The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am developing a robot combine- and tractor driver. In first place for the harvest season.

For that reason I was wondering:
How is the staff shortage in your areas? And do you think a robot driver would be a great solution for the staff shortage? And what are the requirements for a robot to let you take it control over your combine?

I would like to hear from you

greetings,
Niels

·
Registered
922 Posts
Remote combine , tractor and so Fort
Wtf is the sense off all off this
I’m lonely as it is no farming has to become automatic also , your best friend are the techies that keeps your farm rolling so you can pay tax for the unemployment’s sitting at home ………

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
I'm not particularly interesting in autonomous combines at the moment. That's one of the few jobs left in farming that is not only fun and relaxing, but one that you can train your kids to do. There are very few training situations for tractors and other operations, sadly. We used to do summerfallow so us kids could spend hours learning how to drive a tractor and mistakes didn't matter so much. Now there isn't that much opportunity to give experience like that.

I would be interested an autonomous grain cart some day. Let me do the fun job, and let it handle the tedious stuff.

There are lots of possibilities for automation on my farm of course, but I don't really want to sit on a beach somewhere and monitor things from a phone. The point of farming is, well farming. Getting your hands dirty.

For large farms where the owner is just managing people more than actually farming anyway, then automation could make sense especially when labor gets tight like it is now. And I do have large neighbors with many employees and automation of all sorts is of interest to them, and they will be the first adopters.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Remote combine , tractor and so Fort
Wtf is the sense off all off this
I’m lonely as it is no farming has to become automatic also , your best friend are the techies that keeps your farm rolling so you can pay tax for the unemployment’s sitting at home ………
Long gone are the days of a neighbour on every 1/4, and you could support a family much larger than we have today.

That was before my time, I do remember about 5x more families in my area than now.

For the ones that will say they didn't have much,(compared to what we have), No kidding, no one did.

No cell phones, crap, I wish I still didn't know what one was.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
As soon they have perfected this, farmers will be a thing in the past. a fleet of robots followed by tech geeks online with agronomists will put in a crop, inputs will be handled on large scale in an office building downtown, with a fleet of semis bringing in the inputs and taking away the grain. All decisions and marketing will be done in head office with execs making the plays. going the way of oil and lumber.
Some farmers now can't even change oil or get their hands dirty, always sending someone else to do it, he just owns the land (for now).

·
Registered
945 Posts
There is going to be a lot of interest in automated machines. Labor shortages are a very real thing, BUT, there is an almost ZERO chance that this will be an add on thing that farmers buy. It will be an offering from the machine manufacturer. Liability and government approval will never happen for the small developer of the technology. Completely integrated machine control will be essential to full automation and every manufacturer is locking up their access.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts