The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone tell me how to bypass the switch in the seat. 50 series. our fields are wet, danger spots lurking around every corner. every time I leave the cab to walk around and check the mud factor the header cuts out. thanks in advance. last saturday a neighbor had 2 combines and grain cart stuck at the same time. real team work.

·
Registered
683 Posts
On our 60 series my 4 foot tall aunt didn't weigh enough to trip the switch. I used a piece of wire to jump the halves together. It set a code but otherwise worked fine.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I had the same problems. Sometimes I want to check something or oil the chains. I use a piece of steel rail which I found is just heavy enough to put on the seat to bypass the alarm. I find my new combine frustrating. I can't even jump out of the cab for a pea while unloading the grain from the tank or grabbing something from the truck. It even turns that off lol. I can't lift my butt off the seat for more than a second to get a better look at the knife or canvasses and the whole thing comes to a halt. What a pita!

To turn the new combine off and on again takes about 30 seconds with the soft starts. Then, to top it off, the reel will start whipping like crazy and I have to readjust the reel speed to where I had it set before. Maybe JD doesn't have any of these issues but a NH sure does.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I might be overcautious but I slow my rpm down to engage header. I find this switch a insult to farmers with working brains. I realize the liability of kids or employees running the machine a see why it is in place. I would like to know what I need to remove switch and I would squeeze it and duct tape on it to complete the circuit. I don't want to damage anything and would put everything back as it is if I sold or traded the machine. how much of the seat needs to be removed to get at the thing? I have operated a combine for over 40 years without this inconveince and am still alive. thanks again.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,982 Posts
Well Hilton man, I also agree, why the **** wouldn't you turn the feeder off and idle down. It's people with 40+yrs of experience that usually get hurt due to carelessness or arrogance that they won't get hurt. What if you do a leg or ankle, rushing to look at the low spot, rushing to get back in the cab because the thing is screaming and rattling its head off empty, wearing your feeder floor and chains out.

That being said, the two pin black plug is right there on the floor under the arm rest. Just pull it apart and bend a split pin so it stays in and bridges the pins. Obviously Do the plug that goes into the bowels of the cab, not the seat end. After about eight hrs you will get a code that blocks out all your gauges. Just pull the split pin out and then put it back in. It resets that codes timer. Don't muck with the switch under the seat as you won't be able to reset the code. One split pin is all you need.

Be careful outside the machine. Beware of over confidence and rushing.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
accident waiting to happen. flick the header out and you really should kill the rotor aswell, if the header sytem shorted with the rotor going it could all kick back in gear. a guy years back (20plus years) was unchocking his header. did not kick the rotor out of gear, thing shorted, he lost his legs up the feeder house. :(

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
If I sat 8 hours straight through it wouldn't need a door latch because I would be so sore and stiff I wouldn't be able to get out of the seat.
Seriously ,I absolutely hate listening to a combine sitting at full throttle under no load with the head and separator running .

·
Registered
229 Posts
This is the first thing I do to our gleaners. It nice to trouble shoot or take a leak at the truck while uploading or going through the field with auto steer. Plus it is pain to re engage the clutch after getting out for just a second like to move a pivot or yell at truck driver. Find the seat switch wiring and find out if it is a normally open or normally closed circuit the in stall jumper to satisfy.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
whatley_posse;1454809 It nice to trouble shoot or take a leak at the truck while uploading or going through the field with auto steer. .[/QUOTE said:
Are you freaking serious?:eek: Of all the reasons to deactivate the safety switch, (which I have not done, but carry a 50# weight in case I need to oil/troubleshoot), taking a piss while auto steering threw the field is by far the stupidest and most dangerous.

Farming is a dangerous occupation, try not to compound it with extreme ignorance.

I am definitely by far not the safety police, but I read that and had a WTF moment.:confused:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I can see the headlines "Undertakers were unable to replace the farmers penis it was severed and lost when he fell off the step of his combine while urinating using auto steer ."
OHAS has said they will review if they need to be more involved in AG industries to prevent future incidents of this nature.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.