The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys weigh your trucks for wheat going into car or do you just plug it full? Looks to me like producer cars are going to be the only way to get any money out of wheat!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
How do you find places to unload producer cars at the coast? Used to be CWB mandated, but now there is no law making anyone dump your car. Could sit for months or get charged outrageous amount to dump it.

May work ok this year because they are so short of grain at the coast.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All I know is that places like Johnstons and FarmLead are doing a lot of business loaded rail car. How does almost $6 sound compared to $4.16 Viterra? Have heard that they are slow to get though. CP is 8 weeks behind and CN is 12 weeks behind but all seems smooth on the coast end of things.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You need to know the weight of wheat going into a railcar because you can overload them and have to pay a penalty. With the heavy bushel weights this year you better be carefull.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Depends on the the line, the cars I loaded they only wanted 90 tonnes approx. some lines can take 95 to 100 tonnes, i think that is max for standard rail car.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
On most lines in this area is 268000 lbs or about 88-92 tonne depending on car, it will be about 3/4 full. You can call cn or cp and get your line weight, then when you car comes just simple math on its capacity that is labeled on the side.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Do cars have a center divider? Thus needing proper weights, front and back.
The ones I loaded had 4 compartments, I think most if not all are this configuration. I didn't load them myself but I think the outside carried a few tonnes more than the middle compartments.:confused: Mobile grain did these with a grain cart with a scale and extended auger, it worked pretty slick!

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
They have 3 or 4 compartments. The end ones are a bit bigger on the three compartment ones. You are supposed to load them equally in each compartment and ensure hump is in the center (side to side) so that the car won't tip.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The car will have its max load on the side, you will get penalized pretty hefty if u overload. I have to load some soon, watched a buddy do his, he just did a best guess based on his trailer gauges, that's what I will have to do. It's the way of the future.

·
Premium Member
8,232 Posts
If you were doing this on a regular basis a grain cart with scales would be the answer to knowing what was going where. You would likely have to build an embankment along beside the track to raise it up a bit.:)

·
Super Moderator
5,952 Posts
nicemustang, where's our loading siding here? I'm doing a counteroffer on some oats and he wants to know where my closest loading siding is.... I don't have a foggiest.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I make a pretty nice supplemental income reducing the weight on over loaded rail cars loaded by guys that *fill 'em up*:D. Max gross weight is 286,000 or 263,000 pounds depending on car & how heavy the rail is. Demurrage @ $75 / day can be expensive too. Loading your own rail cars takes a lot of planning & management. Oh - and don't forget to seal the lids & doors with numbered seals with seal numbers listed on bill of lading, & have the correct type of lading, loaded on a car less than 40 years old that can go offline...if the car has an X in the prefix then a different set of rules....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Has anybody had any experience getting a siding designated as a loading site. My closest siding (6 miles) is not on the CP list of producer car loading sites. I was in contact with CP before we went on holidays (2 weeks ago) left messages with area train manager out of Wynyard and Bradenberry but in true CP fashion I have not heard from anybody. Just want to know what the protocal is to have it designated. It is a great siding CP has hauled gravel out of it 3 times, I think it probably would spot 50-75 cars.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts