The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at trading my 8820 Titan for a 9610.
The 9610 has slightly more hours but is clean and appears to be well taken care of.
The 8820 is in good shape but it's age is showing - little things keep breaking. Nothing real major but enough to shut me down for a few hours regularly.

I was reading some threads on here that said a 9610 isn't that much better than an 8820. I looked at the two and it appears to be quite an upgrade.

Curious as to what you who have owned both think about this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Great cab, quiet clean, easier to service but more electronics. Unfortunately Deere changed the wood walker crank blocks to the grease company's design. Weak rear wheel bearings and shoe frames. Chopper drives gave trouble. Check for chopper welds from out of balance running.

·
Registered
464 Posts
That 8820 Titan II is the class of its Era for a reason , amazing capacity for old school thrasher- it replaced a 1480 and a 1460 IH coffee grinders and was more productive with less downtime

I'd hang on to it and buy the 9610 - there not worth much anymore, and for what you ll get in trade in allowance for your 88, I'd have both and you ll have a back up when one goes down

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
That 8820 Titan II is the class of its Era for a reason , amazing capacity for old school thrasher- it replaced a 1480 and a 1460 IH coffee grinders and was more productive with less downtime

I'd hang on to it and buy the 9610 - there not worth much anymore, and for what you ll get in trade in allowance for your 88, I'd have both and you ll have a back up when one goes down
Agreed!

The 8820 isn't going to be worth much (especially on a trade), so keeping both might be an option. If one breaks, you have a backup. If you happen to have a friend/neighbour/family that wants to help, you can have both of them running.

Andrew

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have to agree with the above post as well... I have an older 8820 and when in the field with a 9600 (I feel the 9600 and 9610 are almost identical capacity wise) they might gain a round or two in a good afternoon. Might as well have both if you can keep them indoors during the off-seasons.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Capacity is not much better. Cab and operation is light years ahead. Very good jump. You have to put money into your combine so it might as well be the 9610 cause the 88 is heading to the grave yard about 20 years sooner.

·
Premium Member
2,807 Posts
The comfort level operating the two is by far the biggest change. Push button setting on fan and concave. Much quitter cab and cleaner cab with engine in back. Joystick speed and header controls. Larger cab with training seat is nice. You get to sit in the middle of the combine!
The 9610 should out cut the 8820 by a fair amount, not huge, but a fair amount. I have ran 8820 with 30ft head and 9650 walker with 36ft head in 60 bushel winter wheat. The 9650 walker can go a slight bit faster. Fairly sure the 9650 and 9610 have the same concave. The 8820 was not a titan. I have no idea how much a difference that would make.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
We had a 9610..if you can jump to a 9650, or similar rotor go for it..Much bigger capacity with out the walker loss...
9650's are an arm and a leg for maintenance costs. I've heard of multiple people dumping 50K+ after the 2500 hr mark. not many around my area for that reason.

we actually just picked up a 99 9610. Very happy so far. 2650 sep hrs, dual chaff spreader, and fine straw chopper (must have). Will last us many years on our smaller farm. Give plenty of room to do custom as well. was in 55 bu spring wheat this weekend going 3.5 mph. Definitely could have pushed harder but was in no rush and wanted to get used to the combine (my first!). threw more off the header then anything. there are some great upgrades for these machines that will let you pass the 9650's and nearly keep up with some of the rotors. for the price difference I'd go with the 9610 if you can get a good price and install performance parts as time and cost permits.

·
Registered
117 Posts
9600/9610's are quite a bit easier to fix compared to the 8820 And are pretty reliable. There is so many jobber parts available also for sometimes less then half price of jd.. I believe they are better on fuel then the 8820's were also. You would have to put in a really long day before you would burn 100 gallons. Don't think you really gain much on capacity though. maybe 10%

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.