The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys find employees? Where do you advertise? Anyone with experience with the temporary foreign worker program?

I have been lucky to always find local people to work on our farm, need a seasonal person or 2 for next season and haven’t had any luck locally.

Advertised on kijiji and saskjobs, have had some resumes come in, some from Canada most from other countries. Not sure I want to go down the road of bringing someone on that has never been in Canada.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
I had good luck recently on Kijiji. Needed a guy to run a cat during the winter. My phone lit up like a slot machine within ten minutes. Must have had 25 calls and texts in two days. Out of those 25 only two of them were what I was looking for. During the winter help is easy to come by. A year ago we lucked out and got a good full time guy. Our neighbors farm which consisted of a father and three sons decided to “reorganize” to keep the peace in the family. The oldest son decided to come work for us. He is a relative of mine and we were good friends before this. It’s been almost a year and I think we got everything going smoothly. It did present some challenges hiring a friend and a relative. Me and him will still stop in at his parents farmyard and have a few beer in their shop at the end of the day so everything is good. Other then one full time guy we rely on 3-4 retired people seasonally during seeding and harvest. Also have one neighbor hood mechanic that is only a phone call away whenever we need him. He is basically kept busy between us and 3 other operations in our area which works great.

·
Registered
671 Posts
How did they see the ad?
:eek:k:

We have foreign student workers for harvest, advertise online or get them trough friends or through my old school.

Goverment is making it really hard for us to get them because heir work visa system has changed, apparently we should be hiring these well skilled and motivated refugee familiies i havent seen anywhere yet.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Boy did this thread go south fast lol. I lucked out when it came to finding occasional labor. Unlike you grain guys I am only after help for a day here and there for rolling up hay and some hauling. Turned out one of my spraying customers had a good friend that got out of grain and just kept a few cows so he needed hay too. So now I have another hay customer and free help. He refuses to take cash when I offer so I have to have the wife sneak out to the field and sort of hide it in his truck for me. Went as far as electrical taping a hundred over a crack in his tractor seat while he was hauling his bales. Took him a week to notice it, but couldn't stop laughing when he found it.

·
Registered
766 Posts
My employees came from my wife's womb.
My father worked on that principle. So much so that he didnt even own a tip truck until all the kids finished school and escaped. And we had a large VERY rocky farm.
Pick em and throw em on. Then when you got about 10t go to one of the many creek crossings he made and throw em off :crying:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts