The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finally getting around to getting the box plumbed and wired that we put on a Mack we bought. Question is, how do I plumb it to the pump? Not sure of the exact pump off hand, but it only has two hoses on it, one comes from the hydraulic tank to the pump, then one from the pump out. Our other truck has three hoses to the pump, so this is a little different. I'm assuming there will need to be a way for the oil to flow back to the tank when the pump is running and the box isn't going up? Would like to put controls to the rear of the box, how have you guys done that? This project, like most things I do is running behind schedule!

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Smarter guys than me will no doubt chime in but 2 lines to the pump means you need an open center control spool. Just plumb the oil from the pump to the spool and back to the tank. And obviously lines from the spool to the cylinder. The easiest plumbing will be if the spool has a built in relief - otherwise you'll need to plumb that in as well.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
New to me truck I bought at the sale last week has the rear control.
That rear control is air operated.
The air over hyd valve is mounted on the reservoir tank.
Just check the pump numbers to make sure the pump spec is correct for the type of hoist you are using either post or scissor.
I can take a couple pics if you need.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Smarter guys than me will no doubt chime in but 2 lines to the pump means you need an open center control spool. Just plumb the oil from the pump to the spool and back to the tank. And obviously lines from the spool to the cylinder. The easiest plumbing will be if the spool has a built in relief - otherwise you'll need to plumb that in as well.
Thanks, that was kind of what I was thinking.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New to me truck I bought at the sale last week has the rear control.
That rear control is air operated.
The air over hyd valve is mounted on the reservoir tank.
Just check the pump numbers to make sure the pump spec is correct for the type of hoist you are using either post or scissor.
I can take a couple pics if you need.
Ya if you don't mind some pictures would help. Our other truck has rear controls, but they are electric and it's all set up right on the pump that's mounted right on the transmission.

Where would I find out if it's the right pump even? Have tried looking around, but can't find what I need, the box has a single acting scissor hoist.

·
Premium Member
5,221 Posts
Kevlar post some pics of both pumps and the plumbing like valves ect that you already have. There are so many different kind of pumps and setups that it is impossible to give any kind of an accurate explanation or anything without actually know what you have to work with.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kevlar post some pics of both pumps and the plumbing like valves ect that you already have. There are so many different kind of pumps and setups that it is impossible to give any kind of an accurate explanation or anything without actually know what you have to work with.
OK I will do, don't have any valves yet, thought I would start with the pump and figure it out from there.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
BEA93E0D-797E-4EA9-B24C-5691BAD01C48.jpeg
6289CFB5-5A71-4657-95B7-B74908C2A818.jpeg
ECABC494-B310-49A2-9EA8-5BCA16A76CB8.jpeg
57B7BBCD-2888-4277-80FF-05541DE3B836.jpeg
49B7B671-A2A8-4079-952A-B291429E406C.jpeg
6289CFB5-5A71-4657-95B7-B74908C2A818.jpeg

So this truck has a double acting scissor hoist with air over hyd controls.
Rear control has 4 air lines one is air supply the other 2 go to the hyd valve on the tank and the 4th is open to the atmosphere.
The pump appears like its a gerotor pump?
Definitely it has a relief valve in the system I hear it blow when the box comes down all the way.
This is a Ultracell set up, from Humboldt.
Its a lot of years ago years ago I phoned up to Humboldt they seemed pretty capable.
I'm sure they or Fort Garry can get everything you would need.

