The Combine Forum banner
81 - 100 of 220 Posts

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,823 Posts
I don’t know much about your crop insurance details over there but what happens to your Premiums if there is 100’s millions or billions of pay outs??
Do insurance companies stop covering crop failure after an event like this?
More stringent rules next time?
Just Wondering..............

Reactions: Grainline

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
In Alberta it’s covered by the provincial government unless your in a gars type program. So in theory it’s safe

·
Registered
709 Posts
Manitoba crop insurance is covered by three entities. The farmer, Provincial and Federal government. Each about a third. A lot of farmers are going without crop insurance. Our crop insurance does not cover cost of production . We also have a Federal program called agristability but that one is designed for a complete farm failure so rarely does anybody collect from.
Phantom 970, does the Ozzy crop insurance cover cost of production and also are you happy with your crop insurance?

·
Premium Member
2,472 Posts
In Montana crop insurance is subsidized by federal government. All of states are. We have lots of options on how much insurance coverage we get. What type of coverage. Usually does not cover cost of operations if you had a 100% failure. If things hit just right and you had just the right coverage, it is like going to Vegas and you can make money. Insurance companies are the ones making the money at the end of the day.

Cost and rules do get changed as farmers figure out the system or are getting paid enough to make any money on the system.

·
Registered
320 Posts
In Montana crop insurance is subsidized by federal government. All of states are. We have lots of options on how much insurance coverage we get. What type of coverage. Usually does not cover cost of operations if you had a 100% failure. If things hit just right and you had just the right coverage, it is like going to Vegas and you can make money. Insurance companies are the ones making the money at the end of the day.

Cost and rules do get changed as farmers figure out the system or are getting paid enough to make any money on the system.
Lanwickum, you guys have gone through some dry years there. How would you compare things to previous dry years you’ve experienced? Would you say it’s similar conditions statewide? Where I am guys cutting hay is 25-30% of normal. Crops aren’t going to be good either but we won’t measure that for another month with the combine. Looks similar to 01 right now. Of all the bad looking crops here peas are looking the worst. Canola not far behind.

·
Premium Member
2,472 Posts
Lanwickum, you guys have gone through some dry years there. How would you compare things to previous dry years you’ve experienced? Would you say it’s similar conditions statewide? Where I am guys cutting hay is 25-30% of normal. Crops aren’t going to be good either but we won’t measure that for another month with the combine. Looks similar to 01 right now. Of all the bad looking crops here peas are looking the worst. Canola not far behind.
I was working in BiIllings for 01 and mostly missed that. They didn't need help with harvest that year. Had a few guys tell they only used 1 bin that year. '88 was summer fallowed then and I would compare more to recropped stuff now. I was 10 in '88. We did have early moisture this year. Very early seeded stuff, some winter wheat is looking ok. Winter triticale for hay looked great for many. It is all burning up. Just can't handle the heat. I dug in some spring wheat the other day and there is moisture, not a lot. Heat stressed and heading out very short. Because of the early snows during seeding and the 2-2.5" rain we got at the end of seeding, crops are all over the board. 5-30 bushel spring wheat potential at the moment? Looking at fields around me. If we can get some moisture to fill it out. Peas are poding but are short, not many pods. The heat is getting us more than anything. In my 11 years farming this place, this crop will burn up more than any crop I have seen.

I ordered all new skids plates and crary cutting system. Everything short this year but my winter wheat. My 2152 would be very beat up at the end of harvest. Thinking a bat reel would be a good idea. Might get those paddle fingers for the reel. Driving combine won't be as fun as some years. The combine will cut every acre for me. WIll be something there.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,823 Posts
Your safe then with continued crop insurance
That’s good to hear

it’s getting to the point over here that one can barely insure a header.
Rumours are there’s only 2 companies now that will do it.
God forbid if you ever write one off.............
Iam Speaking from a professional contractors point of view not as a primary producer.

·
Registered
99 Posts
In July of 1931 they reported 15 days of 30 plus weather, with the longest stretch of 8 days 30 plus and 2 in a row 40 plus in that same week!!! the highest being 43.3 and you want to talk extreme it froze June 20th it went down to -2.2 of that year.

SK, That is WAY too close for comfort to our current weather cycle had frost on June 21st, and then 2 weeks of 30+ heat. Weirdy it is exactly 90 years ago or for those climate change morons 3 - 30 years climate cycles.

