The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we went to the dealer to look over what was wrong with the combine since its in for the clinic. Typical stuff for the most part..bearings here and there.

Then we got to the rearend. If any of you read my thread last fall we snapped an axle on the left hand side. Put an upgraded 70STS 1 piece cast unit in and problem was solved.

Was looking over the combine with the tech and the right hand wheel is cracked in 6 different spots, going from the center of the wheel out about 4-5" and i never noticed it, and im surprised the rim didnt just shatter.

Is anyone else having as many issues with the rearend as we are? I don't think we're putting too much stress on it since we only have 125bu extensions on it along with tip-ups (like every other combine) just seems wierd we're having so many issues with the rear holding together.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Re: How many STS (50 series) guys have rearend iss

What size rims do you have? What headers do you run? A 36ft flex draper would take alot of weight off the rear axle vs. a lighter pickup head. Do you have 4WD? The original Deere 4WD rims are built significantly heavier than the 2WD ones so I assume you don't.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

893 Deere cornhead with knife rolls and a 930F 30' flex head, no 4wd, no idea on rim size or tire size in the back.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

They are probably 16.9 R26. Should be enough rubber for most conditions. Corn heads are pretty heavy so the back end is light.

Wait I know what the problem is, to much plowing and you aren't slowing down when you bounce over the dead furrows. lol

·
Registered
51 Posts

Hasnt happened to me yet, but are you turning on headlands alot, either with full hopper or not?? Goes to reason that short 1/4 mile long fields add more stress than mile long ones.Having a speed cowboy in the cab while making the turns also would add to the flex/ stress.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

we turn while theres a load on so we can get the auger out to unload yea...we only turn at 4.5-6.5mph (depending on what crop were cutting). We did it all the time with our 9600 and it never gave us an issue.

Our fields are pretty well split, lots of 1/4mile rows and lots of 1mile rows, just depends on the field.

·
Registered
486 Posts

We crack the rear rims all the time. We usually get them before they turn into a serious problem, but they crack every now and again. Oh and we got 600's on the back, the tall ones to suit the tall 800 tire on the front.

Then again we do alot of roadwork with our machines, but it is hard to say if that matters... They just crack for no real good reason.

The front rims stay good thoug.

·
Registered
76 Posts

We have broke nearly every axle where the 4 wheel drive bolts on and upgraded to cast. Solved that problem but now having issues with poly cone rubber bushing on front of pivot for rear axle. The cone rubber bushing is a weak point also.

·
Registered
193 Posts

Our '00 9650STS has had a couple issues the last two years w/ the rear end. Last year, lost all 4 bolts that hold the front poly 'cone' on the front half of the pivot. Also broke the welds on the round tube at the front. Got it all welded up, new bolts installed, no more problems. This year (just a few days ago!), looked in the mirror while cutting along the turn rows, and see the rear end swinging side to side again, one tire stopping while the other climbs across the row, then that one stopping while the other does the same. Knew what it was this time. Bolts were gone again, but last year's weld on the front tubing was fine, but did notice a small crack in the frame that the rear tube and cone slip into. A few more welds, four more bolts, and all is holding well, so far. I CANNOT believe that those front bolts are only M8 x 35's. BTW, 14.9's, 2WD, 30.5L-32's, 930R platform, milo only.

·
Registered
21 Posts

we have haD heck with our combine 9750 we have broke the bolts on the right and left one time and broke the hub on the left one time, it actually happened today and twice last year one time with no load or header and once i was setting on the end talking on the phone and it just broke off then today it happened on the end when i was fixin to turn in the biggest mud hole in the field pretty loaded had to get an escavater to come pick the axle up out of the mud,my dad has been trying to get ahold of the main guys at jd he prollly gonna give them an earful i mean they have like 8 lug bolts holding the tire on but only 4 holding the hub that the rim mounts to to the axle.

·
Registered
193 Posts

Just curious, mineboggler: Do you have the "dish" on the rear rims facing outward, by any chance? I believe they're supposed to be dished inward, which would put less strain on the spindles when turning. Just a thought.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Just curious, do you fellas that have the axle/rim issues use the turning brakes heavily on the ends? I know a guy a few years ago that in one day broke both right and left rear spindles and wedged a 25' header in a 22' bridge all in one day. He was notorious for "skidding" the back end of the combine around each time he turned on the end. Would using the brakes less help?? Don't mean to be critical of your operating habits, just curious. Have a great day and be careful of those pesky bridges!!

·
Registered
21 Posts

2000 9650 STS, 16.9 26 rear tires - I was sitting at the end of the field waiting for a wagon this year, then slowly pulled out into the endrows, and I noticed I could hardly turn. I looked in the mirror and the left rear wheel had leaned over about 45 degrees and was breaking. The rim broke, and upon inspection we found the other rim was cracked too. Got it jacked up and put a set of heavier wheels from a 9660 on the next day. We do not turn fast by any means, and though we do use the brake at times it's at a low speed with little skidding involved. We do ridge-till so our fields are about as smooth as a road. Bottom line is this should not have happened - and from the looks of this thread the rear end was a little under-engineered on the 50 series.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts