The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using a custom operator to seed but am going to try using my own 6200 IHC seed drills this year. My question is how do I get enough N on my wheat and canola?
The only solution I can think of is have the fertilizer company spread it and work it in once with a cultivator before I seed. I thought of getting a small air tank to hook up behind my cultivator just to band fertilizer but that is both time consuming and a bit of a hastle.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Hello Old Farmer
Yes but you're putting it were you want it to be, in the ground & not going up into the air (urea). There's been a lot of studies proving the benefits of banding vs. broadcasting.

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
Depends on how worked your ground is and if you have a lot of trash at the top. Broadcasting and then working it in isn't going to give you very good results if you can't cover it well, and you'll lose a lot of your N. I have broadcasted many times ahead of my Morris Seedrites successfully up to 100# of N, but then I did regular tillage at that time. If you can time it just right, do it just before a heavy rain;)

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
I use a broadcast spreader on top and work it in because thats all i got, if you can get a cheap air tank, hook it to your summerfallow cultivator or and drop it in while you are doing your spring time weed kill. I kick myself for not bidding on a flexi coil air seeder last year at an farm auction, that went for $500, cultivator tank and all, it even had the diesel engine on the back to run the blower, it was just too big for my tractor.
Or use ammonia hydrous, they let you use there cultivator to put it in. That would be your cheapest and easiest solution.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Guys have suggested sprayers, broadcaster, and dealer's anhydrous tool, and you haven't replied with anything that can help us help you narrow it down. What do you have for equipment? A sprayer? Size of tractor to pull the anhydrous tool? Do you till or not?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
To get a lot of liquid N down requires handling large volumes of liquid either at seeding or spraying. Not something we like to do. We got around it by using a timed release granular product called ESN. We have gotten rates of N in the 70lb range but the product starts to get costly.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Put it through your drill.
Put 200 lbs per acre fertilizer through a seed drill?:(:(
I'm going to guess that Old Farmer is referring to a box drill and that 510Massey is referring to an air drill/air seeder???

(On Edit: I just looked back through the posts and I see that OF mentioned 6200 box drills in the first post.)

Andrew

·
Registered
188 Posts
sometimes the best decision is the simplest. just get the product floated on immediately ahead of your seeding. hope for the best that you get some good incorporation of the fert. not banded, but your seed pass will at least cover it.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
sometimes the best decision is the simplest. just get the product floated on immediately ahead of your seeding. hope for the best that you get some good incorporation of the fert. not banded, but your seed pass will at least cover it.
This can work pretty well, and is safe when the soil temps are still cooler. There used to be a lot of dry fertilizer spread ahead of seeding around here before one pass became customary. Product would often lay on the surface for 12 hours before getting covered.

·
Registered
982 Posts
It still works

This can work pretty well, and is safe when the soil temps are still cooler. There used to be a lot of dry fertilizer spread ahead of seeding around here before one pass became customary. Product would often lay on the surface for 12 hours before getting covered.
It still works around here, it's a very common way to fertilize and it's been working great. We've had some wet years, maybe if it got dry it wouldn't work as well but lately it's worked so well that some big farmers with double shoot drills are starting to do it to cut down on filling the drills.

·
Premium Member
6,089 Posts
If you are going to brodcast the urea you are better to bit the bullet and get it custom seeded if you have a person that can do a good job and has a good outfit. Fertilizer is not cheap and a good drill can gain you 5 bushel per acre if you can not do a good job yourself.

·
Registered
456 Posts
options

If you cannot time applications with rainfall, etc and worried about N loss from broadcasting just have Agrotain put on it - will add about $7/acre onto your cost. If I were in this situation would look be looking for some 34-0-0 - if you cannot find it PM me and will make some suggestions. I Would actually look to put this on after emergence and would suggest that 60-65lbs/actual would give you as much juice as 80lbs actual of 46.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have been using a custom operator to seed but am going to try using my own 6200 IHC seed drills this year. My question is how do I get enough N on my wheat and canola?
The only solution I can think of is have the fertilizer company spread it and work it in once with a cultivator before I seed. I thought of getting a small air tank to hook up behind my cultivator just to band fertilizer but that is both time consuming and a bit of a hastle.
Being that you are using box drills, I am going to go on the assumption that you are going to cultivate your land prior to seeding anyway.......if that is the case, there is nothing wrong with broadcasting urea ahead of the cultivator and working it in. Imo.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.