The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to hire a couple of guys to work on our grain farm, I am tired of trying to hire local guys in Alberta. Currently I am paying $30-$35/hr for seasonal employees. I am a small farmer, so I can't hire guys full time, but to pay the current seasonal rates I am now for the quality of work I am getting out of local residents is ridiculous.
I want to pay $13-$15/hr for foreigners as they will crash my equipment and care just as little about my operation as the local over paid guys.

where do you guys get your workers from? which doesn't cost $500 just to look at a lousy resume like a certain site vendor here.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
You pay peanuts your not going to get good guys Im afraid, there are a lot of good guys who would love to come and spend a season working in Canada, but they will at least need a living wage, try Southern Impact, they have a website, based in the USA but I know they work with guys in Canada.

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
My custom cutter has south Africans and they have been talented, he cuts with another crew that has his local hoodlums and I would take the foreigners hands down, he said pay was around 4000$ a month because you have to pay him average state wage so we compete with oil, I give my local hands 15$ and they are barely worth 5 so I know what you mean, aint no farm help worth 30$ no way, the oil patch only pays qualified guys that why should we pay the loosers top dollar?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I find it fascinating what people are willing to pay for farm labor. I agree with SWfarmservice....no way is farm help worth 30....

And to say we need to pay a living wage is kinda ironic...until the last few years most of us were barely making a living wage....weren't if you count hours.

I say do research on efficiency. study the Corp. world. Write down what you need to be efficient and look and as many ways you can do it. If you are having trouble finding temp help, during harvest look at investing in bins at the edge of fields. Look at buying larger equipment than you need....sometimes you can buy way more capacity and only pay a little more money. then if it sits 1/2 the time you are max your efficiency! Sooooo many ways to count efficiency! be open minded and look outside the box. I watched my dad go through what you are, and decided that I don't want to spend my time watching 3 other people mess everything up when I can get it done myself and not have to clean up their messes. when you have to pay top dollar for help, the laws of diminishing returns starts kicking in fast....when prices correct, it will take care of some of those operators. good luck and keep us posted on how the out of county people work out!

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Agreed litefoot my wife is always whining that I'm always busy, I tell her I can't afford to give away more money to more worthless help, I will spend alot of hours making ways to save a few min during seeding and harvest, best savoir I got on the farm is my bagging system

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
My custom cutter has south Africans and they have been talented, he cuts with another crew that has his local hoodlums and I would take the foreigners hands down, he said pay was around 4000$ a month because you have to pay him average state wage so we compete with oil, I give my local hands 15$ and they are barely worth 5 so I know what you mean, aint no farm help worth 30$ no way, the oil patch only pays qualified guys that why should we pay the loosers top dollar?
Your funny, up here you have a pulse you get thirty bucks an hour in the patch. Head north and it gets worse...

Learned yesterday there are consultants (babysitters) making sixteen hundred a day now.

·
Registered
880 Posts
we have seasonal workers from europe, we pay them a base price a month and will give them a bonus if they deliver good work (they make more money than an average employee a month) and they get food, vehicle, housing, laundry phones name it included.
The only thing they have to do is act responsible, some do, some don't had really good once had bad once too.
what you are willing to pay is what you don't pay a guy that runs around with expensive equipment harvesting a million dollar crop forget it.
your looking atleast close to 15 or 20, depending what you allow them to have (vehicle housing internet phone etc.)
They most of the time take care of their own work holiday visa's (which takes a lot of time now a days)
we tried working with locals, we only have a few old guys (70+years old) driving combine or tractor but you can't have them to help you to clean bins and poor concrete or what not.
language can be a barrier if you do not speak their language, some are mechanically inclined and can fix stuff, some of them don't even know how to check the oil level.
We advertise in europe, but I have noticed that the newer your equipment is the easier it is to get guys to work on your farm.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Check with your local Tim Hortons or any company with a call in customer service center. They seem to have access to, and be able to hire as many as needed at any given time.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Think the Feds really clamped down on the FTW program. With oil going in the tank it might free up some good people.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Check with your local Tim Hortons or any company with a call in customer service center. They seem to have access to, and be able to hire as many as needed at any given time.
ya sure the guy that's in charge of the coffee maker let him run your 500k combine great idea!
most of the guys we get overseas have agriculture background and study agriculture.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I think the problem is we are one boarder too far north, I can almost visualize the Mexican immigrants ( obviously illegal ) streaming across during the night and by morning you have yourself a whole selection of willing workers, ones that have experience by working miracles in repairs by scrounging through the vehicle bone-yard. Most likely some have farm equipment experience and when you say you'll pay them 15 an hour, feed them, put a roof over their heads ... they would have ear to ear grins and actually want to work.

Obviously this has a slight joke slant to it like the Tim Hortons method but just to illustrate there are people willing to work and not expect the pie in the sky, they just aren't here in Canada.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We advertise in europe, but I have noticed that the newer your equipment is the easier it is to get guys to work on your farm.
I would really be interested how and where you are able to do this?

Some of our neighbours have foreigners, but refuse to let on to how they are hiring them (god forbid I find good help and compete more with them). One hires german students, which are doing practicums or require on farm experience to complete their degrees, he gets them for $15/hr, and they are good dedicated/interested workers from what I hear.
Another has mexicans, about 6 of them, and they are at about the same price.

I tell ya, when I put ad's out, its actually funny, with regards to the responses I get. Everything from asking me to drive them to and from their home in Edmonton to my farm, to many of them expecting it's $30-$35/hr cash in hand, so it doesn't conflict with their unemployment status.

Its a joke, the employees on our farm do no servicing, no maintenance,.. Just hold the steering wheel. I just can't trust them to do anything else, I would have no equipment left. One guy last year ($32/hr ) was so lazy, he would rather not see for days, then wipe his own windows in the combine. I had to always do it.
Some of you have no idea how lucky you are to have good cheap employees.
Its not a matter of What I Want to pay, or What I'm Willing to pay. Its a matter of close the doors, or pay $35/hr for dim wits, in hopes things will change in the future locally here.
I tried to put ads in for $20-$25 i get responses from complete riff raff, illegals, ex-cons, you name it!

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Offer 10, you might have better luck, or atleast someone with just enough brain power to keep the shop floor swept, I have been cuddling up to the wife trying to make a few more hired hands for myself. Haha JK but it is the only option for help where I'm at

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
That's about to end real quick with the amount of oil companycap ex being cut the last 2 weeks
That's just getting rid of the total deadweight, wells won't service themselves.

Somebody has to be making a fortune here, oil prices are under fifty percent and fuel prices have dropped maybe around thirty percent if you factor taxes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.