The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Backwards 1st round, frontward 2nd, backward 3rd round, frontward 4th round, up and down after that. This way we can pick at the headlands without going all the way around and make it back to the trucks before we fill the hopper. Unfortunately no grain cart, lack of manpower.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I have 2 combines so I set GPS on both at centre of a quarter section and have both go straight down the middle then the left combine does the headlands (2) on the left, right on right this way the cart/truck can pick up from both combines without driving around the field. If the field is bigger than 1/4 I will usually only go 1/2 mile long and make 1/4 section fields.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Corn most of the time start on one headland, clean that off then start down the side and take the other one off also then back and forth to finish the field. Beans depends on the size of the field, most of the time I can go all the way around but sometimes I'll have to shave off one end first. Smaller fields, dad hauls with wagons, no grain cart either.

·
Registered
849 Posts
first lap is always counter clockwise.

I drive straight into corners, back up a little ways and make a second pass straight into corner. make turn and go up one side make a round on the other headland and come back down.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I guess I'm the odd guy here! We just do all the headlands clockwise. Cart follows us around on the bigger fields. If we need to dump, lead combine (usually me) cuts a 360º and dumps. Need to stop to dump on the first headland anyways, so what difference does it make which way you go?

Only time I can see that it can help to do the headlands with the auger into the crop is if there is a chance that the combine might get stuck. If the combine gets stuck, you can still unload if the auger is into the crop. Harder to do if the auger is over water! But honestly, I haven't had that happen (yet...hope I didn't just jinx myself!)....

Andrew

·
Super Moderator
5,149 Posts
I guess I'm the odd guy here!
Need to stop to dump on the first headland anyways, so what difference does it make which way you go?
No news from the first line.;)

For crop scooping reasons, alway like to go opposite directions in order to pick the slightly leaning crop created by dividing.
Also keeps auger side away from power poles, trees, pump jacks, etc., in case of forgetfulness.;)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Keep auger side towards the field. Seems to be easier to get close to the edge when you have all the controls on your right and watching that way. Same with seeding, spraying, etc. start counter clock wise. After the first pass usually go opposite directions for crop scooping.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
We've stuck with what has been traditional ( Don and others mentioned that ) by going counterclockwise on that first round and that goes for both combining or if its a swathed field as we have a lot of trees on field boarders or power poles. Older combines couldn't retract the auger and then reel drives with a belt on combine or swather were typically on the left also and branches could get caught in the belt and throw it etc and even the knife drive was traditionally on the left and would dig into the dirt on the edge of the field and be damaged.

Unfortunately we have no grain cart or man power to run one anyway so there are times I will chase down a combine part way around a field if I have time with a body job as one is trapped otherwise if 3/4 of the way around a field on the first round and then can't dump. We also always alternate the direction on the passes because of the pushed over crop at the header end. As well because of using tractor trailers we will do four passes of headland on that side of the field where the trucks are ( 25 or 30' headers ) and will swath four rounds with the 25' header. Once one cuts a field with a swather you can't change anything so we just do that to give us the room and two combines trying to pass each other on the headland to dump in trucks spotted along the edge.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Since most if not all is swathed, we both swathers cut counterclockwise and then clockwise giving 4 rounds or 120'. This is enough to turn the trailers around and so the augers are able to dump on the go. Swathing is the only time I will go clockwise. Like 9520 said, it is much more comfirtable to watch that right side since all the controls and monitors are there.

·
Registered
836 Posts
always backwards on first round and when going around sloughs...if you get stuck you should be able to unload
It would have been nice if our new operator had thought of that before he decided to turn around in a slough last year. The only time last year someone got stuck and he wasn't even in crop. It took driving a truck into the mud three times, the pulling it out half full before they could even start on the combine.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.