The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got them to throw in a Never Spill Spout with the purchase price of my 1684 auger so now I am thinking about how to make best use of it. My idea is to somehow fasten cables with balls hanging down at different distances from the spout. Most of our small 19 foot diameter bins are about the same height so the auger will be at roughly the same angle. When the ball at 9.5 feet from the spout touches the bin eve I will know this is the perfect height to set the auger at for this bin. After the alarm goes off and the auger empties the grain should be within 2 inches of full and I can go to the next bin. The 21 foot diameter bins will use a ball that is 10.5 feet from the spout and the 36 foot diameter bins will have a ball hanging down at 18 feet. We only grow wheat and canola so I might need to use a black ball for canola and yellow for wheat. Anybody got any suggestions?

·
Registered
803 Posts
I got them to throw in a Never Spill Spout with the purchase price of my 1684 auger so now I am thinking about how to make best use of it. My idea is to somehow fasten cables with balls hanging down at different distances from the spout. Most of our small 19 foot diameter bins are about the same height so the auger will be at roughly the same angle. When the ball at 9.5 feet from the spout touches the bin eve I will know this is the perfect height to set the auger at for this bin. After the alarm goes off and the auger empties the grain should be within 2 inches of full and I can go to the next bin. The 21 foot diameter bins will use a ball that is 10.5 feet from the spout and the 36 foot diameter bins will have a ball hanging down at 18 feet. We only grow wheat and canola so I might need to use a black ball for canola and yellow for wheat. Anybody got any suggestions?
I am confused, maybe it is because I don't have a never spill. You might need a different ball for each % of moisture change also:confused: Maybe a couple wraps with reflector tape at a couple different heights on your spout, and some trial and error.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe the best way to use it is to lower the spout down too far into the bin and fill until the alarm sounds. Then climb up the bin and measure how far down the grain level is on the sidewall. If it is 16 inches down raise the spout 14 inches and fill until the alarm goes off again? I suppose if you had some reflective stripes marked on the spout every 3 inches it could work. You'd have to climb up the bin ladder once per bin to get it full this way.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It
OMFG you put way too much thought into all this, put spout in bin, close trap on truck when you hear alarm, raise auger, drive away.
We fill about 60 bins per season. Depending on the diameter, 6 inches can make the difference of about 400 bushels. By filling the bins full we can gain thousands of bushels of storage over doing a half assed job.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Once the perfect height above the bin eve for each bin diameter is determined any sag in the auger would be accounted for. So say I fill a bin till the alarm goes off; I climb up the ladder and see I can put another 8" of grain in the bin. So I lift the spout 8" and fasten a cable with some sort of weight hanging from it to mark the perfect height for any bin that diameter. This weight would hang down and touch the bin roof right at the eavve. At least it would be a reference point that I could make slight adjustments to based on things like moisture content.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes and that varies between augers.
I set it so can just see the top of the slots above the cap when under full load.

This method would work fine if all your bins have similar roof pitches. We have Weststeels, Butler, Twister, Brock, Sukup, Big Chief so a huge variation in roof pitches. Gauging the auger spout height to the peak of a Sukup bin the same as a the Brock bin would cause us to either over fill the Sukup bin or under fill the Brock bin by 400 bushels.

·
Registered
380 Posts
As was mentioned, if you set the slots just covered when the auger is under load, it will fill any bin regardless of roof pitch. Honestly you can't set it any higher or grain would spill and if you set it any lower you wouldn't completely fill the bin. If you simply do that you will be very close to right full on every bin, you won't be 400 bu short. However, what we did with ours because we have them on electric conveyors, is we put a second sensor above the slots that shuts off the conveyor. This stops us from plugging and causing damage while allowing perfect fills with no climbing bins. You could put a second sensor wired to a light near the top of the slot. The first alarm tells you to slow down empty the auger and be ready to shut off, then let it slowly fill until the second alarm goes, then shut it off. This would fill the bin perfectly, but leave some grain in your auger for moving.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
As was mentioned, if you set the slots just covered when the auger is under load, it will fill any bin regardless of roof pitch. Honestly you can't set it any higher or grain would spill and if you set it any lower you wouldn't completely fill the bin. If you simply do that you will be very close to right full on every bin, you won't be 400 bu short. However, what we did with ours because we have them on electric conveyors, is we put a second sensor above the slots that shuts off the conveyor. This stops us from plugging and causing damage while allowing perfect fills with no climbing bins. You could put a second sensor wired to a light near the top of the slot. The first alarm tells you to slow down empty the auger and be ready to shut off, then let it slowly fill until the second alarm goes, then shut it off. This would fill the bin perfectly, but leave some grain in your auger for moving.
I am having a hard time getting my point across. Say you have two 36' diameter bins. One is a Sukup with the roof peak rising 10' 11" above the side wall. The other is a Brock bin whose roof peak rises to 10'5" above the sidewall. Say you fill these two bins with wheat and when the wheat is piled to within an inch of the top of the sidewall you stop. Now measure from the top of the wheat pile to the peak of the bin.....the distance to the peak of the Sukup bin is 6 inches greater. Had you gauged how full you made each bin off the roof peak you would have over filled one bin or under filled the other. 6 inches on a 36 foot diameter bin is 400 bushels. The hanging cable allows you to guage your spout height off the sidewall height.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Buy remote chute openers and sit on top of the bin then and you will get it perfect every time. You were worried before how to save time at harvest while hauling grain. Now the truck driver needs to remember the exact heights of 60 plus bins and where to set cables hanging from the auger????

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Your are making this waaaaay harder than it has to be.
Wait till you get your auger home and fill a couple bins, it won`t take long to figure out what to do with the spout.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Buy remote chute openers and sit on top of the bin then and you will get it perfect every time. You were worried before how to save time at harvest while hauling grain. Now the truck driver needs to remember the exact heights of 60 plus bins and where to set cables hanging from the auger????
We have remote slide openers on the trucks and so can fill the bins as you say. If we do that the Never Spill spout is useless. The cable idea is so that once you've set your cable length for a 19 foot diameter bin it is right for any 19 foot diameter bin. Our bins are 19; 21 and 36 foot diameter. There is no having to remember heights of bins. When backing up to a 19 foot diameter bin the apropriate cable would be right at the bin roof eve. Could hang black balls for canola and white for wheat due to the different angle of repose of the two commodities.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
I think we all understand what you are saying but it does seem overly complicated. The spout will fill your bins according to relation of grain to the opening(& spout) but you want the bin to be full according to the eaves or sidewall? I imagine your idea would work, but are you the one filling bins or is it the hired help? I know for myself I could handle some elaborate system but I would never try to explain that to my dad or hired help.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I never thought filling a bin could be so complicated!!! I'm glad I'm the one haulin grain on our farm because I don't know if anyone else could figure out how to do it!!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.