How dose this season end? in 1931 was there an early frost? Another open winter?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
1/4" here last night. Watching the radar last couple days there were some heavy rains in Sask but my area was missed. Abnormal for here to be that hot that long. Especially without a thunder shower. Forest and lakes here usually bring moisture but we have been thin with rain this yr. My later seeded barley has leaves dying off so it is dry. Hoping for more rain shortly to get back in the game here. The 30's are out of the forecast finally here. You know it's hot when you are watering gardens and trees in flower gardens and cats seeking shade and cool in the thick brush come flying out with a look of disgust lol.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Radar showed pink and red over top of me. Amounted to less than 0.1mm
Can't trust any weather station this year it seems like
Yes the radar is a joke really in this country. Where I live is between 2 radar circles where they overlap. It is just projected I believe because it is off by 40 miles sometimes. You got to ask yourself in this day and age of sub 2" accuracy of auto steer we pay for, the radar the government supplies us for weather is beyond archaic for accuracy. You can only use the data collected when it is apparently close and then look at the sky and estimate where that cloud actually is and perform your own predictions. I was custom spraying fungicide at 3 am and there was lightening and a big system 30-40 miles straight north of me. On the radar there was apparently nothing there. The lightening to the west of me 80 miles or so to the west of me was showing up as a storm on radar. Makes me think this country could have skud missiles entering from the north undetected. Glad the Canada goose doesnt rely on Canadian radar because the buggers would be in a different location every year.

·
Registered
689 Posts
SK, That is WAY too close for comfort to our current weather cycle had frost on June 21st, and then 2 weeks of 30+ heat. Weirdy it is exactly 90 years ago or for those climate change morons 3 - 30 years climate cycles.

How dose this season end? in 1931 was there an early frost? Another open winter?

Thanks
In 1931 on Aug.10 down to 2.8 and Aug. 28 1.7, the first frost Sept. 23 down to -1.7 and it froze 3 days in a row!!! The kicker on Sept. 28 it went up to 28.3 and on the 30 down to 0.

·
Registered
675 Posts
In 1931 on Aug.10 down to 2.8 and Aug. 28 1.7, the first frost Sept. 23 down to -1.7 and it froze 3 days in a row!!! The kicker on Sept. 28 it went up to 28.3 and on the 30 down to 0.
If this happens this year. There will be no corn or later seeded crops for that matter.
Hang on for the ride!!
It’s going to be big.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Obviously MAN MADE climate change back in 1931also?? Or maybe just Mother Nature doing whatever the hell she wants, then and now!!!
I’m sure the climate change gurus/scientists and carbon tax pushing politicians were pissing down both legs with this heat wave we were having…saying “told you so”!!
Hoping everyone gets some moisture out this. Had 4 tenths here the night before and more in forecast today🤞🏼

·
Registered
624 Posts
60 miles nw of saskatoon.....2.3" for the year, all crops look like they may be done if the heat stays for 2 weeks.....no sub moisture, frost on the 21st of june, starting to believe in global warming.
If you truly believe this last stretch of weather is unprecedented and due to man there is zero basis for that. Earth is 2 billion years old. The Great Plains have always been dry and wet. This is the dry part of the wet part and where we get averages. We are not the most consistent place on earth for rain. Actually one of the most difficult to forecast for rain. So if we can’t forecast weather we sure as hell can’t forecast the accumulated weather(climate) 40 years from now.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Obviously MAN MADE climate change back in 1931also?? Or maybe just Mother Nature doing whatever the hell she wants, then and now!!!
I’m sure the climate change gurus/scientists and carbon tax pushing politicians were pissing down both legs with this heat wave we were having…saying “told you so”!!
Hoping everyone gets some moisture out this. Had 4 tenths here the night before and more in forecast today🤞🏼
Climate Change Carbon tax is all about getting into power and buying votes. With at least 1/3 of Canadians within $200 of not being broke the Carbon tax rebate Cheque gains PMJT their vote. Perpetual government and reduced freedoms. Sit back and think about it. Don’t look through the eyes of a farmer. I live in SW SK we like our freedom a bit more than the rest of SK. Keep heading east and the Liberals gain favor. This Heat Wave is playing right into their hands.

People don’t realize that with todays instant media we can view what’s happening on the other side of the world in a second. That information used to take months to reach us. Now its in HD in the palm of our hand. Tearing down a few more statues will fix the weather? The other thing that’s funny the government here in Canada actually is under the delusion that we matter on a global scale. Canada is small potatoes.

81 - 100 of 220 Posts