The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually run it between half and three quarters, but maybe thats too much. The contents are usually half grain and half foreign material because I like to run my chaffer a little more open. Also I usually run the tighter than recommended sieve to make the grain more clean. I let the tailings determine how tight my sieve should be. Too high of tailings, open the sieve a little more. 180 bu corn the sieve is on 5 for the light weight and small corn we have this year. Have the deep tooth chaff and sieve.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: How full do you run your tailings in corn and

Anybody? I opened the tailings door today and at 1/2 full theres not much in there so I was supprised. More chaff and cobs than anything.

·
Registered
39 Posts

i have a 9860, if it runs more than three bars i think it is high. I run the chaffer on about 13-14 and the sieve 5-7 depending on the corn.

·
Registered
24 Posts

I agree with farmerboy. I run a 9760 and I try to run the lowest amount of tailings possible. John Deere says that you should have no more than 30% grain in ur tailings. I have found that the more tailings the more rotor loss in high yeilding corn. Has anyone else had a heck of a time keeping corn in the back of their rotor combines. We can only keep loses to a minimum of about a 0.5 bu./acre.!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts

yes! I run a 9560sts and it has the same problem,either to many leaves or to soft of cob that breaks before shelled, or both

·
Registered
486 Posts

Couldnt agree more...

I used to keep a little plastic bowl in the cab that was big enough to catch everything that falls out of the tailings door, when you open it. I would look at the contents of that, and if i had anymore that 7-8 corn kernels in there including the cracked ones i would open the bottom sieve till i only had 3 or 4 in there. I could usually get most of the cob-bits out of the sample by adjusting the concaves and rotorspeed. I would keep the chaffer on 20 or 22, bottom sieve on 10-12 and let her rip on the fan to the point were she would start spitting them out the back. The sample would look very nice and only contain a very small amount of cob... They usually liked the samples in the recieving end.

The moisture in corn in Australia can usually not be anymore than 14% and in the settings i proposed above the corn would usually be in the 11 - 13% moisture range... Oh and the yield would be somewhere between 10 and 14 ton/hectare.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts