The Combine Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
You mean the Australian built Kelly engineering chain. I own one. They do pretty good job levelling ground but if it's rutted bad offset disc followed by kelly chain will do a good job. There's no debate about no till amongst grain growers in Australia if we didn't do it we would be out of business.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I am more than well aware of the benefits of no-till. Our little bit of dryland that we farm has been no-till for at least the past 15 years if not more. Some things just can't be no-tilled though (potatoes and sugar beets, for example).

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
You are talking perfectly smooth because of your stacking equipment? Consider different stacking equipment? Coming from an ignorant guy about your situation.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You are talking perfectly smooth because of your stacking equipment? Consider different stacking equipment? Coming from an ignorant guy about your situation.
Stacking as well as raking at 10 MPH and swathing at 15 MPH. Modern haying is a high speed operation. As for different stacking equipment, we have yet to find the perfect stacker and all of the self propelled wagons currently on the market are $150K + so we built our own.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
We have had good control so far with 10g/ha with the weedit , this is ally I should add, I would think that the ester is burning if off before the ally can do a good job , just my opinion and not saying it is right

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm interested, what rates, timing, weed size, chemical mix, etc are you talking?
So I had a bad paddock of onion weed so it got a knockdown of glyphosate, striker, Kamba then post sowing pre em of dual gold, diuron and 20g/ha of glean and there is not a weed in it of any kind...its just in oats so can graze/silage/hay or take thru to grain depending on what the season and grain prices do.

Post sowing pre em was early May. Have had a bit of herbicide damage on crop but it's recovered all right. I have heard going later will do a better job, around 8-10 weeks post sowing but i was already going across it with dual gold and diuron so just chucked it in and normally we can't get booms across paddocks in late June/July.

·
Registered
510 Posts
So I had a bad paddock of onion weed so it got a knockdown of glyphosate, striker, Kamba then post sowing pre em of dual gold, diuron and 20g/ha of glean and there is not a weed in it of any kind...its just in oats so can graze/silage/hay or take thru to grain depending on what the season and grain prices do.

Post sowing pre em was early May. Have had a bit of herbicide damage on crop but it's recovered all right. I have heard going later will do a better job, around 8-10 weeks post sowing but i was already going across it with dual gold and diuron so just chucked it in and normally we can't get booms across paddocks in late June/July.
What do you use at spraytopping time, and after rain during summer?

Or are you continuous cropping?

·
Registered
318 Posts
What do you use at spraytopping time, and after rain during summer?

Or are you continuous cropping?
I've never heard any recco for controlling onion weed using spray topping. I've always been told from May thru to July down here.

So we are pasture & livestock system and look to control hard to get weeds during cropping phase which is done for pasture renovation. Our rotation is pasture/summer forage crop/oats/annual ryegrass & balansa clover/perrenial pasture (ryegrass/philaris/fescue).

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
Glean is not used much around here any more. Got abused and had resistant kochia in only a few years is what I have been told. That or it was used to often and the wheat crop didn't come up. Been tempted to try it but worried about residual for pulse and mustard or canola crops.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I've never heard any recco for controlling onion weed using spray topping. I've always been told from May thru to July down here.

So we are pasture & livestock system and look to control hard to get weeds during cropping phase which is done for pasture renovation. Our rotation is pasture/summer forage crop/oats/annual ryegrass & balansa clover/perrenial pasture (ryegrass/philaris/fescue).
Okay, bit of a different situation then.

Our method for onion weed is, at spraytopping time hit it with Glyphosate/Ester/Ally mix or Glyphosate/Amicide Advance 700/Ally mix. This shuts the flowers, browns it off, and stops it setting seed, but can't be relied on to kill it properly. Then after the first decent summer rain, get stuck into it with the cultivator because if you didn't, it would normally come back to life. Then if you get another rain after a few weeks cultivate it again. By seeding time you have killed all the big plants and you just have any tiny new seedlings which are killed by the Glyphosate and the sweeps on the airseeder while sowing.

No till just doesn't work in all cases despite what some would have you believe.

If you go to the trouble of getting the paddock clean of onion weed by seeding time, then for the rest of the year it is generally not a problem as it doesn't really compete with the wheat. Continuous croppers don't seem to consider it a big problem. It gets going in the years that the paddock is left out of the cropping rotation.

If anyone has a guaranteed method to kill it with chemical I would be keen to hear it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
We have had good control so far with 10g/ha with the weedit , this is ally I should add, I would think that the ester is burning if off before the ally can do a good job , just my opinion and not saying it is right
Unfortunately I don't have a weedit. But, even if I did, on the bad onion weed paddocks I wouldn't think it would be much of a saving, it would spend nearly all of it's time turned on.

Normally there are other things to kill that need the Ester, so it really has to go in the mix. If the Ester is burning it off before the Ally can take hold, then maybe separate applications might help. Two passes is a bit of a hassle though.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts