The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-farming-equipment/winnipeg/claas-lexion-760tt-and-770tt-track-combines/1431569976?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

760TT's and 770TT for sale for very cheap. I talked to the seller, he is a tractor jockey out of Minnesota, the combines are somewhere vaguely east of there, although I'm suspecting more southeast in rice country perhaps to need tracks and RWD. He didn't really seem to know anything about them other than they look really good aesthetically, and one has very worn tracks. He figures that they will sell sight unseen and he will arrange shipping, what could possibly go wrong with that scenario...

No pickup headers which would be an expensive item to locate, but I haven't used a pickup for years anyways.

He did suggest that they are likely due for some internals, hence the price, but had no specifics, or pictures, what is the worst case scenario for parts at those hours, especially if they have been in rice?

Are there fundamental differences between a combine sold into that market vs. western Canada which would require additional modifications?

Would it be worth a plane ticket to go an inspect them, or will that not look like a bargain compared to local prices once rebuilding costs are figured in?

With 2016 (and finishing in spring of 2017) still fresh in mind, tracks and/or RWD are definitely on the wish list for the next combine upgrade, but wasn't expecting to find a TT for that price range.

·
Registered
465 Posts
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-farming-equipment/winnipeg/claas-lexion-760tt-and-770tt-track-combines/1431569976?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

760TT's and 770TT for sale for very cheap. I talked to the seller, he is a tractor jockey out of Minnesota, the combines are somewhere vaguely east of there, although I'm suspecting more southeast in rice country perhaps to need tracks and RWD. He didn't really seem to know anything about them other than they look really good aesthetically, and one has very worn tracks. He figures that they will sell sight unseen and he will arrange shipping, what could possibly go wrong with that scenario...

No pickup headers which would be an expensive item to locate, but I haven't used a pickup for years anyways.

He did suggest that they are likely due for some internals, hence the price, but had no specifics, or pictures, what is the worst case scenario for parts at those hours, especially if they have been in rice?

Are there fundamental differences between a combine sold into that market vs. western Canada which would require additional modifications?

Would it be worth a plane ticket to go an inspect them, or will that not look like a bargain compared to local prices once rebuilding costs are figured in?

With 2016 (and finishing in spring of 2017) still fresh in mind, tracks and/or RWD are definitely on the wish list for the next combine upgrade, but wasn't expecting to find a TT for that price range.
https://www.marketbook.ca/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/list/category/1112/harvesters-combines?Manu=claas&Mdltxt=lexion+760tt&YF=2011&YT=2012&SortOrder=2&scf=False

220-300 ish at dealers on marketbook asking price...for typcially same hours.

·
Super Moderator
3,036 Posts
Quite a few TT’s are not 4WD, the tracks are a much better option if by themselves.
As a result I doubt Claas sells any 4WD non track units.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Plane tickets are cheap. If you are seriously interested, and believe them to be well worth the money, buy a ticket and take a look.

·
Super Moderator
3,036 Posts
Hope the rest of the unit is is better than the upper feeder tin on that one.
Changing that would be money well spent as a seller.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Well, they are a Claas after all.:poking-with-stick-s

Makes a guy a little suspicious when they are cheaper than they should be. Also throws me off a bit when you see the cab isn't cleaned out and little things aren't cleaned up or touched up a little better for a picture when they are trying to sell it. For some reason, stuff like that seems to sit funny with me.

·
Registered
766 Posts
We talked to this guy about buying a machine a few months ago. Problem is I don't think you can go see them.....I doubt he has seen them either. He is a broker and obviously getting them from dealers and wants to send them directly to you sight unseen. The cheapest 770 has burnt off tracks so that is an expensive thing to replace. Anyway we ended up buying a machine off Tractorhouse.....750 with RWA.......yes Don you can get duals and RWA. It was a corn/bean machine from Illinois. We are very happy with what we got for our money . Got it home and had it inspected by the dealer. We have about 35k of parts ordered for it.....this includes new TM6 sieves and Sunnybrook cylinder and impeller. Could save 10k not putting in the Sunnybrook but figured we had it apart anyway. Also TM6 sieves are about 2k more than standard Frog Mouth but figured they would be worth it for canola.

·
Super Moderator
3,036 Posts
Anyway we ended up buying a machine off Tractorhouse.....750 with RWA.......yes Don you can get duals and RWA.
Oh I’m aware you can get that combo but overall there are fewer 4WD’s than track units sold.
I was certainly wrong to suggest no wheeled 4WD’s are sold, got me there, I meant few not none.

