The Combine Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Trying to figure out a true cost to run a piece of equipment is fairly complex, depending on what all you want to consider operating costs or repair costs. A machine with only a couple expensive breakdowns will look worse on paper than a machine with a lot of small, inexpensive repairs, but if you take into account the cost of downtime, the machine with the cheaper repairs might actually be worse. No time can you include accidents or operator error breaks into the repair costs when comparing machines, that's not a fair comparison. Consumables should be added into the repair costs as some brands will cost more in some departments than others. Regular maintanence should be included also because if you think you are saving money on filters and oils, it will show up in the actual repairs! To some degree, operating costs like fuel can be included in the overall comparisons. For example, our CX we have uses between half to 2/3's the fuel our CR's used, so if we end up putting more money into the CX for parts than we did for our CR's, it will still likely be a cheaper overall machine to own and operate. It's a fairly grey area when trying to compare one machine to another. Every farm will do it a different way, and doing it by acres/hours/bushels is up to you as long as you do it the same for all machines.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
It's a fairly grey area when trying to compare one machine to another. Every farm will do it a different way, and doing it by acres/hours/bushels is up to you as long as you do it the same for all machines.
It’s hard to compare from one farm to another. Crops and conditions change things a lot. Even on ours when going from a cx to a Claas. When compared per hour the cx would be cheaper but per acre the class comes out less expensive to run.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
It’s hard to compare from one farm to another. Crops and conditions change things a lot. Even on ours when going from a cx to a Claas. When compared per hour the cx would be cheaper but per acre the class comes out less expensive to run.
Yep, no farm is the same & no crop is the same ..... year in year out ..... it's always different.

From may years of running green, then yellow & now back to red, they all wear out the same bits & pieces about the same time. Green was hard on a few belts in certain places. Yellow is hard on belts & chains ...... don't really know why. Red ..... well it doesn't have many belts & chains .... BUT ..... those front engine idler bearings are a severe PITA!
Green was a POS until I changed lots of pieces & turned it from a corn/bean machine into a grain machine.
Yellow ..... has the biggest capacity (of those mentioned) ....... BUT .... has very high wear areas that are costly.
Red ..... had to turn that into a grain machine as well ....... very reliable & very simple with very low daily maintenance ...... about 95% capacity of yellow.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yep, no farm is the same & no crop is the same ..... year in year out ..... it's always different.

From may years of running green, then yellow & now back to red, they all wear out the same bits & pieces about the same time. Green was hard on a few belts in certain places. Yellow is hard on belts & chains ...... don't really know why. Red ..... well it doesn't have many belts & chains .... BUT ..... those front engine idler bearings are a severe PITA!
Green was a POS until I changed lots of pieces & turned it from a corn/bean machine into a grain machine.
Yellow ..... has the biggest capacity (of those mentioned) ....... BUT .... has very high wear areas that are costly.
Red ..... had to turn that into a grain machine as well ....... very reliable & very simple with very low daily maintenance ...... about 95% capacity of yellow.
What are the yellow high wear points? And are you talking Lexion yellow or CNH yellow?

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
What are the yellow high wear points? And are you talking Lexion yellow or CNH yellow?
NH yellow. Don't get me wrong here ...... they're a very good high capacity machine....... & I'm specifically talking about TP (Twin Pitch) machines with capacity, although they all have the high wear issues. Twin Pitch rotors with adjustable top covers are miles & miles ahead of the S3 rotors.
All NH machines are hard on chains & belts. I don't know why ...... maybe they run faster than others or maybe they have tight bends on the belts & chains ...... I really don't know why they wear out quicker.
Top rotor covers - irrespective of type - wear out on the edge where they sharply bend to bolt onto the top rail.
Feed in plate in front of rotors wears out quickly ....... even when stainless.
NH concaves - like just about every other OEM concave - are not that good.
Clean grain elevator components wear out much quicker than Case or JD ..... even the ABR (hardened) version.
Returns system wears out ....... even with low return volumes ...... there's lots of bits to wear out here.
Simply, there's a lot of bits going round & round on a NH & they will inevitably wear out.
Like I said, they are a good machine ...... but be prepared for the wear factor.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
...... but be prepared for the wear factor.
I just wanted to correct your grammar error, pretty sure you meant to say "WOW factor"!!!!!😁😁
You're welcome!!

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I think the wear on combines depends on the region. You guys down in Australia seem to be wearing them out quickly, but I don't see them wearing out as fast here in Alberta.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I remember reading Glenn from Washington say he has to re-chrome his cages every few years so yeah wear definitely depends on region.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
I just wanted to correct your grammar error, pretty sure you meant to say "WOW factor"!!!!!😁😁
You're welcome!!
Ah possibly ...... good try anyway! They (TP’s) are a good machine ........ BUT .......

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
I think the wear on combines depends on the region. You guys down in Australia seem to be wearing them out quickly, but I don't see them wearing out as fast here in Alberta.
Possibly true. Our red dirt is abrasive & our harvesting speeds are a lot faster than yours ........ but maybe yours don’t wear out as fast because yours are covered in snow or frozen solid most of their life! :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you don't want to spend them money then quit farming. You're complaining about the cost to keep a Gleaner going every year? Switch to another brand and see what you think. Been down that road. I'm not going to sit here and say a Gleaner is going to be 1/4 of the cost of other brands but overall I will say running one through inspection every year will cost less than a green one for sure. Not only in parts to be replaced but in labor costs too.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts