The Combine Forum banner

How do you handle diesel exhaust fluid (def)?

• Bulk/pump/nozzle

• Jugs

• Deleted the need for

• Have never needed

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Realize that but only care when you do handle def.

Hmm., could add I guess.
Done!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Carried some in 5 gal Jerry cans up the rear ladder of NH 10.90 combine. That was not fun as I used 12 gallons a day. 1000l tote with pump was simple enough. Then the system shut me down 2 days in a row when it was cold. 🤬 Was shut down for a few hours on the 3rd morning as the tech deleted and reprogrammed with an addition 65hp. :cool:. Have a lot more room in the service trailer without the tote in there

·
Registered
484 Posts
Only equipment that needs it is the sprayer. Trouble free and around 30 gal a year so jugs work. Truck that had it got deleted when the whole system was needing to be replaced. Hope a new system is devised before any more trucks need to be updated.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I carried 10L jugs up the ladder until I fell from half way up. Then I got my guy to delete it before I really hurt myself. The tank pumps the def to the engine, why the hell is the tank 12 feet up a ladder??? This is on a New Holland but I think they are all the same stupid place.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
We have 3 machines with Def, one was deleted last fall after it Def coded, the other 2 we have had problems almost every year and plan to delete them this spring. For those that have deleted do you prefer to use a chip or flash the ecm? As for the original question we used 1000L totes, which we found easy to do. If these machines didn’t def code and cause hours or days of delay of harvest I wouldn’t consider a delete.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I would think most Tier 4 Final machines would require an ECM flash, as the DEF dosing is usually integrated with the ECM. For many Tier 4I engines, including FPT engines, a plugin-module is the easiest way to go.

We use 1000L totes also. We stick it next to the fuel tanks. I do need to build an enclosure to keep the sun off it, but so far we've had some left out during the winter and in the sun and haven't had any problems with it but from what I hear that's just asking for trouble.

Except for one minor issue which was caused by a hose that popped off the DEF tank and caused a code, we haven't had any problems with DEF systems thus far! But I think I'll call Ekotuning when I do.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well we have to climb the ladder with the fuel hose so it’s no big deal to go up with the def hose. First sign of greef though and that mofo is deleted.
I see trewdiesel liked your post. I used him last fall to do my combine. Called him (Trevor) in the afternoon and he was out first thing next morning. Very impressed with him. Not sure where you are located, but he operates Ekotune out of Melfort, SK.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
I see trewdiesel liked your post. I used him last fall to do my combine. Called him (Trevor) in the afternoon and he was out first thing next morning. Very impressed with him. Not sure where you are located, but he operates Ekotune out of Melfort, SK.
Yep he’s on speed dial! 😂

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I`ve searched all of my equipment and can`t find anywhere to put the DEF, do you just pour it down the exhaust pipe? What do you do when the pipe is horizontal, tip the machine on end? Maybe that is what the guy who put his combine in the sewage lagoon was trying to do?

One of my pieces of equipment was even built during this century, none of it predates the last century either, so it is all up to date, surprised they aren't labelled with instructions on where to add it, you know, like cast into the housing like gearshift patterns and everything else on equipment of this modern era.

I assume this must be to lubricate the muffler bearings? Perhaps I need to start adding it, since I every time I get a repair done the muffler bearing is shot and costs me a fortune to have replaced. Last time I had the tractor in to have the air in the tires changed over to winter air, the muffler bearing cost more than the synthetic air in all 8 tires. can't afford to do that twice a year for long. Apparently they had to order in a special left handed metric crescent wrench just to change it, adding to the cost.

·
Super Moderator
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Survey says...great market for the delete trade!

Glad more options suggested and it’s an easy format to change, thank you meskie.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts