The Combine Forum banner

How do I spread the residue? and some pics.

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  1640combine 
#1 ·
New to me 1998 CaseIH 2366. I have chopper set on fast speed and full grind. How do I get the line of residue out of the middle as seen in the pictures? The beans are short and thin, running about 13 bu./ac. It was a dry year in West Kentucky.

Refueling with off-road at @2.70/gal. Noticed last week that on road was $3.20/gal.

See less See more
#3 ·
Ok you may have to adjust that divider inside above the spinners if its heavy to one side or the other. Sometimes you have to drill another hole. Just don't drill through the fuel tank(only a couple of inches between them). Get the curved bats like he said 3 per spinner. You can also get a smaller pulley from CaseIH to speed up your spinners to spread it better. I had to do all this in my 2188. All this makes a big difference. One last thing run the serrated stationary knives in the chopper, it chops it up much finer.. Nice pics by the way...Good luck with your new combine. our soybeans only went from 12-25bupa this year because of the drought.

#4 ·
Quote:BigA doesn't that trail look like its all hulls ? makes me think not enough air to get the hulls up off the chaffer and they are just dribbling out and down before hitting spinners

If the spinners on that combine spread the chaff and the straw, then it shouldn't matter. In fact 850 rpm on the fan should be enough. You should set the fan by the amount of trash in the tank, and what is going out the back.

#5 ·
I am not completly fimiliar with the 2388 spreading system so might be off on this but I built a spreading system for our 1688 copied off of the newer system and I also was leaving a trail centered behind the combine. The straw (wheat) was being thrown past the spreaders by the beater and going past the spreaders to the ground. I put in a deflector above the spreaders to direct it down to them and seemed to cure my problem.

#6 ·
Finished the field today. Yield was 14.0 bpa. I will try the curved bat spreader blades, but it looks like it'll be next year. Your right, it's mostly soybean hulls. I did have the fan faster, but I decided to slow it down to save a few beans. Didn't seem to matter on the line of residue.

Here are two more pictures from corn. The first is for bragging at the coffee shop. Monitor shows max yld. of 224, the field made 124 bpa.

All the black dust on the combine is the fungus's?/disease's that exploded in growth after we finally got rain in September. The black dust was like soybean inoculant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.