The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
The 9250 will hug the ground better because it has a more flexible cutterbar. And generally they tend to feed easier and reverse easier than the FD75. Not to say that the FD75 is a bad head though, it has its strong points, like the guide wheels which help keep the head out of the ground in situations like driving over holes, etc.

·
Registered
345 Posts
McDon makes a very good header. I bought one with my A-75 Gleaner back in 2008. There is one problem with having a header made by a different company. If you ever have feeding problems or a problem getting things programed together AGCO will say it's McDon's fault and McDon will say it is a problem with the combine. When I bought my S-77 in 2011 I traded for a complete Gleaner package with the 40" 9250 Dynaflex. Both headers have their good points but I am glad I went with the Gleaner header. I do like the guide wheels on the McDon but the mechanical drive system on the Dynaflex is better than all the hydraulics on the McDon.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I've ran both and in my conditions with lot's of uneven ground the dynaflex works best. It shaves the ground really well if tilted forward all the way, but you have to watch out for deep water-furs and hitting them head on it will catch and bend the tilt arms. Not a big deal, ten minutes later back running. The only time I liked the macdon better was when the ahhc quit working on the dyna flex, on uneven ground it was a pain. Go with the dyna flex.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've ran both and in my conditions with lot's of uneven ground the dynaflex works best. It shaves the ground really well if tilted forward all the way, but you have to watch out for deep water-furs and hitting them head on it will catch and bend the tilt arms. Not a big deal, ten minutes later back running. The only time I liked the macdon better was when the ahhc quit working on the dyna flex, on uneven ground it was a pain. Go with the dyna flex.
I sure would like to see AGCO beef up the "tilt" arms. They just aren't near strong enough for the abuse they take running through all the ruts and ditches we were fighting this year.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The problem with the dyna flex is that they are built way too light. My dealer sold me a dyna flex that the rectangle iron on the bottom rear is bent back on both sides guessing about 3 inches which in turn has the cutterbar bent back 3 inches on each side. Dealer knew this head was bent but did not let us knew about it. Dealer must have had this head in their shop for a week a year ago replacing parts. This is my local dealer that I buy all parts and most equipment from. They told me nothing was ever done to this head other than the minor fixes.
If you have lots of uneven ground I would go with the dyna flex but if your are mostly flat then I would go macdon

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was having feeding issues with FD75 on my S77 at the end of wheat harvest so we borrowed neighbors 9250. In 80 bu. wheat we went .5mph faster with 5 foot wider head. Spent the rest of the day figuring out what the grinding noise was around the chopper area, I think we've covered that issue. Fast forward to bean harvest and a visit from MacDon rep. with the correct shielding, and I think it feeds like the 9250 now. Did not have combine set up for flexing the 9250 but could have used it on down wheat, with the FD I can use the reel to pick up wheat but the 9250 would not do it.

Pros on the Dynoflex - Great feeding right out of the box.
Pros of the MacDon - Better reel control and function,
Never worry about guard wobble as header gets some wear on it,
Best cutting sickle on the market,
Crop dividers that work.

We cut as many bean acres as wheat with a lot of terraces, no complaints on flexing or close cutting.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Just be absolutely sure to get F series MacDon is converted proper for the combine. Other wise you will overfeed one side or the other of feeder in some conditions. Other after market brands will do the same thing if not completely adapted proper. Header will make feeder and everything behind it seem like piece of junk. Just this year I found the Dynaflexes overfeed one side of chain in flatened high yeilding wheat. I found I had to cut plate at left and right side of feed auger to allow any crop at rear of draper to scoot further toward center of feeder. I also added the poly to auger to cover the knotches in the flighting. The divider in center of center draper should be in for small grains and removed for beans

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.