The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering malt this yr, what are guys using for N? Seems every time I grew malt the protein was high. Will be grown on canola stubble so there shouldn't be a lot of N left. It's hard to maximize yield but keep protein low.

·
Registered
71 Posts
we have had same troubles determining correct N rate to keep protein in check. a few years ago we planted a lot of barley and did all our soil testing with Western ag Labs. Most fields he had us putting down 90-100 lbs. of actual N which made us very nervous but we followed the recommendation otherwise what are you paying for soil testing for. So anyways we had lots of rain that year and the barley was stressed and most of the barley was thin, light weight and higher protein, the high protein surprised us with all the rain, usually drought contributes to higher protein. BUT.. we had one field about 10 miles away that didn't get quite as much rain and was a nice healthy crop, it did over 100 bushels/acre and had 12% protein, high test weight, just perfect malt barley. so when all the stars line up you can pour the inputs to it and be fine but one little hiccup and all that N will bite you in the ass in my opinion. from here on in I think we will put down a modest amount of N with barley, like 75 lbs and hope for the best.

·
Registered
71 Posts
ZEEMAN, we usually add K to barley, depends mainly on what soil test calls for. We have come to really trust Western ag labs tests with the exception of a few crops (peas being the main one). They do always call for lots of K on most crops with the exception of canola so we try use it whenever possible while still keeping logistics/manpower/cost in mind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.