The Combine Forum banner

How do you handle diesel exhaust fluid (def)?

• Bulk/pump/nozzle

• Jugs

• Deleted the need for

• Have never needed

Results are only viewable after voting.
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Can you delete all that crap from the iveco/ fiat engines? I mean getting the computer flashed, blocking the egr and either swapping exhaust system or taking a sledge and long chisel to factory exhaust. I know there is that chip that allows it to run without def but then you still have egr and all that restriction in the exhaust. Took the computer off the qsx on my versatile 450 and got it flashed, blocked egr, and beat out all that honeycomb looking stuff in the muffler. was about 4 years ago and no codes sinse. also burns way less fuel and instead of oil going black after a few hours it stays yellow til its time to change it anyway

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Can you delete all that crap from the iveco/ fiat engines? I mean getting the computer flashed, blocking the egr and either swapping exhaust system or taking a sledge and long chisel to factory exhaust. I know there is that chip that allows it to run without def but then you still have egr and all that restriction in the exhaust. Took the computer off the qsx on my versatile 450 and got it flashed, blocked egr, and beat out all that honeycomb looking stuff in the muffler. was about 4 years ago and no codes sinse. also burns way less fuel and instead of oil going black after a few hours it stays yellow til its time to change it anyway
Yes. But I don’t think any of the iveco have a egr. At least the higher HP ones. They also don’t have a DPF on them.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
None of my Iveco engines have any EGR at all. For the Tier 4I, after disabling the dosing unit, the plug-in module fakes a dosing unit and keeps the engine ECU happy.

I'm not sure if there's anything in the SCR catalytic chamber other than the the DEF injectors and the gas sensors, but I've heard people express concern that disabling DEF would permanently damage it due to hot exhaust temperatures, so maybe you should not expect to run a machine without DEF for years, then reactivate the system when selling it. Does anyone have any insight into that?

Our Tier 4I FPT engines just sip the DEF. I think I filled the sprayer DEF tank twice all season, fueled it up many times more than that. The combine has a Tier 4 final engine, and it does require more DEF than the other combine. Maybe 50% more? Hasn't really been an issue thus far.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I just recently switched to drum with manual (hand) pump from using the jugs. It is way better, I just wish I had gone straight to tote. I only filled the semi truck DEF tank and it took 1/3 of the drum, so I should have gone with the tote. Two other tractors and pickup with DEF. Only problems so far has been failed DEF heater on the Ford, which causes a perpetual engine light but no other operational problems so I didn’t bother with the $500 replacement, and NOX sensor on the semi (engine light again but no operational issues, replaced under warranty last week after living with it for almost a year).

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
None of my Iveco engines have any EGR at all. For the Tier 4I, after disabling the dosing unit, the plug-in module fakes a dosing unit and keeps the engine ECU happy.

I'm not sure if there's anything in the SCR catalytic chamber other than the the DEF injectors and the gas sensors, but I've heard people express concern that disabling DEF would permanently damage it due to hot exhaust temperatures, so maybe you should not expect to run a machine without DEF for years, then reactivate the system when selling it. Does anyone have any insight into that?
When the SCR system is removed or omitted from the machine, whether by module or ECU re-flash (not by Def-B-Gone module, mind you) you can remove the SCR canister and shrink wrap it, saving it for that most wonderful opportunity called trade-in time. That is when you can dicker and deal with the salesman, and either they can put it back on or you can. I may have witnessed a few machines handled this way, with conventional mufflers, resonators, or spark arrestors used instead of the SCR catalyst. However, a few intrepid souls decided they would rather smash the guts out and retain the stock appearance, to each their own. Afterwards, there is much joy in the village, with dancing and feasting to celebrate the return of productivity. At least, that's what I'm led to believe.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I see trewdiesel liked your post. I used him last fall to do my combine. Called him (Trevor) in the afternoon and he was out first thing next morning. Very impressed with him. Not sure where you are located, but he operates Ekotune out of Melfort, SK.
Do you have a number for Trevor?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts