The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. Thinking of getting a TBT cart and was wondering how effective cameras are for viewing the center section to see if there are any plugging issues? Are you using 1 camera or 2? Cart will be either a L7550 or L7800 Bourgault; toolbar will be 66ft XTC Paralink. The dual tires on these carts (800's or 850's) really reduce visibility past the tank itself. We often seed around the clock and have had many issues with previous drill plugging at night due to high humidity and pea/tall cereal stubble in the past with our previous drill. It was a TBH tank so it was easy to see the plugging.

I spoke with one guy who has a L7800 tank and he said one of the bigger issues was with the drill operator having difficulty following the outside perimeter on headland curves as they couldn't see the end of the drill with the cart/tires in the way. Is this a common problem? We have lots of fields that are not square.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey. Thinking of getting a TBT cart and was wondering how effective cameras are for viewing the center section to see if there are any plugging issues? Are you using 1 camera or 2? Cart will be either a L7550 or L7800 Bourgault; toolbar will be 66ft XTC Paralink. The dual tires on these carts (800's or 850's) really reduce visibility past the tank itself. We often seed around the clock and have had many issues with previous drill plugging at night due to high humidity and pea/tall cereal stubble in the past with our previous drill. It was a TBH tank so it was easy to see the plugging.

I spoke with one guy who has a L7800 tank and he said one of the bigger issues was with the drill operator having difficulty following the outside perimeter on headland curves as they couldn't see the end of the drill with the cart/tires in the way. Is this a common problem? We have lots of fields that are not square.
Don't expect to be able to see your drill plugging. I tried it for a bit this spring and you couldn't make out much on the drill let alone plugging. Ended up just putting that camera into another one of the tanks. Only benefit is you prob would be able to see vehicles behind you on the road

·
Registered
135 Posts
I ran a TBT seeding outfit for a guy for a couple seasons, his camera wasn't much better than no camera. Daylight was a bit better, and if I made a point to cleaning the dust off the lens regularly it helped but it was never good. A good camera and screen, mounted in the right spot (trial and error) it may work for you, but you'll have to choose well.

All of that said, if I were looking at airseeders it would be TBT.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The only way I know I'm plugged while looking at the camera is seeing the 1/2 mile streak of black dirt on the screen. That's in the daylight.
As far as following the headlands, just a matter of getting used to it. Have to dive into the corners a little more, camera helps for that.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Sky Cloud Floor Wood Room

Screen placement is everything if you want to be able to see throughout the day. This is a Cab Cam system i put in the combine. While it is great for seeing behind you while backing up, and to make sure the chopper is working properly or spreading properly, it would be difficult to see how good of a job your seeding unit is doing. You would probably notice straw and debris plugging up between shanks once the pile got big enough. Dust is an issue with the camera. Not so much during the day, but as soon as the camera switches to night more, infra red, every fleck of dust and cobweb instantly becomes visible.

Plaster Ceiling Room Sky Cloud

The Hopper camera is actually worse for dust and would be more what I would expect for the back of an air cart. Granted a person would be up there every once and a while to fill and can clean the camera if it is mounted in an easy to reach location.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
On the serious side maybe a high definition GoPro camera would have some merrit. I can't recommend a tablet that has a brilliant light level output for daytime viewing but there must be one. I cant imagine that the dust level is too bad on the top of that tank. If it doesn't work out you would have a fabulous toy to make spectacular videos.

The cab cam likely would only tell you that a car ran into you and it's stuck in the back shanks.

Here is a nice example of the quality.

One year we mounted a high output light bar on the drill, but that was just to eliminate glare and shadows when maintaing the drill because it had to run all night sometimes.

http://gopro.com/support/articles/hdmi-feed-to-external-monitor-settings

·
Registered
618 Posts
Our units are both TBT aircarts, and have played with the cameras quite a bit. I found the best spot for viewing for plugging was the with a magnet mount underneath the frame or on the hitch, depending on the unit. I couldn't get one to do both a rear view for on the road and for watching for plugging.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You're not really going to get any better picture with a gopro at night though because of low light conditions as well as dust. Lens will still dust up, and you will need good lights. I have retrofitted my GoPro with an IR lens, and then used IR LED spot lights, but still have the issue of dust, at night it is magnified because of the extra light, and the other problem is how do you stop dust from getting into the GoPro case around the HDMI cord? It has been a dream of mine to use the GoPro like that, but hard to keep the case sealed with cables running in and out of it.

Don't get me wrong I am a big fan of GoPro, own several myself and have tried this too, but Wifi streaming is delayed, and HDMI over that distance I would be concerned about.

If you want cameras to watch for plugging I suggest putting them on the frame looking backwards, then you can tell when it starts dragging. Might need two or 3 to get a better view of the frame and focus closer to the ground, but expect to be wiping the camera off every fill or more.

I have them on everything, each air drill, every combine, swing augers, super bees, sprayers (for seeing behind when transporting down the road) I can tell from the camera on the back of my 6700 that my disc is dragging if I pay attention to the camera.

I also sell those camera systems, I will beat most dealers prices on a 4 camera package. I dont own any tow between carts so I have never used them in this application before, but from my experience with a tow behind cart, and a 76ft drill, between the camera and looking back I can tell when I start dragging discs or plugging.

I plug mine into the Trimble 750 monitors, which is a much larger screen, and you can definitely see more detail than with the standard 7" monitor, however you can only plug 2 cameras into the screen as opposed to 4.

I would be curious to hear what guys with tow between carts are doing with cameras, and if someone has got results they are happy with for this kind of application. Just a tough thing to do when the drill kicks up dust constantly.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
agcam cameras work pretty good day or night we have one in our tank and its super clear and one on the back for the cart for roading works good also biggest issue is pinched cables the cables take very little to get damaged

·
Registered
558 Posts
agcam cameras work pretty good day or night we have one in our tank and its super clear and one on the back for the cart for roading works good also biggest issue is pinched cables the cables take very little to get damaged
I completely agree with the AgCam cables being sub par. We use them on our grain cart auger and where the auger folds they keep failing. That is without any visible damage to the cable. Very disappointing from a premium product.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.