The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been about six here, this coming weeks also got tba status. Pretty frustrating told elevator they might as well have all gone to Jamaica for a month with the farmers and get cn and cp to phone down when they get going.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
this week we will be sitting at 10 weeks no cars in our area

cn rail is so f in slow its nuts guys who work the rail say there busy moving anything but grain

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Which elevator are you talking about, Black Pearl? Kemnay? Forrest? Nesbitt? Souris? (Did I miss any close-to-Brandon ones??)

Andrew

·
Registered
618 Posts
One of my local elevators just got cars they were waiting for since end of Dec.

But they only got 4!!! Maybe 5 more next week, and a dozen or so sometime.... 4 cars! They could take that much into the elevator on a slow morning! I havent seen any grain cars on the track or a siding since before Christmas.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Waiting for our Dec.wheat to move..CN had cars sitting on a siding @ Watson, Humboldt, north of John Deere, and they had loaded cars @P+H at Quill Lake for 3 weeks..So where did all the engines go? Those cars got there some how?

·
Registered
152 Posts
9 weeks, still waiting to deliver the last half of November delivery. Canada is a third world country when it comes to logistics with this rail system. If I read one more report from cn or cp that says they are on track with last years deliveries, or blame the weather for slower service or any other story on how great of job they are doing iam going to go postal.

Here is something to chew on, I also work for an oil company and we are delivering our oil to rail at lashburn and unity; while we have had to wait on cars to be delivered we have never waited more than 5 days from November to today. The lashburn tanker drop off is less than 15 km down the track from the one pioneer elevator and yet they can't get cars? Why???? What do we have to do or give up so the rail lines will service the rest of the commodity sector? Is this all a game so that there is more pressure to put through the keystone pipeline? Back log the rail so it shows its an absolute no brainier to put in a controversial oil pipe line? Something more is going on and the only people winning are shareholders with the rail lines.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Bottom line, there's more money in oil then grain

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm gettin bitter:

1. finally got last of 2000 mt of $6.70 wheat out and hauled 18 mt of overage.......viterra Weyburn could not cut me a check for 4 days because head office had to price it.....last 18 mt came at $3.75/bu

2. Shipped 500 mt of Nexera clearfield non gmo $13.30/bu to St Agathe thru viterra with "free trucking" fob farm (Weyburn)....well 28 mt overage was priced at $7.70/bu.....I called St Agathe viterra and their bid $8.25.....so much for "free trucking"...I guess I get paid the Weyburn price....

Think time to tell Viterra to take a picture of my semis......cuz they won't see them again......

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
That happimens to me lots for Viterra contracted feed barley. Sadly any overload is given spot price( and its normallyower

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'm gettin bitter:

1. finally got last of 2000 mt of $6.70 wheat out and hauled 18 mt of overage.......viterra Weyburn could not cut me a check for 4 days because head office had to price it.....last 18 mt came at $3.75/bu

2. Shipped 500 mt of Nexera clearfield non gmo $13.30/bu to St Agathe thru viterra with "free trucking" fob farm (Weyburn)....well 28 mt overage was priced at $7.70/bu.....I called St Agathe viterra and their bid $8.25.....so much for "free trucking"...I guess I get paid the Weyburn price....

Think time to tell Viterra to take a picture of my semis......cuz they won't see them again......
You should be lucky saying the "last" of anything. I would be happy with getting the first 2000MT into the elevator.:mad:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Been talking to CN employees about the issues.

Long story short, it is capitalism at its finest.

When I decide who to sell my grain/cattle to, I often choose the company that is going to give me the best price.

Why should the rails be any different? If oil pays more than grain to haul, who are we to criticize?

It's a dog eat dog world and everyone, farmers and big business included, are looking to be profitable.

It sucks, but I can't blame them.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I'm gettin bitter:

Not sure if you are bragging or complaining?:confused:

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Been talking to CN employees about the issues.

Long story short, it is capitalism at its finest.

When I decide who to sell my grain/cattle to, I often choose the company that is going to give me the best price.

Why should the rails be any different? If oil pays more than grain to haul, who are we to criticize?

It's a dog eat dog world and everyone, farmers and big business included, are looking to be profitable.

It sucks, but I can't blame them.
Yes I agree that the rail company is only looking out for itself.

If we want them to do anything different it will take some legislation. Part of that might be some tax breaks or other compensation. Or giving them a stern reminder that rail companies are making money using assets that were given to them (or given to them very cheaply).

So we need to write our MPs, and let Minister Ritz know how things are affecting us and the economy. There is justification in passing legislation.

Also building the controversial pipelines in Alberta and the US will do a lot to take oil from the rail companies. Despite the high costs of the pipelines, they have more capacity and are cheaper per barrel in the long run than freight trains.

·
Registered
816 Posts
1973! :eek:, must have lost your rail, not just third world Canada pulling up rails?
Get NO reply to emails, got start phoning these useless Con MP"s that were God's gift to Canada. Turns out they are dancing ONLY to BIG business tunes. We are sh*t in their plans. They only hear from 1000's of lobbyists for rail, potash and oil. Ring those phones! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
889 Posts
This situation is killing agriculture right now. It is very discouraging.
Wondering how spring breakup is going to affect oil shipments. Are there going to be a flurry of car deliveries at elevators just before and during seeding? I am guessing there will be.

The basis levels are still f***in ridiculous and we are way below the cost of production. It pisses me off when I see oil trains and freight trains mixed together. The grain industry was forced to go with 110 car unit trains and consolidated large elevators and inland terminals for efficiency, yet I see small oil trains going by all the time.
There are 2 train spots close to me that are now loading general freight and frac sand that used to be grain elevators. They are small sidings with 6 to 10 car spots and have no trouble getting cars.

The cars have been coming to southern Alberta lately and grain has been moving, but this situation needs to be addressed. We need some competition in the rail industry to sort this out, or else the entire ag industry will pay the price.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts