The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you get the rotor loss down as low as possible? Have all round bars in a 9650 sts. We want the loss to be near zero.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
You'll have a very tough time getting it to zero, we fight this all the time. Here is the John Deere DTAC set of steps for solutions for this. Might wanna look for a bullet rotor. In our conditions it helps alot.

Complaint or Symptom :
High rotor losses when harvesting corn.

Problem or Situation :
Rotor losses can be experienced due to high yielding corn, tough threshing conditions and increased throughput.

Solution :
Step 1. Freshen up separator as required:

Inspect concaves and threshing bars

Replace worn concaves and threshing bars as needed

Level concaves to the rotor and calibrate concave clearance setting

Inspect discharge beater and grate.

Straighten or replace discharge grate frame if bowed down

Replace missing, damaged or worn discharge beater wings as needed

Step 2. Settings:

Install separator grate spacers to increase separation capacity in corn (refer to solution 61718)

Set the FAST on low speed to minimize cob damage

Set concave clearance to deliver whole or broken cobs with no splits

Increase rotor speed to increase threshing and separation ability until grain damage is unacceptable

Step 3. Improved parts:

Install a large wire concave into the first position to increase threshing and separating ability

Continue adding large wire concaves as needed to give the needed increase in performance

Additional Information :
Large wire concaves will increase threshing ability and separating capacity in corn

Large wire concaves may plug with corn husk and leaves in some conditions (brown leaves / damp due to rain, dew, snow)

Large wire concaves perform very well in soybeans

Install a Full feed accelerator beater assembly (10 wings + wear strips) to discharge beater to increase separation ability at the discharge grate.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks Lexionman575 for the info! I was not aware of the grate spacers....any chance you could include more info on that? Is this kind of info restricted to dealers, or can a farmer get their hands on it?

Thanks again,
Mike

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Quote:Many thanks Lexionman575 for the info! I was not aware of the grate spacers....any chance you could include more info on that? Is this kind of info restricted to dealers, or can a farmer get their hands on it?

Thanks again,
Mike

You can go to www.JohnDeere.co, agriculture and to tips and troubleshooting

·
Registered
894 Posts
Why do you suppose the STS relies on a rear dis-charge/separation beater? Is it because the STS rotor is less thorough when it comes to moderate to high yielding crops? CaseIH gets the job done without one and its rotor is similar in size to the STS's. Is it a better solution? The 8010 actually uses a rotor that is slightly shorter than the 2388's and it has more capacity yet without using a rear separation beater. I think that the STS acronym should be changed to CRC (Cylinder Rotor Cylinder) to reflect the truth behind the system..."a rotary that starts and ends with a cylinder for best results," and you can't argue with that because that is how the machine is designed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I think we already have the spacers....about 3/4". Maybe we should space all the way to 1"?

Has anyone tried adding large wire concaves at the front? This kinda makes sense to me. If we can get all the corn off the cobs earlier, there will be more time for it to drop though?

Anyone tried a helical concave in front of round bars? Would that be more aggressive than a large wire?

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
If you already have the spacers in that looks like your only choice. I Have stacks of concaves behind the building- Some were special "Experimental ones that almost have triangular holes. I'll look tommorow and see whats out there and post some pictures.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I agree with farmertony. why would a manufacturer build a combine that is supposed to have great capacity in the primary crops (corn wheat and beans) but won't thrash them. I guess it is the Harley Davidson model, sell the machine then make a lot more money on the accessories or kits.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Quote:Many thanks Lexionman575 for the info! I was not aware of the grate spacers....any chance you could include more info on that? Is this kind of info restricted to dealers, or can a farmer get their hands on it?

Thanks again,
Mike

"Install 8 H123918 spacers and 8 19M8292 bolts between the separator grates and the separator channel. For 9560STS combines add 6 spacers and 6 bolts. Add spacers to left hand side of the rotor separator grates to drop the grates down 21 mm. Do not add more than 25.4 mm. Use spacers only in Corn and Soybeans. Remove them for all other crops. "

Quote:change colors

Agreed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Changing colors is not an option for two more years, and then it will be difficult to find a good dealer. We could get to Ziegler Cat in Des Moines in about 40 minutes. Are they good?

Are you guys saying the STS has a fundamental design flaw for high yeilding corn? If so, what is it? I hate to throw new concaves at it without some feedback that it has worked for someone else.

Thanks for any and all opinions,
Mike

·
Registered
894 Posts
Quote:Changing colors is not an option for two more years, and then it will be difficult to find a good dealer. We could get to Ziegler Cat in Des Moines in about 40 minutes. Are they good?

Are you guys saying the STS has a fundamental design flaw for high yeilding corn? If so, what is it? I hate to throw new concaves at it without some feedback that it has worked for someone else.

Thanks for any and all opinions,
Mike

I wouldn't say that the STS has a "design flaw" as much as I suspect that its design is capacity limited, especially in bulk crops like corn. The CaseIH rotary system allows for much greater control over the crop's throughput, for greater thoroughness (in threshing & separating), than the STS system has.

·
Super Moderator
2,526 Posts
Quote:
Are you guys saying the STS has a fundamental design flaw for high yeilding corn? If so, what is it?

No, I'm saying the STS is fundamentally flawed in general.
In peas losses are significant regardless of feed rate or settings.
In canola feed rate limited to 40% of available feed rate to have any hope of holding on the shoe
High feed rates in barley result in the prettiest hills since forest lawn
And relatively speaking it does a sort of ok job in wheat.
Other then that it's perfect.
In my crops, my conditions, operated by me.
Results may vary.
But to answer why this?
The shoes is not only small it is hampered by auger bed material mixing system (MMS)
STS makes a nice acronym on the side but isn't aggressive enough separation with some crops
There's more but that should be answered by someone wiser than me.
Dam good thing Deere has such a good dealer network.
Their steel laurels aren't worth resting on.

Don

·
Registered
620 Posts
Why would spacers in the grate area improve/solve rotor loss? Like Muddy says the tine separation setup of the Deere already results in loss of control of the crop material in the separating area. Adding spacers to the rear grates would make the loss of control worse not better as the tines would not engage the crop material as well. If the tines are farther away from the crop material the crop mat in the grate would get thicker as well too.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
If there is loss in a Class 6 machine I wonder what the loss is on a Class 7 or 8 machine with the same rotor size?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The deal with the spacers are to allow the tines more room to move material thus shacking out more grain. It also reduces broken cobs that are caused by cobs that get in between the tip of the tine and the grate.

I don't really know everyone's conditions compared to ours but both of the sts's we have had love it when the conditions are tuff. Wet corn, or high yielding they have always done a great job, now the so so, or dry corn is where I have the most problems.

Before you waste time and money on anything do a power shut down and see exactly where the loss is coming from, just because you see free grain does not mean it's separation problem. I've found that deere's recommended concave settings to be a bit wide, but that's just me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts