The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything you read about stripper fronts is very positive, but the one thing that stops most of us buying them is dealing with the extra stubble.
What is the answer ?
Disc seeders
Second cutter bar
Swathing and baling
Kelly chain
Discing
Burning
That extra capacity at harvesting is hard to ignore, what are the owners of stripper fronts doing and are there compromises in yields ?

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Disc seeder.

Why buy an extra tillage tool that takes big horsepower and fuel to pull when you could just buy a drill that can seed into virtually anything.

I think stripper heads and disc drills should be sold as a package deal. They both work best with the other.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Disc seeder.

Why buy an extra tillage tool that takes big horsepower and fuel to pull when you could just buy a drill that can seed into virtually anything.

I think stripper heads and disc drills should be sold as a package deal. They both work best with the other.
I guess you are right about discs and long stubble, but what about chemicals and weeds, surely Treflan would be a waste, or any of those chemicals that need incorporation...

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
A little off topic, but, how would a stripper head work when the crop is lodged?
Here is a video I made a few years back of going through some waterlogged wheat about 30 days after harvest was completed. I went really slow since I could not see the muddy areas, but it will literally suck wheat off the dirt. The only thing I miss with the header is shatter loss caused by hailstorms.

I use a no-til disc drill that will drill through anything. I normally put corn after wheat but with where corn is headed as far as price I see us moving away from corn. We will still use the stripper front because of the added benefit of catching the snow during the winter. If we had 25-30"+ of rain on a yearly basis the stripper wouldnt be near as important but I live in a desert that normally gets 15-18" per year and those added inches of moisture during the winter makes bumper crops possible out here.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Here is a video I made a few years back of going through some waterlogged wheat about 30 days after harvest was completed. I went really slow since I could not see the muddy areas, but it will literally suck wheat off the dirt. The only thing I miss with the header is shatter loss caused by hailstorms.

I use a no-til disc drill that will drill through anything. I normally put corn after wheat but with where corn is headed as far as price I see us moving away from corn. We will still use the stripper front because of the added benefit of catching the snow during the winter. If we had 25-30"+ of rain on a yearly basis the stripper wouldnt be near as important but I live in a desert that normally gets 15-18" per year and those added inches of moisture during the winter makes bumper crops possible out here.
What sort of disc do you use? We have an JD 1890 and have a lot of hair pinning issues. Cheers

Will

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
What sort of disc do you use? We have an JD 1890 and have a lot of hair pinning issues. Cheers

Will
I run a 9433 sunflower, I end up replacing the discs almost on a yearly basis. As long as you have good sharp discs hair-pinning should be the least of your concerns. Its a VERY heavy built drill. I have never seen a JD drill but I'd be willing to bet what your lacking is shear weight pushing down on the drill, I'm inclined to think thats the main cause of your hairpinning issue.

Here's my seeding rig.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
We had a client with a stripper header. His best friend at seeding time was Eddie Match. I never figured out what the big advantage was but it seemed to work for him. And it was really easy to find his drill in the spring - just head for the mushroom cloud.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Could you explain and/or post a pic of what you mean by Disc/Hoe hybrid Mike?
All I see there is straw.;)

Don- Essentially, the disc cuts up front to clear the straw and give you the ability to move faster. The hoe makes a ledge into the side of the disc cut for the seed. Even if you get some straw hairpinning on your disc the seed bed stays clean.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.