·
Premium Member
5,221 Posts
OK I will do, don't have any valves yet, thought I would start with the pump and figure it out from there.
There must be plumbing on your old truck, you might be able to reuse some of that, thats why I said show us both systems

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Excellent choice.
Once you know what the pressure and flow your pump is capable of by the model tag that will tell you what kind of hoist it is for.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a truck with a pump like you describe it has a telescopic gravel truck style hoist. One suction and one pressure hose coming off the pump. The valve on ours looks to be built into the pump

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's some pictures. The tank off the old truck has the pump inside it, driven by a shaft from the pto on the transmission, could take the pump out and plate the hole, but don't think the valves would work, it has a second valve on it that was never used, maybe was for a drill fill at one time?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,221 Posts
OK, so that looks like a Muncie gear pump, can't quite make out the model number, as that is how one would determine capacity and displacement so you know what kind of flow you are dealing with. Post it and then we can pull the specs on your pump. Doesn't look like it has an internal relief, so one will need to be installed somewhere if not in the valve itself.
Your old truck had the very common Williams piston pump set up with dual valves, they were a high pressure low flow setup. Looks as if at least the one was only single acting and the other double, which leads to another question for one missing piece of information needed, what kind of hoist do you have? From the prior plumbing it would appear it was only single acting, as in one hose, is this correct? And also what kind of hoist and how big are the cylinder(s). Reason this is relevant, too much flow can be a problem, so steps may need to be taken to deal with the pump output.

Nice golden cat btw, looks like he may have just had a squirt on the old dog lol

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You are correct with the single acting hoist, only one line, scissor hoist, will measure the cylinders best I can, not real handy with the box down. Was hoping you could make out the pump numbers! Just realized I might have uploaded the poorer of the two pictures, I think it is PK112BPBB??
That cat is one of my kids, not quite a year old, friendliest cat I have ever seen, almost like a dog, follows me everywhere, even when me and the kids go for a walk down the road, comes to the shop every time I go, and rides in vehicles. Is a great mouser, and caught a pigeon once. Had the sister to him but something happened to it last fall, not sure if coons would kill it or not, or a coyote got it. It was a great cat as well, orange with a bit of white, try guess what my 5 year old son named it?

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are correct with the single acting hoist, only one line, scissor hoist, will measure the cylinders best I can, not real handy with the box down. Was hoping you could make out the pump numbers! Just realized I might have uploaded the poorer of the two pictures, I think it is PK112BPBB??
That cat is one of my kids, not quite a year old, friendliest cat I have ever seen, almost like a dog, follows me everywhere, even when me and the kids go for a walk down the road, comes to the shop every time I go, and rides in vehicles. Is a great mouser, and caught a pigeon once. Had the sister to him but something happened to it last fall, not sure if coons would kill it or not, or a coyote got it. It was a great cat as well, orange with a bit of white, try guess what my 5 year old son named it?

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
If you go with air remotes for the valve, be sure to rig up a manual lever also. I've had numerous occasions when moisture in those little lines froze up and it wouldn't move with air at all.

·
Premium Member
5,221 Posts
I'll take Garfield for 100 Alex...lol

K, no listing for a 112, but that could be due to the pump being an earlier model no longer made. Based on current models, thats rated at 12 GPM at 1000RPM pump speed...and thats lots for your style of hoist, as it is going to be fast, IMO, too fast. Now one thing you got going for you, if I remember correctly, you got that 12 speed in that Mack right? So then you could run the PTO in one of the lower gears which would lower the GPM to a more acceptable level. Otherwise you would about only need a good sized single acting spool valve, might not be a bad idea to add a double acting spool one as well in case you ever wanted the second circuit for an auger or anything in future. Whats your best source on that kind of stuff? Here and for that kind of project I'd send ya to Princess Auto. Depends where you're buying as to what valves you will be dealing with is why I ask. And you will need a valve that has a relief valve built into it, which most common ones do, as in Gresen, Cross or BLB.
You want your tank bottom slightly above the inlet on the pump if possible, keeps a positive supply that way under all conditions. This also depends on where the suction line is connected to the tank as well.

Specs for your pump...

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks a million! Have an ag supplier in town that has pretty much everything I should need.

Correct on the 12 speed as well. Good memory!

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Those gear pumps are about as simple a machine as you will find but make absolutely sure you:
A) have a relief valve in the system and
B) have the relief on the right side of the system

If you get that sucker primed without a relief in the system it will absolutely blow the side out of the pump housing faster than you can imagine it. Go ahead and ask me how I know.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts