The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious about how many hours you have on your Lexions. I have about 2000 separator hours on mine and would like to know your preventative maintenance program besides greasing.

How do you inspect your combine bearings, belts, etc... Are there bearings that you just replace every few years as insurance or do you run until failure?

I am thinking that many of my bearings should be replaced just incase, maybe I am wrong?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
It would be nice if they had a PM program like they do for the hwy trucks. X number of gallons burnt and in she goes for an in frame. Only with the combines it would be X number of thrashing hours this, this, and this needs to be replaced regardless.

I can't help you on your specific question for 400 and 500 series lexion's as I'm just in the process of switching to lexion from Deere. I know we've been through our 9610 twice in 1800 hours extensively, every winter we go over the machines in general to look for anything obvious (belts, chains, sprockets, ect.....)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I am curious about how many hours you have on your Lexions. I have about 2000 separator hours on mine and would like to know your preventative maintenance program besides greasing.

How do you inspect your combine bearings, belts, etc... Are there bearings that you just replace every few years as insurance or do you run until failure?

I am thinking that many of my bearings should be replaced just incase, maybe I am wrong?
I have a 1999 480 with 3100 engine and 2400 sep hrs that has had quite a bit of work, all winter shop time, almost no field downtime. My 2008 590 has had very little done at 1100 eng and 740 sep hrs except replacing the stock cylinder with SB and the main cross shaft along with new bearings because the original owner plugged it bad.
I am too slow at typing to list all I have done to the 480 but PM me and will get in touch.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My 470 has 3800 thrashing and 4400 engine hrs, do 2500-3000ac/yr custom. Still in great condition, have had no majors, do all my own service work. Grease rotor and chopper bearings once a day when warm, never grease when cold, the rest as per class recommends. Changed rotor bearings once, change belts as I see wear or cracks or broken, changed bubble up auger, on my third feeder house chain, second set of rub bars, original concave which will be changed for next year, original impeller , original wearing parts on rotors which will also be changed for next season. On second set of clean grains and returns chains. Had to replace top right hand sieve. No doubt there have been other small issues but overall it has been excellent and still is a good machine.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
My 470 has 3800 thrashing and 4400 engine hrs, do 2500-3000ac/yr custom. Still in great condition, have had no majors, do all my own service work. Grease rotor and chopper bearings once a day when warm, never grease when cold, the rest as per class recommends. Changed rotor bearings once, change belts as I see wear or cracks or broken, changed bubble up auger, on my third feeder house chain, second set of rub bars, original concave which will be changed for next year, original impeller , original wearing parts on rotors which will also be changed for next season. On second set of clean grains and returns chains. Had to replace top right hand sieve. No doubt there have been other small issues but overall it has been excellent and still is a good machine.
(Pretty much the same as we have found with our 480) Over 3000 sep on our 480. All original greaseable bearings. 1600 sep on two 590's. Changed a bearing we thought had a tick but honestly don't think it needed it after we had the pulleys off. Still a great machine and the 590's sure don't just kill it.

The only bearing failure we have had is on one 590 on the drive end of the shoe rocker shaft.

Off season we'll take the tension off all the belts and check for any shaft play. During the season we'll check around with an infra-red gun once and a while looking for early signs of bearing failure. Some do run more hot than others just from higher load so need to keep a running average and look for changes.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Willbier, were you able to determine the cause of your 485 fire? What grease do you use in your bearings.

I was told the only bearing you can over grease is the chopper bearings, is that correct?

Has anyone considered a dumbed down version of the claas autolube system that would not include every 500 grease fitting and just put a system on the major rotating bearings. APS, Cyl, impellor, primary countershaft, and maybe a fewe others. Seems like that would be simple enough to do. What are we talking about maybe 10 bearings that would be lubed during the heat of the day while they are operating.

Static greasing is good, but I have to believe that greasing a warm rotating bearing would be best and they would probably last forever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.