The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excuse my ignorance..but is it as simple as pouring the stuff into some water! There's no rain predicted now so I'm hesitant to spread urea and SOA, it's $500 a tonne for urea or 97 cents a litre for UAN...so it's worth doing some brewing I figure?

Any thoughts...

Ant

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in QLD...I arrived at site then was told they sacking 101 people....so I have my hands full...not sure if I'm one of them...what a year...

Yep it will rain this week but I'm not home....always the way...can't wait to be home full time...

Ant...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Need plenty of agitation and put the urea in slowly. For some reason urea decreases the temp of the water which then slows done the dissolving. Found out the hard way. Clogged up a borrowed 1000L batcher and took hours to clean it out. Apart from that it works ok.
Hope it's your choice when you return home full time and not someone else's!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Well Ant we have just made a old shuttle in to a mixing setup and just pump it round and round with firefighter for 5 or 10 and then shoot it in to coupe.

·
Registered
193 Posts
In my video, I state that we were using 650-675 gallons of water. Since then I use 700 gallons of water and blend in 2 metric tonnes of 46-0-0 over a 25-35 minute time period. the extra 25 gallons speeds up the dissolving process as I think we are a little farther away from the saturation point. That will give me about 1200-1250 gallons of 18-0-0. Using the formula in the video, the end product comes out as 18.12-0-0 according to a lab analysis.

Patrick

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, thanks for the info, the only way I have of mixing is in the fire fighting unit....if I add in slowly it should be ok? However I don't have access to clean water at my 100 acre block I suck out of a lake....this may cause me issues? I really need a truck ....

Ant...

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
haven't got a retired farmer nearby that could spread it for you?
even if you liquify it still needs rain in theory but in saying that even foggy mornings and cool day it will do the job
on urea saw some cracker barley crops yesterday south of tailembend that had 4 applications of urea at 25kg because the agronomist said so thought 2 at 50kg would achieve same result each time had rain or done in the rain. Im still questions the reasoning maybe one of you experts can help me as im only a sto

·
Registered
977 Posts
I fill the water tank a few days ahead of time to let it warm up in the sun a bit , then add the UREA over about 10 to 15 minutes as a 3" honda pump is drawing from 1 end and dumping back in the other end of a 4000 gal eliptical tank , we let it circulate for 2 tanks of gas in the pump and it is dissolved . Once the frost melts off of the pump and hoses it is pretty much completely dissolved .
We screen the dissolved Urea as it leaves our tank as it seems we can not get good clean Urea here , for some reason there always seems to be filler in it .

I add 6,000 kgs to 2300 +/- us gals (8500 kg) of water , we fill on a truck scale .
End up with just shy of a full tank and real close to a 19-0-0 blend .

Watch seedman's video , it is exactly as he says .

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
I'm not sure what would happen but some of you Jr. Chemistry types may want to try this: if you add some ammonia to the water the reaction will create heat which will in turn make your urea dissolve easier. I'm not sure what the chemistry of that would be so it might just not work but if you've got the ability to try it you might also be able to end up with a higher analysis solution.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.