The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting into a Case SDX series or JD 1850/1860, and a Shelbourne-Reynolds stripper header for wheat, and seeding into the wheat the following spring with the single disc.

Question is, how are the single disc openers with tall straw (as in 2.5-3 ft)?

Am I going to run into problems with really tall straw? With hair pinning, If I have sharp discs (change regularly) can I get away with it better?

·
Registered
683 Posts
They can hairpin like a mother. However a disc or disc hoe is about your only option depending on how thick your straw is. We use a cross slot in our stripped straw because of the hair pinning, a neighbor ran a JD disc in his this spring and wasn't too happy. He might have had some settings wrong I've heard though. You'd want sharp discs though.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Is the straw is standing you'll be good to go. Our razr will slice through a redious amount of residue but it has it's limits. The more straw standing in the air te better it works. Two year old straw doesn't seem to be an issue, no issues slicing through that.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Standing straw is better than on the ground. And long straw on the ground is better than finely chopped chaff to cut with a disc.

Disc drills are ideal for standing, stripped stubble because they don't need to cut it. Try to limit the amount of driving you do in the field that knocks over the straw between harvest and seeding. Keep yourself on the headlands if possible, and even then stay diligent to staying on previous tracks.

The more stubble you can keep in the air, the better the disc will seed.

A Deere will cut residue better than the Case because of the smaller disc, but you will have to change blades more often.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
We are demoing a Sunflower 9850 60' are ounce the area. I am impressed why is has done in all conditions, followed, no till stripper head, no till cut wheat, and it has worked well in nearly all conditions. Only place we saw hair pinning was where the ground had been worked and the crop material under the soil but in the soft soil was where it pushed. We ran at around 10 mph, and will be watching emergence and growth compared to Deere, Case, and Crustbuster.

I have a short video and will try to get it posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.