The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there was another wind thread, but I'm wondering how fast of wind speed, both constant and gusts, have you ever loaded up the sprayer and intentionally sprayed? What nozzle type did you use, and was it contact or systemic?

If you have caused drift problems, how far did it go?

Corn here is growing fast and another rain is coming. It is borderline as far as Status being off label, and Status is contact so it wants lots of coverage.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Depends on the nozzles I'm using. I've gone out in 30km/h winds spraying Liberty though 08 TurboTees at low pressure. The extra course droplets they produce hardly moved. But I wouldn't even think of going out in those winds to spray low volumes though smaller nozzles.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Also depends on product being sprayed as well. And neighbouring crops too!

Glyphosate or a grass herbicide with drift going into ditches, sloughs, etc isn't good.

A broadleaf drifting into willows/scrub around my sloughs I don't mind so much.

Fungicides drifting a bit, generally not a problem.

Spraying Liberty when there isn't even a fenceline between my LL canola and my neighbours' RR canola....not a good idea.

Andrew

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I sprayed one time with wind in the good 50k +, with 5 gallon T jets fan type on our Flexicoil with wind screens. There was a hay meadow beside me and my own crop for the next mile so wasn't too worried about doing any damage to anyone else. Was spraying roundup at the time. Just sprayed like this for an hour so I could rinse after. Went back later and there literally wasn't two feet of drift!!!! I couldn't believe it!!! My neighbor on the other hand was spraying roundup at the same time beside one of my fields without wind screens, I seen him doing this and thought he must just be spraying for flea beatles because they were bad at the time, I could see the drift from a half mile away. To say the least 20 acres of our barley didn't fair too well. If you don't like your neighbors, go ahead and spray, if you don't want to be an #@*hole, stay in the yard!!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Lechlers and 60k+ wind. Wouldn't want to spray adjacent to something susceptible, but it still worked. Only done it a few times.
New high score.:D

Did 40km winds with glyphosate using air bubblejet nozzles. Spring burnoff, trying to keep ahead of the drill. No neighbours to worry about. Had good results. Would not make it a common practice though that's for sure.

·
Registered
195 Posts
New high score.:D

Did 40km winds with glyphosate using air bubblejet nozzles. Spring burnoff, trying to keep ahead of the drill. No neighbours to worry about. Had good results. Would not make it a common practice though that's for sure.
I have had to on three occasions do this, usually a high wind before a three day rain.
Once was terrible wind, a client seeded mustard before burn off, it was starting to come up. The only thing that would get hurt was his own. Amazingly it worked.
Once on my own durum incrop and one other time in durum.

I wouldn't try it today, not comfortable enough with current setup.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Just got in from spraying corn....23km gusting to 37km. Dont mind the 23 but the 37 is more than I want....got 4in rain last weekend and its supposed to rain for the next 3 days so just got it done. Transorb 540 @.5L/ac....AIXR violet nozzles @5 gpa....couldnt get more than 20psi because it was so muddy and soft. There was only hayland of mine and road ditches for headlands so not too worried.

·
Registered
179 Posts
A few years back, had 3185 cih sprayer. Bubble jet nozzle, 5 gal with round up and about 25-30 km wind. Wanted to finish some rr canola, so I could go to farm progress. I did an awesome job on neighbors flax. I didn't even think it was up yet, but he did.. Crop ins said I smoked 53 acres of his. I paid for it. Bought 4420 with aim control and at 30 km winds have never drifted but I won't go in higher then that. Ps never liked that neighbor much anyhow.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I don't know the actual wind speed but they were forecasting 80K and, while I protested, the customer insisted it would be fine. It was preseed roundup and there was no where it could go but I was concerned about misses. I sprayed 2 half sections in that wind, reports were that some people lost shingles off there houses and a few bins blew over. A freind of mine was floating on fertilizer 1/2 mile away and had to shut it down as the wind was blowing the fert away. I sprayed into and with the wind, went slow (12mph) into the wind and fast with the wind. The wrost part was trying to load the sprayer. The farmer reported a perfect job with no misses. Would I recommend spraying in these conditions, certainly not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.