The Combine Forum banner
101 - 120 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Yes the radar is a joke really in this country. Where I live is between 2 radar circles where they overlap. It is just projected I believe because it is off by 40 miles sometimes. You got to ask yourself in this day and age of sub 2" accuracy of auto steer we pay for, the radar the government supplies us for weather is beyond archaic for accuracy. You can only use the data collected when it is apparently close and then look at the sky and estimate where that cloud actually is and perform your own predictions. I was custom spraying fungicide at 3 am and there was lightening and a big system 30-40 miles straight north of me. On the radar there was apparently nothing there. The lightening to the west of me 80 miles or so to the west of me was showing up as a storm on radar. Makes me think this country could have skud missiles entering from the north undetected. Glad the Canada goose doesnt rely on Canadian radar because the buggers would be in a different location every year.
This seems typical when people decide something needs to be "improved". The old radar was quite good. I could see the rain and predict within 15 minutes when it would get to me almost every time. Then the government decided to "update" it and it didn't work as well so they decided to "update" it again. Now, it is pretty much useless. I can SEE that to is raining, sometimes POURING a few miles away and the radar shows nothing. I was lamenting a similar situation to the wife just yesterday. Years ago, when i wanted something I could type it into google and find it. Now, I type what I am looking for and I get all sorts of unrelated $hit coming up and it does't matter how detailed (or generic) I make my search, I get the same list of unrelated $**** and most often can't find what i want. I asked my wife to try to find something for me because i was having limited success and a bit later she started to laugh. Apparently, she was searching tools and home improvement and among the results she got was a box of tampons. While with a little imagination one could consider tampons to be a tool and perhaps a form of home improvement, I don;t think anyone LOOKING for tampons would be searching those titles. We see this all too often these days with pop,e whose job requires them to make changes to stay relevant lest their job disappear so we get solutions in search of a problem. It is evident everywhere from safety procedures to EPA regulations to weather radar and Inet searches. Pendulums always reach a zenith then swing back the other way.

·
Super Moderator
4,113 Posts
There is an app a friend forwarded to me called
Weather Office

Just like old good radar…except
You have no control of
animation
speed
no rivers
no general Canada image

But at least it’s a square and a way better image.
Also note only a one minute image delay and 11 images per hour. Some radar sites are still 7/hr.
Image two finger stretches on phone, IPad does not.
Radar image site is auto selected by location you provide.

Get the feeling the main site is going to remain ****ing garbage.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Up there is hardly farmable land.

I live in northern germany, not scandinavia.
We expect a pretty good harvest tbh. We only had 3 weeks without rain in may/june which made the light soils suffer. Cus plants were pampered with rain before.
Just started barley harvest with 8.5t/ha 127 bu/ac.

Wheat and canola looks good aswell.
We are lucky here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any impact on crops Arcus?
Laponia (partially above the Arctic circle) is not a very strong agricultural region unless you count rein deer. The Swedish part of Laponia has only about 9 000 ha of arable land in total (less than 0,1% of the area), primarily small scale farms with animals or gardening.
In the parts of the Scandinavian peninsula where agriculture has a stronger presence, the spring was unusually wet. Either you seeded before rain, or very late after it. Our tenant finished the week before Midsummer, which is extremely late. At least around here on the east coast we're used to a very dry spring/early summer, being careful with soil moisture, but this year is different. My neighbours say that it will be costly to buy all that silage wrap this year, and they don't bother to cut the grass in some fields as they've already got more than enough. It's fairly warm here, but we're far from the heat wave of 2018.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Laponia (partially above the Arctic circle) is not a very strong agricultural region unless you count rein deer. The Swedish part of Laponia has only about 9 000 ha of arable land in total (less than 0,1% of the area), primarily small scale farms with animals or gardening.
In the parts of the Scandinavian peninsula where agriculture has a stronger presence, the spring was unusually wet. Either you seeded before rain, or very late after it. Our tenant finished the week before Midsummer, which is extremely late. At least around here on the east coast we're used to a very dry spring/early summer, being careful with soil moisture, but this year is different. My neighbours say that it will be costly to buy all that silage wrap this year, and they don't bother to cut the grass in some fields as they've already got more than enough. It's fairly warm here, but we're far from the heat wave of 2018.
I just want to thank you for posting. Same to Arcus. Always interesting to learn how it is done in other parts of the world, and updates on crop conditions.
Please post more often.

·
Registered
157 Posts
8mm 2 weeks ago here. (Minitonas,MB area) Had a good storm about 2 weeks before that with 2" in it. Wheat is headed out and pretty much done flowering. It looks decent so far. But with +30⁰ temps for the next 2 weeks and no moisture in the forecast I have a feeling they are going to go backwards eventually. Hope I'm wrong.
Canola is thin and hasn't cabbages out like normal.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
We have had just enough rain to keep things going but I am pretty sure that week of 30-35 took some yield off canola for sure. Combine will tell the story.

·
Super Moderator
4,113 Posts
I just want to thank you for posting. Same to Arcus. Always interesting to learn how it is done in other parts of the world, and updates on crop conditions.
Please post more often.
You mean there is more to the world than Kneehill County?!

X2!

The perspective of others around the world with the different practices, climate and results are certainly enlightening!
I also appreciate these inputs, thanks all!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Parents were up around east of Camrose and said there were some real patchy crops up that way. This heat and little rain is unusual.
Your right Don, there might be half the straw material of a normal year, so yes, less fuel usage per acre.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
I believe the heat this summer could be one for the record books. Looking forward, the forecast just shows hot and dry, fine if your at the beach, not so good for us farmers!

·
Registered
187 Posts
And we constantly get rained out here in west/central europe... tracks will definiately be needed again this year.
Atleast for the barley we wont have record yields anymore...
1st too much at the ground
2nd 3 weeks of heat when the heads were filled.

Grains are very smal and light, only around 55kg per hectolitre.
But we got lots and lots of straw :/ First fields were 7.5 to 8.5 t/ha

101 - 120 of 220 Posts