The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I consider the claimed capacity of the Lexion 760's I am wondering how difficult it might be to obtain that capacity in years when the crop doesn't quite measure up. What is the max speed you travel with these combines picking up as well as straight cutting? Can you pick up a 30 foot canola swath at 7.5 mph? How about cutting a 50 bu/ac wheat crop with a 35 foot header at 7.5 mph?

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
I think you wouldn't be able to pick up a windrow unless you have a super duper pickup but it would just be ruffness of the paddick that would slow you straight cutting , ( i have been up to 18 kms/hr in very poor wheat )

·
Registered
996 Posts
Did 7.0 to 7.5 picking up canola. This was with a 25' swath, 44 bushel canola. Would like to go to a 35' swath, its on my Christmas wish list.
7.3 straightcutting 45 bushel wheat with a Macdon 45' flexdraper.

If you have not priced tracks, take a hard look at them. Combine is very smooth and stable with tracks, especially at higher ground speeds. I would not go back to a wheeled machine now that I have used tracks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Did 7.0 to 7.5 picking up canola. This was with a 25' swath, 44 bushel canola. Would like to go to a 35' swath, its on my Christmas wish list.

If you have not priced tracks, take a hard look at them. Combine is very smooth and stable with tracks, especially at higher ground speeds. I would not go back to a wheeled machine now that I have used tracks.
Wow! I think my 9750 just peed down it's leg.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts

What were your losses in canola at that speed

·
Premium Member
6,068 Posts
With a 760 you should have a 35-36 foot swather. Some years you will be doing 3-3.5 mph because the canola is breaking up to powder and over loading the shoe. This is the first year out of 4 in canola that we were limited by power with our 590r. Most years we only used 50-60% power because losses were the limiting factor.

·
Registered
996 Posts
What were your losses in canola at that speed
Did not do a pan test to measure combine losses.
I did drop straw and check for losses. There were very few if any seeds leaving the machine. The loss monitors are also very accurate and sensitive on the Lexion. Cemo's automatic also in play here. The Lexion can eat a lot of canola and keep it in the machine.

I did notice there were a few losses coming off the pickup header at that speed. You could see the seeds flying. Would prefer a lower ground speed for picking up canola, but the short weather window we had this year I could not slow down. 35' swath is needed for this combine, in my opinion.

On a side note we recieved 4" of rain after doing canola. All of the canola seed on the ground germinated. The losses that were from the pickup header you could see, not a huge amount of canola germinated but you could see exactly where the pickup header was. There was almost zero canola to be found germinated outside of the pickup header across the 25' swath. I can confidently say the losses on a 780 Lexion are very minimal.

2013 canola ground also had 4" rain come after harvest. 2013 was harvested by a single rotor green machine. The canola that was thrown over sure germinated well. The ground looked like one of those green indoor/outdoor fake grass carpets. There was no open ground to be seen, canola growing on top of canola. When I saw this I thought to myself "wonder how much this cost me in lost revenue"?
Full disclosure, I did push the green machine in 2013 harder than I should have that year also due to bad weather coming.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Had a lot of drowned out peas this year that were cut at 8.3-8.4 mph. 740tt 36' honeybee. Max speed in first gear. Tracks kept machine very smooth.
Wow! Do you realize that you are combining faster than I run the heavy harrow!! I think I need some flatter land! At those speeds I would need an extra header or two on standby.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Barely worth doing by your standards!
Haha, we had a bad winter and already re-seeded 60% of the wheat in the spring. This was one of the fields which kept standing...So there wasnt much to gain.

In 2014 wheat yeilded 140bu/ac in average but the price sucks...

How far can you go with Macdon / HoneyBee strait cutting headers? How fast is the knife?

·
Super Moderator
5,054 Posts
Haha, we had a bad winter and already re-seeded 60% of the wheat in the spring.

In 2014 wheat yeilded 140bu/ac in average but the price sucks...

How far can you go with Macdon / HoneyBee strait cutting headers? How fast is the knife?
It would be similar to a Vario in similar condtions. About 1300 spm.

Define a sucking price please? I see 1.0 Euro = 1.42 CAD.

Why the reseed?

·
Premium Member
6,068 Posts
If you want to go fast and have a macdon flexdraper make sure it has a double knife. The double knife has more cutting power and runs faster than a single knife which will allow you to cut faster. We have cut lentils at 8-9 mph with a 40 foot head when the cutting was good. Some of our straight cut thin drowned out canola we were cutting at 7-8.5 mph this year. The pickup headers on a lexion are average for performance. After 5.5 mph I would be worried about shelling.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.