The Combine Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I am a 24 yr old 2nd yr farmer that farms 515 acres. I started farming in an agreement with my 2nd cousin who is 56 and has no sons. He farms 1100 acres all in one spot. The deal is that I work for him for the use of his equipment and one day (hopefully if inputs dont put us out of business) I will take over his operation when he is ready to retire. Last year we bought a 1480 together because we had 400 acres of cotton and 1215 acres of grain. This year we have all grain. He has been paying some custom harvesters for the past two years to run with the 1480 to harvest his crops and I have used the 1480 to harvest all of my crops.

I have been borrowing money through the beginning farmer program through the USDA/FSA. I need to be purchasing some equipment along the way so when I "graduate" from this lending program I will have collateral so I can obtain funding elsewere.

I said all that to pose this question. I thought about purchasing a 2388/2588 to harvest all of our crops and charge my cousin just enough to cover the fuel and wear on the machine. The local custom harvester guys are charging $30. What do you think a fair rate would be? He has a 500 bu. J&M cart that would either be pulled by his or my tractor.

I think this situation would be better than if we bought a newer machine together as we did the 1480 because I would be paying half the cost of the machine and running it over 515 acres and he is paying the same to use it on 1100 acres.

Sorry for the long post. TIA

·
Registered
255 Posts
Re: How much for Custom Harvesting in this situati

there are two ways to tackle this one first good comunication between the two parties involved sit down with your cousin option 1 you buy the 23 or 2588 charge the normal custom rate for your area he's going to pay that to a custom guy anyway, 2nd ya'll buy the machine on halv's like the 1480 an charge each other the normal custom rate per acre at the end of the season all cost to operate an notes on the machine are paid first if anthing is left then it is divided in halve

1 - 2 of 2 Posts