.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Silage!!!!

The boys would kill for some black hay. Still better then nothing. If you can find hay

21 - 40 of 221 Posts