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
Hope the rest of the unit is is better than the upper feeder tin on that one.
Changing that would be money well spent as a seller.
I have almost zero issues with my machine, but that tin above the feeder always seems to bend. It's a weak spot.

I'd be interested simply to have a separate corn machine, but the fact that you are almost assuredly importing some very nasty weeds would sway me to pay extra for a local unit.

·
Super Moderator
3,036 Posts
When you “almost” get it right!

I have almost zero issues with my machine, but that tin above the feeder always seems to bend. It's a weak spot.
I believe that gets bent when the feeder plugs and the auger (straight cut or pickup) continues to churn/packs a whole bunch of material in the space between the auger and feeder chain before the auger gets operator shut off. Then reversing the feeder bends that tin.
4 times last fall had to set header off (3 times w/pickup, once straight cut) to clear the wad, feeder and auger jammed both ways with material.

Since auto stop came that’s dumb, feeder should auto shut off on feeder plug.
Very dumb.

Not relevant to the units in question as they don’t have auto stop, just trying to make future units better. Whenever they turn green!

·
Registered
273 Posts
My guess is that these may have gotten damaged by flooding somewhere thus the cheaper price tag. Photos shown may not be of the actual machines. Best to go look at them.

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
These combines are very rebuildable. If you did the work yourself for $20-30,000 you could do a lot of refurbishing. It would be best to see them and preferably talk to the previous owner. I am not sure about the emmisions issues from 2011-2014 and would want to check it out before you buy one. Some of the engines have caused a lot of problems or down time due to emissions.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think the price is reasonable for the location, year and hours and wear. Probably not even a great deal. Remember you are much closer to the factory, so much cheaper than here in Canada and the machines may have much, much more wear. The plane ticket would be money well spent.

Rice is very abrasive and internal metal wear could be large.

Corn gets threshed at about 5000 bushels/hr vs wheat at 1500 bus/hr and canola at 800 bus/hr. And soybeans grow close to the ground, so if you have sandy abrasive soil you are going to get a lot of internal wear. So remember that a corn combine will have the 3x the wear as a wheat combine will with the same hours.

If the combine costs $130,000+$10,000 frt + $25,000 more wear +$25,000 for pickup header that is $190,000. I think you could buy that locally for a 2011 year with 2000+ separator hours and then the dealer might stand behind it some if you have trouble. Also remember that claas does not have its own autosteer.

·
Registered
202 Posts
all these machines are pre emissions and the price is pretty reasonable but can probably talk him down a bit with transport included. i would check them out before buying a combine of that many hrs. things that get expensive are variable drives, electronic modules which seem to fail fairly often and the sieves but the sieves once there new you can run another 2000hrs on them so its not actualy that bad same with the sunnybrook parts. you might have to replace some chains and the feederhouse will have to be rebuilt but can do it pretty cheap if you do it yourself. bought a combine out of saskatchewan few years ago that ran in the snow and whole machine had rotten canola in it cleaned it out replaced some parts on it and it has been better than the other machine from dealer. a dealer would buy that claas for maybe 75000$ and change oil and make it look like it was serviced and turn around and sell it for 200000. if you have experience with a claas machine and feel comfortable rebuilding a combine yourself without dealer doing everything, it can be a good deal. we get one machine inspected in the winter and the repair quote we can usauly do ourselves for less than half just by outsourcing parts and looking at things that will cause major expenses down the road or during harvest.

·
Registered
880 Posts
i know one guy that bought a rice combine... that combine was absolutely ****** and needed the dealer to help fix it up, he did half the work himself and some stuff dealer had to come do.
his total expense was $67000,- (this did not include 2 new rear wheel tires and the 2 tracks needed on the combine)

RUN! tractor jokies buy cheap and its always cheap for a reason.
go buy at the local dealer and leave this adventure alone, its not the bearings or chains you should be worried about, its drive shaft with slop and boogie wheels loose and fuel lines ****** and gelled up, and motor having injector issues for some reason.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would NOT buy a combine unseen, plane ticket is cheap and always nice to see other areas... if he can't give you details don't ever consider the deal.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Was talking to a local machinery jockie about these, I guess the guy started with 5 of them. From one of the I states is what he understood. "He was looking to purchase 2 of them and bring them here for a quick jockie flip". Anyways, it sounds like they are repo machines from a large farm.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts