The Combine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking at an opportunity 2 hours by car from home which would be all seeded with some type of air drill (leaning towards Borgault 5710). At home we only seed 1/3 of the farm with a drill the rest is row crop, but the new farm will be 100% drilled. Right now the debate is if we buy a better drill and road it or have separate drills.

Oh and should I buy an Atom Jet kit for a Versatile 936 or can I get by without it?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would probably get two separate drills because roading, especially with a big tractor and air drill, that far would be just awful and impractical IMO. I thought it was bad roading our 4640 70 miles or so when we bought it. It took 8 full hours at practically full speed and this was with the duals removed and not towing anything behind. Roading that far with a big tractor and air drill would take forever and a day.

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
I know of one guy that roads his combine 80 miles between farms. Fairly sure he has separate seeders, may use the same tractor. That is a long haul. 120 miles? Maybe 40-50 miles. I would not do it for 120 miles. I would consider buying a plane just to check crops. I grew up were my dad can drive past all his fields in 1/2hr. It takes me 4-5 hours to get a good look at my crops. I wouldn't get anything done if I was spread out that far.

·
Registered
456 Posts
so far, so good or bad?

Guess it is a different country and am sure there some regulation/traffic differences, but think there plenty of people North of the border that have been roading that far with multiple units for quite a few years and do not know of any offhand that have different seeding outfits in both places.

·
Super Moderator
5,037 Posts
We are looking at an opportunity 2 hours by car from home which would be all seeded with some type of air drill (leaning towards Borgault 5710). At home we only seed 1/3 of the farm with a drill the rest is row crop, but the new farm will be 100% drilled. Right now the debate is if we buy a better drill and road it or have separate drills.

Oh and should I buy an Atom Jet kit for a Versatile 936 or can I get by without it?
My short answer to your title is as little as possible.

I'm confused, are you thinking of a complete seeding unit at the remote site or just a drill?

2 hours by car is at likely at least 8 by tractor, hmm.:(

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
You don't say how many acres you have at home vs the new piece, but if only 1/3 is drilled at home now, you might be better off trading that drill up to a bigger one and do it all with the one drill.

Do you have to drive the tractor/drill back and forth? Or is transport an option?

Are the two areas far enough apart that they differ in seeding times? ie Can you finished the drill work at one location and "normally" have a couple days of moving equipment before the other location is even ready to go?

Andrew

·
Premium Member
6,060 Posts
Mvp farms I hope your are not roading a 936. The older Versatile tractors were very slow on the road. 14 mph is about the max wide open. If you have a semi it may be worth buying a equiptment trailer to haul the 4 wheel drive. You could pull the drill with a pintle hitch on a heavy truck.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Have farms 130 miles from the home base road machines all the time tractor and drills combines 6 hours is the normal time it takes, still haul the sprayer because we need the truck for tendering the sprayer.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I farmed 125 miles from home for 8 yrs and hauled everything up there by truck and hired someone to tow my air drill by truck sounds to me like u are about the same distance, I will tell u I hope it is good land because it will wear u out doing this. Not only the work but the anxiety of wondering what the crop is doing and not being able to check it as often. At home I check fields everyday all season long but when I had my satellite land it was once a week and I never knew what surprise I would have. It got to the point I would
Hire someone to watch it but it's not the same I finally had enough and when I had the opportunity to get more land at home I sold it. That being said if it's a chance to expand that u don't have at home and u r ready for the challenge go for it. Nothing ventured nothing gained. I don't regret it one bit but I am glad it's over.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
I have to go as far as 10 miles from my northern most land to my southern most. I honestly don't know how guys farm land real far away.
I'm with you on that. All my land is within a 6 mile by 8 mile block and we sometimes think the farthest land is in no mans land! We may be tightening that up to a 4 mile by 7 mile block in the future.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm glad to see a few guys like me 4 miles max people tell me all the time that I'm lucky that my land is close to home .I tell them that I have offers of land farther away but I just don't take it ,good friends of mine drive machines over 125 miles every year by the time they are done they are so tired they can't stand up.how much do we need ,unless someone knows how to take it with you.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I go 20 miles north for 90 acres, sometimes twice for planting. Second time to plant 150 acres for the father inlaw. Thought long and hard about going 40 miles south of here for an 80. decided to let that one go. I cant handle not knowing whats happening in my fields. I grew up with every field within spiting distance. BTO around here travels about the same distance as what you are considering. But they are going for a full section.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mvp farms I hope your are not roading a 936. The older Versatile tractors were very slow on the road. 14 mph is about the max wide open. If you have a semi it may be worth buying a equiptment trailer to haul the 4 wheel drive. You could pull the drill with a pintle hitch on a heavy truck.
Mine goes like 19 according to the greenstar!:D I'm more concerned about the drill as yes we would be buying an equipment trailer because I will not road anything with $2k a piece tires.

As for watching the crop I would be raising at least one specialty crop with a company agronomist, and along with doing business with a local co-op should be able to keep close enough tabs on things.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Similar acres at both places. My plan was to buy a drill and pull type sprayer for the new farm this year. Then if things go well look for a 4wd with PTO for next year so my FWAs can stay home except for spraying.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
That's a long ways away when something goes wrong. Are you going to stay there overnight when you're working there? If not you're pi$$ing away 4 hours a day driving back and forth. We have some land about 20-25 miles away from home, most of the time it's just a headache but it has been in the family for a few generations now, good for hunting and camping and we have a cabin on it so think we will keep it!!! It never fails, when we get everything moved there, it rains there and not at home !!! Been a few times equipment has made the trip and never did any work before coming home again!!! lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.