The Combine Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I fell victim to the whole fert shortage this year and ended up seeding without phosphate.
Every year I soil sample I get the same recommended 20-25 pounds phos/acre. I broadcast 25 pounds an acre and put 25 pounds down with the drills. This year I put no phos down.

I'm not so sure if I'm just paranoid or what but my wheat doesn't seem like it's taking off so well, just trying to get a few opinions before I decide to throw more money at the crop or if I'm just kicking a dead horse.

I was tossing around the idea of broadcasting phos and trying to irrigate it in with the pivot (of course when I finish seeding they found some phos for me haha) but I don't think it would move the phos down to the root zone like it would with N correct?

·
Registered
221 Posts
It also helps the roots to grow faster and better. That is why seeds have a small supply of P in them. I have heard that it can move anywhere from 1/8 inch to 1/10 inch in the soil per year. Depending on your soil and who you talk to. But anyways not very much movement.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
You likely won't notice too much of a yield reduction if this is the first year this has happened. The crop will mine the P that is in the soil.

Next year you will need to be sure to add P. If your 25 lb Broadcast + 25 lb with seed has been working for you, that's fine, but you'll also need to add whatever this year's crop removes as well. (Quick web search said that wheat is around 0.5 lb/bu removal for P.)

Andrew

·
Registered
377 Posts
During the last drought in Australia we sowed with very low rates of urea instead of the usual DAP. The hit of nitrogen got the plants going, and there was sufficient P still in the soil from previous drought effected crops.

If the soil has sufficient P it may be more efficient to only sow with N.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
So I fell victim to the whole fert shortage this year and ended up seeding without phosphate.
Every year I soil sample I get the same recommended 20-25 pounds phos/acre. I broadcast 25 pounds an acre and put 25 pounds down with the drills. This year I put no phos down.

I'm not so sure if I'm just paranoid or what but my wheat doesn't seem like it's taking off so well, just trying to get a few opinions before I decide to throw more money at the crop or if I'm just kicking a dead horse.

I was tossing around the idea of broadcasting phos and trying to irrigate it in with the pivot (of course when I finish seeding they found some phos for me haha) but I don't think it would move the phos down to the root zone like it would with N correct?
i got 5 ton of phos left over your welcome to that at what i paid for it located near yorkton

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's the most important fertilizer. However, if this is the 1st year you went without P it should be ok.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Wheat of all the crops I grow seems to be most sensitive to deficiency. I also grow canola barley and lupins. Barley and lupins probably would not worry them to much if I missed.

One year I left the fertilizer lid open and the wheat went out without fert for ten ha. When we noticed the stunted growth we chucked superphosphate at it plus any spare bit of phos we could put in a spreader. Nothing did any good; it needed it from the start. Having said that I farm sandy deficient soils. It is also more available if you are having a wet season. You will have more of a problem in dry conditions.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Too late to be any good this year. I think you'll be ok if your soil bank has reserves.

·
Registered
883 Posts
We ran out of fertilizer (Urea, Phos, ESN blend) on one strip because Bourgault POS didn't work.

Anyway so we went down that strip again with just the fertilizer and because it wasn't in the row with the seed you can see a distinct difference in colour.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input fellas! Gives me a little more confidence in the crop now! The wheat is grown on irrigation and i think it's on heavier type soil, more like a clay loam than sandy.

So since it don't move much I'm better off just putting it on with the drill rather than broadcasting it also for future reference?

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Since head size is determined early..may be worth looking at spraying on some P ...like maptec or yarra magnum? At 4 or 5 leaf stage or so..start of tillering...??...P use up to G32 is very important IMO...maybe chuck in some zinc and cu...and should get some better head formation?

Good luck

Ant...

·
Registered
364 Posts
We ran out of fertilizer (Urea, Phos, ESN blend) on one strip because Bourgault POS didn't work.

Anyway so we went down that strip again with just the fertilizer and because it wasn't in the row with the seed you can see a distinct difference in colour.
Sure it wasn't the chemical getting incorporated over the seed that caused your crop to go yellow? Just that I doubt the fert not being in the row was your problem. The roots would of found the fert quite easily.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have never heard of a liquid p, but if it's available I'll put some down with the pivot. I'm not a strong believer in micro nutrients but maybe I'll have to try it out. Have you had any experience spraying liquid p?

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I use yarra magnum...which is mainly P with N and K and some micros...worked really well on a stressed crop...could see the line where the sprayer missed and those heads were stuffed...not overly dear either IMO....there would be more choice of products over there than in Aus...the veggie industry has some good brews as well...I will use Angus just before flowering this year...I place alot of P with seed MAP..

Ant...

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I also doubt that you would see a big yield reduction by skipping a year, but if you have irrigated land to take it in, I would still do it. We are finding that with our zero till research plots that P is far more mobile in dissolved forms than most people have given it credit for.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay even if you had it soil tested there could be more plant usable phos than the test would come up with?

I find it funny how every year I've been farming the soil tests always say 25pds phos on them... It's probably more of a recommended "upkeep" than a requirement? Next year I'll just have to put double on.

So the plant will dissolve phos through the leaves? Or it only works if you band liquid phos?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts