The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From studying here and other places i've got it in my head to go for 2014 or newer, and was concentrating on walker machines.

If i don't go walker, the hybrids that fit my budget are high houred or pre 2014.

So is dynamic cooling and whatever else is really worth paying way more for?

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I use a 2011 740. I have never had an overheating issue, or engine or radiator plugging issue. They get blown out about once a year. I question if dynamic cleaning really keeps the sides of the combine under the shields much cleaner like some claim. I doubt it would be noticeable. Lexions take a large amount of time to keep clean under the shields daily or once or twice a year.

There are good improvements at 2014 in several things like the pulley drives, autosteer, turning radius, dynamic cooling (I guess) and other things. You also get the joy of more emissions.

I would say the weakest point on our machine has been The HEUI fuel injection portion of the Cat C9.

Would you mind sharing your budget for the combine alone?

·
Registered
81 Posts
The dynamic cooling is worth the extra. We have 2012 750 with the wiper for rad cleaning and it is horrible compared to the old style round ones and even worse than dynamic. We have all three and dynamic is way better. Nothing worse than having nice warm day for thrashing wheat and have stop to blow out rad.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$250k tops for budget, to allow money for head and stripper.

What year did they get DEF or maybe even worse with some brands the regen stuff?

Always been good about daily maintenance and blowing off the combine each mourning wouldn't be an issue, but wouldn't be happy if it got during cutting.

100f to 107f days are the norm for wheat.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you tell what the older ones have for cooling?

Squirrel cage with what appears to be the wiper is visible on the 740 photos, but haven't found a 760 pic that shows anything.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The 2010 760 I had used a sliding vacuum cleaner for the front of the radiator. On very windy days combining corn occasionally corn leaves would get caught and plug the vacuum. Claas made a ridiculously expensive leaf shredder kit that you had to buy to fix the problem. It helped a lot but didn't totally solve the problem. Now own a 2014 780 with dynamic cooling and have had to blow out the radiator core at least twice during a thirty to forty day season of use per year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts