The Combine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
what do you mean by wet? anything over 13.5 is wet, we've once harvested 21% beans, not something I would recomend but when push comes to shove.
18% goes ok, its just harder to thresh, lots of unthreshed pods will give you a little bit of problems. plus feeding of the header can be a disaster when you don't have an airreel.
do you have a dryer to back you up.
plus a flexheader in the mud can really be a challange when not having your down pressure set right.

need to know moisture, header and dryer availability.
waiting for a killer frost could be an option but risking snow sure would kick you in the ass.
but at $9,- beans there's not much room for money to spend on drying etc.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I hear you guys, this year sucks. I've been getting stuck in the field left and right. Getting mud in the header, messing it up.....awful. Lowest i had was 12.5 highest 18.8.
Have over 25ha left, and a day and a half to get it done.....
Anyhow, keep the header up as much as you can so it doesn't pull in sh*t,I've been keeping the rotor @650-750rpm's.....that's all I got:0
Frost would help, but the weather here is in high 60's....and in a 2-3 days, they are calling for snow!?!?!?!?
Good luck

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have had good frost, have a dryer, and the combine has rwd. I'm mainly concerned about getting them to thresh.
We have a 635F auger type on a 9670STS.

What a year... I think we are ok but I know there's some corn around here that didn't make it to black layer.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
The answer to your question is to try it. If they thresh and the moisture is manageable (you are willing to dry them if required), and the weather is not promising, it would be time to go!

You can't manage moisture in the field, but you can manage it in the bin.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Dan how far along is bean harvest in your area? I've only seen one field of soys finished over here (north east of Grand Rapids). Beans are going down fast, saw a field that looked like wheat after a windstorm. Its going to be a long harvest...

·
Registered
261 Posts
I feel your pain my friend.....what can I say, good luck....I've been fighting this weather and harvesting the best I can....tired to go to the field today twice....2nd time got half way to the field and rain made me turn around.....

·
Registered
849 Posts
its not uncommon for us to harvest 17% beans. heck last year I did a lot of beans in the rain.

I have an 8820 with good bars and concave.

I would run the cylinder almost twice as fast as normal, normal dry beans I run the cylinder at 350-400 rpm. for wet beans I run it at 700 area.

I keep the concave in a similar spot. that way if it slugs I can simply open the concave, clean the plug out the rock trap, close concave and get going again.

you wont see beans splitting but you will see them mushing or flattened, if you are getting to many damaged ones then you have to open the concave some.

its no fun but it can be done.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
My question is, who's got their wheat in? Insurance date gone now and I haven't touched a bean yet. Of course part of that is because I'm still trying to chop some corn! Stuck 3 times in an hour last night. . . I am soooo glad I canceled my plans to plant wheat this year! On the other hand, that insurance check might have been nice. Man, how screwed up is it for me to be thinking that way?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.