The Combine Forum banner

How late?

3K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  WD06 
#1 ·
What is the latest some of you have planted barley and flax and harvested a reasonable crop in the same year? I am in northern nd.

#2 ·
sowed flax the june 15 went 25 did it in november with untestable moisture took alot of drying but it worked neighbours many many many moons ago sowed buckwheat july4 went 25 i have seeded buckwheat june 24 finished june26 was the largest buckwheat crop i have ever seen then it grew 5feet tall solid flowers and tons of seed then sept long weekend it froze i swathed the jungle it never dried out and i ended up with 5 bushel an acre at 25moisture dry is 15 it has been my luck that if its too late cut the losses and get the land in shape to but winter wheat or rye in good shape and hope it all works out. in 2weeks the world will be a drier place
the reason i am sure of that is because in my world i need 25 seeding days and i can see me being the only one not done again.

#3 ·
We planted some barley May17th last year. That was the latest we ever planted. It was almost a month past the usual planting date for our area. We harvested 1.7 t/a; about half of normal. To be fair, other area grain didn't do well either and that field missed a May 20th frost that hammered more advanced grain. Also, the barley we planted in April wasn't much better.

#9 ·
I wouldn't seed barley past May 10th most years, but this year that's probably going to be the equivalent of June 1. Oats can handle the heat a bit better.
???? I don't think we've ever seeded an acre before may 10th but 2-3 times in dad's lifetime, let alone barley which we usually seed close to last around the last week in may. Why is everyone panicking?

#11 ·
I agree with nicemustang, why so much panic??? I farm just south of Riding Mountain Park and we seldom get going much before may 10th. We have one of the shortest growing seasons and least heat units in Manitoba and for the most part get decent crops. Mind you we dont start combining until late August/early Sept. most years. Most guys are done before we get going!!!!

#12 ·
I'm in N. central MT, just a few miles south of 49° N.

In 2011 we didn't finish seeding SW until June 21, the latest I've ever seeded wheat. The latest fields were SW on SW stubble, not because we wanted to but because those were the only fields dry enough to plant. We ended up with a mild fall, harvesting in mid October. The late planting made 25-27 bu. with decent quality. That's about 2/3 of average, but pretty good, all things considered.

Last year we started seeding SW on May 9. We'll be ready on the 9th this year but it's still too cold and wet to start. There have been a lot of years that we haven't finished until the first week of June. I think it's about 3 weeks too early to be concerned.

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.