The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to sell my pull type sprayer on craigslist and get the inevitable text message from the guy four states away that wants to buy it sight unseen using paypal for his long lost cousin Ralph that just getting back from saving purple fire ants from extinction in northeast Iceland.

What do you guys do with people like this? Tell them to F off? I tend to keep them alive for bit like a cat playing with a mouse just to see how long I can keep them biting. Kept the one guy going last night for about 20 minutes and he kept asking for my paypal email so I sent him [email protected]. That ended the conversation but for some odd reason I felt the need to keep poking send him more messages like Did that work? or Whats wrong? I'd like to send this to you using my shipper... Favorite: Assuming you did not decide to quit being a loser and get a real job, don't drop the soap when you get caught, bitch.

·
Super Moderator
3,041 Posts
Landline
Set to the minimum 2 rings, unrecognized name and/or numbers not answered.
Message states will call back if a suitable to me message left, less than 10% of unanswered calls do, over 80% of all calls bogus.

Cell
No unrecognized names/numbers answered
Same voice message
Three quickie text replies
-WILL CALL BACK SHORTLY
-WILL CALL BACK IF SUITABLE TO ME MESSAGE LEFT
-IN JAIL, WILL CALL BACK...LIKE IN TEN TO TWENTY!

This has completely eliminated bogus call frustration!

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I got a voicemail today from a guy in Las Vegas wanting to buy my heavy harrows I have listed on Kijiji. Maybe I should actually call him back, only had one other call so far!! Must be a busy place he was calling from, could hear other phones and people in the background. Usually if I have time I will jerk them around for as long as they will take it, unbelievable how stupid some of them are!!

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
Long pause after picking up the phone, Ok..... he's dead... and the body is in the trunk.... NOW WHAT!

That's what I do when I hear my warranty has expired or my shop phone says 800 services is calling me, or even for that matter anyone from Florida

Now has anyone had the problems with telemarketers some how getting finding ways to use local phone numbers? I have been getting calls on my cell with local numbers, I naturally answer because I live in a town of less than 150 so the last thing on my mind is hearing there BS

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Long pause after picking up the phone, Ok..... he's dead... and the body is in the trunk.... NOW WHAT!

That's what I do when I hear my warranty has expired or my shop phone says 800 services is calling me, or even for that matter anyone from Florida

Now has anyone had the problems with telemarketers some how getting finding ways to use local phone numbers? I have been getting calls on my cell with local numbers, I naturally answer because I live in a town of less than 150 so the last thing on my mind is hearing there BS
I've been getting those for quite awhile, have even had my own number call me! With these ones though, nobody ever seems to answer on the other end, not sure what it's all about.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I've been getting those for quite awhile, have even had my own number call me! With these ones though, nobody ever seems to answer on the other end, not sure what it's all about.
I think it's just a system profiling the times of the day that you will answer the phone. They then sell that info to other call centers.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All right, I need help on this one. I know its a scam but I need to identify how it works.

Selling a chopper head, guy, by text message, wants to give me asking price plus $50 to hold it, can't look at it, will send check when its deposited he will send a shipper.

Now I've been working this one for about three days. I've got him sending the check via USPS to a fake ish name and a PO box. I've also got him to send it by priority mail so there is a tracking number and it costs him more.

At what point do the wheels fall off? If money is deposited and confirmed deposited, where does one loose?

I've got him convinced that I'm an international dealer in equipment with an impeccable customer service record even getting him to write JD chopper head in the memo line because told him I sold several pieces in the last hour and just want to get it allocated properly, this was at midnight on Saturday.

Taking it another step further I asked if there was room on his truck for a sprayer I sold to Indiana, he is in Ohio, he said yes. Yesterday I confirmed he was sending the check.

Today I wondered if the truck was empty coming my way because I just bought two vehicles off of a police seizure auction in Illinois and was wondering if he could pick them up. I fear that may have spooked him because I have not heard back.

So in short, how does this cashed check scam work?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Ones I've heard about the cheque will be certified but forged. It will be for way more than it's supposed to be for some stupid reason and he will want you to pay him back the overage after you deposit it and before the bank finds out it's fake.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I wouldn't doubt that tswanson is right about the follow through on that scam but have to wonder then if its possible to track who it actually came from as I expect that whoever it is would be covering their rear. However is it possible that this forged check could have fingerprints or dna on it from the person who is pulling the scam. Probably CSI dreaming to think such a crime could be solved in such a way but if you get the envelope it might be worth while to not contaminate the outside of the envelope further, not open it and slip it into a large clean zip lock bag and have a chat with law enforcement to see if they actually can do something with it. Probably pie in the sky to think the law would take much interest in it for how slim the chance of it solving a crime like this would be but one has to imagine that some people fall for it as otherwise the criminals would give up and quit the scam.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ones I've heard about the cheque will be certified but forged. It will be for way more than it's supposed to be for some stupid reason and he will want you to pay him back the overage after you deposit it and before the bank finds out it's fake.
Yeah I think the check has like 5-7 days before it clears a bank but he is only writing it for $50 more, unless its more when it comes.

There is a certain amount of intrigue that goes with this one.

Sometimes I wonder if I've taken it to far. But then I realize I'm enjoying it and it doesn't matter.

Northern Farmer, fully intend on going to law enforcement if I pull this off... sheriff may shoot me when he figures out what I've done. Might have to call Horatio Caine on this one.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
When I get the calls... like your windows pc is gonna implode if I don't download their software I ask them to please hold and I'll get my wife, it's her computer then put the phone on the end table and watch tv at a higher volume.... I just want to waste their time, not mine...

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
cptusa, it would be such sweet justice to catch a creep like this pulling stunts on the hard working in society who are raising food and no doubt that person being handed food stamps to boot. I don't see how your doing anything wrong as your selling a piece of farm equipment, it doesn't get more above board then that.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I had a deal like that a few years ago selling an antique combine. I messed with the guy so long he ended up offering me a job! In that case, the original check wasn't much more than asking price either, like 50 or 100....and he owed a guy money that was going to be "these my shippers" so I would cash the check, hand the shipper the excess, keep a little excess for my trouble. He was supposedly from the UK and buying the combine as an antique for a relative and all.....For somebody from the UK, his English was terrible, I'll never forget that phrase, "these my shippers", and all the other crap....I finally told him I would take cash, for the asking price, on the spot. Then he offered me a job! The "job" was classic Nigerian scam stuff, process wire transfers and keep 10% for myself as a regional marketing whatever.....he described a Chines Motorcycle company we would be working for, I googled that company and sure enough there was a website for it. Weird, then I uncovered word for word the exact same Chinglish description on the website he used in an email... Crazy

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So the saga continues.

Alanzo was to of had the money to me last Monday but its fail to show due to "USPS delivery issues".

He finally provided me with a tracking number today.

I was told he was sending the check for an extra $2930 for shipping and I was to utilize the extra money to end to his shipper. End game exposed, but I'm still committed to the lie so I can't stop.

I asked for the shipper number so I could pay my fair share for the sprayer to Indiana at which point he said was not necessary as that was already included in the price and was no need to contact the shipper. I asked how do I pay him then, are you including a name and address for me to send a check? Alanzo stated that there was no need to contact shipper just need to send funds via walmart2walmart transfer. I asked what a walmart2walmart was and where I would find it and he has not got back to me. I fear I may have spooked him again, I may have to back track a bit on that one. First time I feared I spooked him was when I asked if the shipper could pick up two cars I bought on a PD impound auction. Did not here from him for two days so I had to back track that one saying I was able to sell them where they sat and did not need them picked up.

The tracking number says the package originated in Las Vegas and Alanzo told me he lived in Ohio. If I can get Alanzo to respond I'll play that out as well.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Whew that was a close one but I got Alonzo back in contact.

I told him I tracked the package and he said he was in Ohio and the package originated in Las Vegas. I told him the I feared our communications had been intercepted and I now fear for not only the safety of the transaction but our personal safety as well... unless he was on vacation.

Rest easy now Alonzo is on vacation. I told him I was headed to Vegas next week and had an upper suite booked at the Luxor and if he was still there I'd like to meet him and asked where he was staying. Response: "staying at silverton will be gone this weekend".

My wife says its a bit sad that I find it this entertaining.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts