The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for corn and beans? For corn: We have a 9660. There is corn in the cleaning fan area. Could be from going down steep hills. Corn is light and bottom sieve is on 7. Top sieve is on 23. Precleaner is half open. Fan is at 800 and tank sample is clean. Combining with 8 row head at 5.5 mile an hour on 180 bu corn. The tailings return is at little less than half. Deep tooth sieves. So with the tailings just at half and sample clean, wouldn't a person conclude that fan is fast enough not to let chaff in sample and sieve is open enough to only have tailings on half. How else do you tell if clean grain is overloaded and spilling into the cleaning fan area or the bottom sieve isn't open enough and that is spilling grain into fan area.
Then in beans we have to run bottom sieve almost shut to keep pods out in 14% beans with wind at 1000 and yet tailings only go to half or less. This is with deep tooth sieves. With tailings at half wouldn't you conclude that the bottom sieve is open far enough to let beans in and not dribble beans into fan housing?

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I dont have all your answers but I think the deep tooth fingers are letting to much debris fall on to the sieves when in beans. I had this same problem on 2388 and had to go to short finger chaffers and this fixed it right up.

If the precleaner you are talking about is the first section of your chaffers I would have those closed completely ! They will drop grain near the front of the seives and allow it to bounce or overflow into the cleaning fan.

How do you know if your blowin it out the back with the fan or just simply overloading it ??? Run a bit and shut down get out and have a look and see where the kernels are. If they are under chaff in the center of your machine then you may be blowin em over. Hope this helps you some.

·
Registered
588 Posts
This is an unavoidable issue on deere sts machines.
However...if you install the louver restrictors, PN H221769, the problem will disappear.

You will need 4 of them (I think)
They are about $25 each.

What is happening is the corn is falling back into the fan as it transitions from the auger bed...bit of a design SNAFU.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the part number, I will definitely order that. I always run the air low until I get a little trash coming in and then increase it a little. Thats how I set the fan and then check the back for shoe loss. How do you know if your going too fast for the clean grain auger and elevator? I guess the other issue is rotor loss. Green sts combines cannot handle a lot of corn trash or trash in general. On dry corn years we have to take as much trash in as we can to reduce the shelling with the chopper heads. I have been green all my life. I know case has parts you can add or take off on the rotor to help in the separation and threshing depending on conditions. Thats what deere needs. Round bar concaves don't help either. Too much closed area for grain to bounce back in the rotor. Fast or slow rotor speed doesn't matter and the spacers are a feable attempt on a much bigger problem. Grain cannot fall through the matte of material in the rotor especially corn husks and leaves. The walker was waaaay better in those conditions. All my opinion.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I might have to change all that, but the combine is due for a trade. We had some of the first disrupters and they came loose and spit them out. They attach differently now so i might have to try them again. He gave a full refund so nothing lost but time and i dont think any damage. These sts combines were built for corn and soybeans, so a guy shouldnt have to change stuff to keep them from losing it out the back. All the posts about rotor loss you would think jd would be listening, because most of us dont combine in ideal conditions. Theres room for lots of improvement in the rotor and separation part of the combine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Agreed with that last statement, maybe because it only took Deere a 1/4 century to five up on cylinders and finally adopt rotors. We made the move from red to green last year, my 9660sts is a nice machine but sometimes it feels like they are still trying to figure out what case has known for years. We had a problem with corn in the fan while doing high moisture this year I will have to give those restrictors a try

1 - 6 of 6 Posts