The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how the harvest is gong out there. Our machines are still stuck in the barn waiting for the weather to clear. Just got two inches of rain this weekend. Not good wheat is sprouting and the falling numbers cant fall any further. Neighbor took a sample in today 28% moisture, 40% sprouts, falling numbers fell to 80. Gotta love Michigan Weather. Hope everything is going better for the rest or you all.

G

·
well everything out here is still green as grass.
sorry to hear about your wheat, hope the rest of your crop is ok though

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
White wheat. We thought we had it bad last year with the falling numbers just above the 240 limit, and 5% sprouts. The bigger farms are going like heck the last few days. Kinda strange to see three combines going in a downpour. wish i had a video of it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Nothing off here north of Bad Axe, MI. Sounds like sprouts are about 70% in some cases. It is possible that no wheat will be deliverable in nearly all of Huron County. Most of our wheat has root hairs sticking out of it right in the head. I don't know what the millers are going to use for flour this year????? That sure is going to be crushing for this little community. I'm glad our family doesn't have many bills this year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
iam in ontario canada and hope to start tomorrow if it don't rain tonight hard red wheat planted it sept 27 2008 have about 100 acres ready and 550acres in a week or so got 4 inches of rain here last week

·
Registered
102 Posts
The crop up in NW Minn looks real good, but we are 3-4 weeks away from combining. The weather is staying cool. Great for the wheat crappy for the row crops.

·
Registered
27 Posts
hey,
here in Europe the harvest is starting, well some acres of winter wheat is ready for harvest.
I start harvesting tomorrow with 120 acres of winter wheat with a Deutz Fahr M36.10.
I still hope that my boss will buy a new one next year, i prefer a new holland cx9060.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Tractorman41, What part of Ontario are you from? Are you near lake Huron. We get our foundation soft white wheat from Ontario and all the wheat here in the Thumb of Michigan is badly sprouted. Have you heard of farmers with sprout problems?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The weather finally broke for five days!!!!!!!!!! Started late Tuesday night and finished up Saturday night in a drizzle around 8 O'Clock or so. We had 25 acres good quality wheat our of 200 acres. Lowest and highest sprouts we had were anywhere from 8% to 26%. Test weights were 56 to 60. All in all much better than we had previously thought. We were jumping up and down the first day when the elevator excepted it. Still don't know what we will get for our damaged wheat yet. We will be very happy with $2.00.

Hope everything goes better for everyone else.

·
Registered
134 Posts
We got all the wheat off, but 30 acres that is going to be a total loss. I have some insurance and I hope my company plays fair. I have heard that people with insurance through Farm Credit might have some trouble. The adjuster told my neighbor to thrash the wheat so it doesn't get worse and that he could just dump it on the headland and scoop it up later if they, get this "they" the insurance company found a market for it. We have had sprout damage any where from 3% to 45%. I have heard as high a 80%. Those 5 days last week where great and we had just a couple of minor problems with the combine. Maybe 40 minutes of down time on 400 acres. I love that part.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
wow things sound fairly crappy in the quality stakes up there, I am sorry to hear of all the sprouting and falling number problems. How widespread is the problems? I wonder if it is big enough to have an effect on the international grain price for feed grade wheats.

steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
We just finished our up today. 100ac in 2 days, hardly enough to get the machine out. We are in southwestern ontario and the quality and yields have been great. I think ours would have gone 95bu/ac.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts