The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we check the oil each morning in out S67, most of the time there is none showing on the dipstick. We have to take the oil filler cap off or sometimes even start the engine let run for a bit and shutoff to check. Has anyone else run into this problem and is there an easy remedy?

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
When we check the oil each morning in out S67, most of the time there is none showing on the dipstick. We have to take the oil filler cap off or sometimes even start the engine let run for a bit and shutoff to check. Has anyone else run into this problem and is there an easy remedy?
Oh goody, I'm not the only one!;)

The Mercedes in my combine is the same, dry dipstick first pull.
Simply have to reinsert and pull to read actual level though.

I've seen this on other engines, anyone know why or how this happens?:confused:

Yours sounds like quite the procedure though, hope someone can help.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you pull the dipstick out so the handle is loose in the tube, let it sit for 15-20 seconds before putting it back in and checking again. On the steps that take you around to the rotor side of the engine, there is a sticker that says it needs time to level.

·
Registered
345 Posts
It is a vacuum on the tube. When I first had this experience with a new S-77 My heart really started to thump in my chest. But it is easy to just wait a few seconds and check it again. On the bright side atleast the dipstick on your combine is in a fairly easy access place. The new S-78 and S-88 has it located on the other side of the engine and if you have a "bull in the china closet" type of hired man he can easilly pull the dipstick out when the rotor door is opened. When it comes to locations of oil filters and dipsticks I am sure AGCO has a chimpanzee as the designer!

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
One hundred years engines have been around and now the dipstick doesn't work properly??? It is amazing what the super brilliant can overlook, I guess it's a little like putting a nuclear power plant in a tsunami zone...

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
One hundred years engines have been around and now the dipstick doesn't work properly??? It is amazing what the super brilliant can overlook, I guess it's a little like putting a nuclear power plant in a tsunami zone...
My thoughts exactly offroad!:D Next thing you know, someone will be recommending changing the air in your tires.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I`d rather have a dipstick cap that was 100% airtight, than a Nuclear powerplant in a Tsunami zone.:)
That super brilliant engineer has been around for a while, cause I have a 903 Cummins engine here, circa 1978, which has a dipstick that airlocks the same way as that Sisu.

·
Ken Adams
1,355 Posts
Takes mine about 60 seconds for oil in crankcase and tube to equalize.
Oh, a sight glass, only smaller, like is on hyd tank would be so nice!
Maybe, ehoff1, you have a blockage at base of your tube and maybe next oil change you could check

·
Registered
199 Posts
My thoughts exactly offroad!:D Next thing you know, someone will be recommending changing the air in your tires.
You mean you don't already do that? Especially in your vehicle. You need to change between winter and summer air. Summer air is lighter for better milage since summer air is warmer. Winter air is is heavier, helping with traction in the months where their could be snow to help you get through it better. If you run summer air to far into the winter there could be ill affects on your tire wear due to the heavy cold outside air and the warm light air inside them and vise versa for the winter air. :eek: :D

·
Registered
777 Posts
You mean you don't already do that? Especially in your vehicle. You need to change between winter and summer air. Summer air is lighter for better milage since summer air is warmer. Winter air is is heavier, helping with traction in the months where their could be snow to help you get through it better. If you run summer air to far into the winter there could be ill affects on your tire wear due to the heavy cold outside air and the warm light air inside them and vise versa for the winter air. :eek: :D
Wow. I did not know that.

Back to topic......The colder the engine, the longer it takes for the oil to level out in the tube. I pull mine and wait 15-20 seconds and then check. If you are not getting any oil on the stick, maybe you show add a few quarts and recheck.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Wow. I did not know that.

Back to topic......The colder the engine, the longer it takes for the oil to level out in the tube. I pull mine and wait 15-20 seconds and then check. If you are not getting any oil on the stick, maybe you show add a few quarts and recheck.
It's probably not as big a deal for you southern guys as your climate wouldn't have as big of temperature differences as we would have up here. ;)

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
:eek: I did not think of that!

Great, more maintenance I don't have time for.:rolleyes:
Man this place is a wealth of knowledge!:)
Thank you all so much!:D

Back to on topic, we who farm with the older low tech stuff, are under the impression that when there is no oil on the dipstick, you need to add oil. That this is an issue with anything is actually something I did not know! Whoulda thunk it?!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.