The Combine Forum banner
41 - 60 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
I’m my area it can’t get to wet. But all areas are different. No crop for what ever reason sucks.
We will combine here, but it’s going down hill fast.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
I’m my area it can’t get to wet. But all areas are different. No crop for what ever reason sucks.
We will combine here, but it’s going down hill fast.
Im dryier!!!

It could rain for 40 days and 40 night and two days later guys would be scratching around!!

Reactions: 440duster

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
I don’t doubt that. We have had around 2-3” of rain since spring thaw.
I will be driving to Lethbridge next week, so I will witness what southern Alberta looks like

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
I don’t doubt that. We have had around 2-3” of rain since spring thaw.
I will be driving to Lethbridge next week, so I will witness what southern Alberta looks like
yup about the same.

actually right off of my deck we have probably got an inch more rain. Couple clowns bursts. Hoping that will give me enough seed for next year. Ain’t no Winners around this year sadly

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
yup about the same.

actually right off of my deck we have probably got an inch more rain. Couple clowns bursts. Hoping that will give me enough seed for next year. Ain’t no Winners around this year sadly
So what happens when a clown bursts? I'll bet it's colorful, and probably funny. Confetti everywhere maybe?

·
Registered
943 Posts
These droughts are getting old. 4 out of the last 5 years drought conditions.
We have had 2.6" rain since April 1, and 0.8" estimated moisture out of the April snow storm.
On the bright side the fungicide bill will be pretty low this year, ...again.

.....Cancels bin orders.....

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
We had two short thunder showers yesterday. It was actually the first thunder that I’ve heard in 2021. About 3 weeks ago we had a general rain of two or three inches. Most people are likely at the 4 to 5 inch rain accumulation since spring. There is a lot of shabby looking crop in the area that went into dry soil, but I think most crops still have a chance of turning into something here in SW Manitoba.

These are some oats of mine. They look about as good as the better crops around from the road. Most later crops have much worse staging issues. This crop is purposely nitrogen limited. I may have under-done that a little bit, but I doubt if enough biomass exists there to cause the plants to wilt in the hot weeks ahead, I hope. This crop is about knee high, but not even lush enough to be considered fully canopied on 10 inch spacing.

The water table on our grasslands is actually higher than it was late last fall. We should get a medium amount of grass hay and we also have great pasture. Unfortunately many folks have already overdone their pastures last year and this spring I think maybe, since we’ve transited into the semi arid zone again, which just happens here through the decades. This soil is about 2 notches better than the sand dunes 3 miles away.

Flower Plant Terrestrial plant Grass People in nature
Sky Plant People in nature Natural landscape Grass

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm in SWMB also. 5.8" on the year. Crops look good considering. So much will depend on July rainfall. If we get 6", it could be very good. If we get nothing, it could be very bad.

Even the best crops aren't canopying like normal. You can still see the rows in wheat that's heading and canola that's flowering. Lots of bare or thin patches in most fields.

Hoping we don't get too much of this heat.

·
Registered
174 Posts
60 miles nw of saskatoon.....2.3" for the year, all crops look like they may be done if the heat stays for 2 weeks.....no sub moisture, frost on the 21st of june, starting to believe in global warming.

·
Registered
98 Posts
After reading most of the comments it’s going to be real interesting after about 10 days of heat what everyone’s crop is going to look like. I think we are going to find out just how big the small grain stocks are. We actually have had around 6.5” of rain at our farm in North Dakota but we are a small are area. You don’t have to go very far to find way less.

·
Registered
752 Posts
SE of Edmonton an hour we've had 4.5-5.5" and crops did look quite promising overall but this heat is hitting them hard. Peas/fabas are starting to bloom and getting pushed, cereals are flagging/prematurely heading due to heat (nature's plant growth regulator), canola is anywhere from 5/6 leaf to 10% bloom. We just have no experience with this intense and length of heat, low humidity so that is helping. Not sure how things will play out but its hard to watch is all I know.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Looking okayish here west of red deer. Hail second week of June really hammered our hay crops but grain seems to be doing alright with the rain we have had. Again, will be very interesting end of this heat what things look like. Really watching weather patterns closely this weekend if a cold front appears then I feel like the hail could finish us off. I have a few pens of lambs really suffering in this heat, doing what I can but it’s hard to escape it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
We farm 90km south of saskatoon. 3" total this year with zero subsoil moisture going into last fall. Lucky enough so far that the rains were coming at just the right time but no real precipitation since the 2nd week of june and the oven has been on high. Crops are short but are holding on, but for how long. Hay is abysmal and pastures are past the point of growing. 3 of the last 4 years have been hard but this year is showing us what's what. Interesting times!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I don’t know how you folks who get lots of temps over 30C do it. We rarely get a day or two in the whole summer over 30. I am not a hot weather fan!

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
For some reason I seeded light this year. Shall see if that is better in a drought or not? Worked last year, why not again. My HRS has been slow going and some is starting to head out in this heat. It will be a short crop. I can find some moisture 3" deep. With zero precip and 90 plus highs as far out as forecasted... The whole HRS and pulse area of America looks like it will hurt huge. I am guess all of 50% less than average yields. Some might not be harvested at all. Insurance companies will cry. We will fight to get to paid.
Maybe get good crop prices for the little there is to sell. Help with insurance prices for next year? I remember dry, very dry. I never remember this much heat for so long.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I can’t remember if we have ever had a forecast that has so many days above 30C in a row. Our crops are okay for now here around Red Deer. How’s everyone else’s areas doing?
In 1931 the weather station at Ft. Qu'Appelle reported 13 days with 30 or higher temperatures in June of that year. The highest being 42.2 on June 27th. One stretch had 4 days 30 plus the other had 5 days, it had 2 days in a row 40 plus!!!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
In July of 1931 they reported 15 days of 30 plus weather, with the longest stretch of 8 days 30 plus and 2 in a row 40 plus in that same week!!! the highest being 43.3 and you want to talk extreme it froze June 20th it went down to -2.2 of that year.
That’s crazy!!!

41 - 60 of 221 Posts