The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got to try the new 9870s out in our winter wheat this weekend, and we have the powercast tailboard and the knife bank pushed all the way in. We found that these combines really have no more power than the 9860s OR is the chopper just eating it all up? The straw is very tough on the verge of green and yielding around 60-70bpa.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Re: How much power do the new 70 series choppers t

It can take up to 80hp to run a chopper depending of course on the style/brand etc. I am not sure of JD's exact requirements.

·
Registered
45 Posts

I heard somewhere that the powercast tailboard takes some horses right off the top. I also heard that the machines with the powecast can use up to 40 more gallons/day vs. the standard 70 chopper.

But not to get off of subject, how did you like it in your circumstances.

·
Registered
45 Posts

The reason I ask is because we have close to the same conditions but maybe not quite as much straw, and I was curious if it is worth the extra money considering we would only really need it on about 1000 acres of 50ft swathed barley.

Thanks for the info.

P.s. We've been running the GS2 2600 display for awhile and love it. An absolute must if you get the chance.

·
Registered
45 Posts

o...also there is a break-in chip that burns out at 75 hours i believe. Not sure of the exact percent but I don't think its more than 5-8%. Just something to look forward to.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts

You better tell John Deere about this, I doubt they know anything about it.

Don

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I could understand those hyd motors using a little extra hp. As far as the combines we go our past combines were 9600s and then 9860s and now the 70 series, so thats what we have to compare them too. The combines are great, I got some more time in them on sunday afternoon and realized that the straw was extremely tough and that the combines def did have more power than the 60s. Our 9860 would have been on its knees at 1.5-2.0mph but the 9870 was still truckin along at 2.5-3mph. The powercast tailboard is incredible, can easily spread 50+ feet if you want. The bullet rotor is new to us and it makes everything a little quieter with less banging. I really like using the combine with the GS2 in it but without a GS2 monitor I find the little monitor to take alot of time, especially typing in fields. The new lift cylinders a huge plus, can lift a 8000lb header at low idle as if its not there. Quite pleased so far after I realized that maybe I was expecting too much.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Ok so your saying that something changes and gives the engine more power? seems odd.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I would highly recommend it especially if your zero till. Barley in our area has some pretty thick straw as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Only passing on what i have heard...pretty reliable source but you never know.

Thanks for the info...defineately giving it some thought.

·
Registered
125 Posts

You'd be amazed at how much hp can be eaten up in a chopper, especially with the stationary knives in all the way and tough straw. That being said, the new choper design was supposed to have a 15% powersavings over previous models. If you wanna try, You probably won't notice much chopping difference, but might gain back some power with the knives at half or so. (My experience is with 9660/9670sts more material in 9870 same size chopper, might be completely different) Hope all goes well!

·
Registered
23 Posts

According to my John Deere tech.... with the knives in all the way you lose 75 hp. He said they recommend to only put the knives in half way

1 - 12 of 12 Posts